Mastodon - Tŵt Cymru

I joined Tŵt Cymru when it was new, but as it was very quiet, I more or less forgot about it until earlier this year when a certain multi-billionaire started negotiating to buy Twitter and people started talking about Mastodon, which reminded me I already had an account.

Anyway… Having been reminded of Tŵt Cymru I logged in again and I’ve been using it over the summer. Of course now Mastodon is buzzing with people emigrating from Twitter, but I like toot.wales because it feels small and friendly and I don’t feel awkward posting in Welsh there. Also, because you get twice as many characters as on Twitter, I can post bilingually.

I’m @Dewines@toot.wales. Is anyone else there, or thinking of joining? There are a lot of people posting in Welsh from native speakers to new beginners having ago.

10 Likes

I joined just last week to test the waters. I’m @hrobisch@toot.wales

4 Likes

I’ve found you and followed you back.

3 Likes

I’ve just seen a message from Jaz (the Tŵt admin) saying, “We will be closing public registration on toot.wales for a while, in the meantime please use the invite function as needed.”

So if anyone wants to create an account, post here and we can invite you.

1 Like

I’m there as well (@melissawiley). I joined Mastodon at a large server in 2017 but was never really active there until recently, when I migrated my main account to a smaller arts & humanities-focused instance (zirk.us). My understanding is it’s wise to have a backup account in case your main instance goes down, and that’s how I found toot.wales, which is a lovely community! I do most of my posting at zirk.us but I really enjoy reading the local feed at toot.wales—to the extent that I, a Level 1 Challenge 6 learner, am able!

2 Likes

Shwmae pawb, here’s an invite link to get you in without the wait:

Just trying to manage the influx with some sense of grace, so it’s off and on with the registrations right now, but please use the above link as needed. And don’t forget the #ymarfer tag :grinning:

9 Likes

Thank you for all the work you put in to keep things runnning smoothly.

2 Likes

Me too

1 Like

Like @margarethall I joined when it first started, but then didn’t use it for ages. It seems I had nothing to do at one moment when I was moving to the Basque Country, as my last Tŵt was from then :laughing:

I’m back in though - just have to remember to check it a little more frequently! I moved here over 2 years ago!!

I have a question though. So far, I’ve just used it in a browser on my laptop. Is it available as an Android app? If so, how do I find it? Do I need to download the Mastodon one and find my way to Tŵt Cymru through that?

1 Like

There is an official Mastodon app available on Android, but from what I have heard it lacks functionality compared to the web version (and the rating on the Play Store is accordingly low) – I found “Tusky” with a better rating, and I like the interface very much, and from what I can see it’s used by many people. I’ve also seen references to “Metatext”, which seems to work well, too, but I don’t know more about that.

Edit to add: Once you are in whichever app, you can log in to your Mastodon instance. This is pretty much the only time you’ll have to enter your “full” user-name including the server. (And when you do, you’ll find a new follower :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

I signed up to Twt some time ago and it sppears like many stopped using it. So with the uncertainty of the future of Twitter, which was never a great forum for posting in Cymraeg it was nice to see I aleady had a Mastodon account ready and will explore using it. MightyG@toot.wales

3 Likes

Thanks for this post and for making me aware of Tŵt Cymru. It looks a great place for all things Welsh, especially the language and fabulous photographs from across Cymru.

I’m @DarrenCaerdydd@toot.wales

Darren.

3 Likes

Just to add, the site itself -is- an app, it’s not easy to quick grasp but you can “install” the Web site and it will function exactly as an app with all features. I also use pinafore.social in the same way.

2 Likes

I’ve never been a fan of Twitter and only have a profile there for work purposes but in the light of recent developments in the twitterverse and having seen this thread, I’ve now opened a profile on toot too (@siaronj) but I warn you all now, I probably won’t post a lot so don’t expect too much if you follow me!
Although I’m ok with Facebook, I just can’t seem to get my head around these twitter-type platforms :woozy_face:

4 Likes

I’ve recently signed up over on mstdn.science, but just used the invite above to set up a separate account on Twt Cymru. If you’ve just been followed by some random person, that might have been me :smiley: @SaraRassner@toot.wales

3 Likes

I’ve just signed up as well, I’m currently working through week 11 of the course. My username name is @dlewis1a on Twt Cymru.

2 Likes

Just joined & would welcome followers - @swollox@toots.wales

4 Likes

I too joined recently @Sabine@toot.wales :blush: still finding my way …

1 Like

I just joined, too: @gwalchnos. My display name is Anne in Virginia, the one I use on Slack. I’ve found and followed some of you, and you’re welcome to follow me.

I was never on Twitter, and it will take me awhile to learn the platform, so I may not post a lot immediately. I will boost your posts, however!

1 Like

Why the #ymarfer tag? I put it in my profile and followed you.

2 Likes