What's outside

Fictoria Doc (o flaen ein swyddfa) wedi rhewi!
Victoria Dock (in front of our office) frozen!

7 Likes

Siglen fraith yn fy ngardd y bore 'ma.
Pied wagtail in my garden this morning.

4 Likes

Gwawr hyfryd - Lovely Sunrise

Gwawr is also a girl’s name … and Merched y Wawr is the Welsh name for the women’s institute

2 Likes

This is a little late, but it was the sunset in Heilbronn, Germany on the last day of 2022.

8 Likes

Pa fath o blanhigion sy’n blodeuo y tu allan, yn eich milltir sgwâr, y mis hwn?

(milltir sgwâr = local square mile)

Dwi’n gallu gweld eirlysiau (snowdrops) - ‘lili wen fach’ yw’r enw llall/ enw arall

Machlud efo adar.
Sunset with birds, Essex.

7 Likes

Surprised this weekend by sudden appearance of frog-spawn/grifft in the pond :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

We have LOTS of snowdrops blooming here!

2 Likes

Joy! Spring is coming.

Slight veer from the main topic: on Friday I filled out the beaver reintroduction survey in Welsh, which includes a short questionnaire about beavers (the big water-dwelling rodents, that is, not anything else). I had no idea what the correct term is for a beaver kit in Welsh. I guessed ‘cenau’ but :woman_shrugging:

You all seem very well-informed about Welsh nature vocabulary. Do you know?

1 Like

Yes, cenau’s the term they use in this document about reintroduction of beavers https://www.northwaleswildlifetrust.org.uk/sites/default/files/2022-08/WBP%20booklet_Welsh_updated%20August%202022_0.pdf

1 Like

I’d say cenau too, but that’s not to say there mightn’t be another word.

But even if there is another word, they’ll know you meant ‘kit’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, both! It was a multiple-choice style test. The options were cenau, ci bach, cwb, llo, myn. Glad it looks as if I guessed right. : )

Yep, out of those, it’s definitely cenau.
ci bach = puppy
cwb = cub
llo = calf
myn = kid (goat)
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Mewn pryd ar gyfer Dydd Gŵyl Dewi: Cennin Pedr yn eu blodau yn fy nghardd yn Virginia, ger Washington, D.C.

Just in time for St. David’s Day, daffodils in bloom in my garden in Virginia, near Washington, D.C.

Daffodils 002-edited-sm

8 Likes

I don’t know the first thing about fungi, although I do find them beautiful and fascinating, so I was rather taken with this while on a walk in a nature reserve with friends on the weekend.

8 Likes

Okay - here are the fungi on our firewood pile. Obviously it has been a mild winter (so far …) Not as alluring as yours.

7 Likes

Very similar though, aren’t they?

Yes indeed, though yours are much more prolific. These are called shelf or bracket fungus and can be a problem if a living tree is infected. (I had to look that up…)

1 Like

Mae’r coed tân (firewood) yn pydru!

Mi fyddai Dewi Sant mor falch ohonot ti! :slight_smile:

2 Likes