Eisteddfod Genedlaethol 2023 - Llŷn ac Eifionydd

You do need to fiind your own accommodation. I camped on site (had to pay) last year and stayed in a hostel nearby in 2019. Accommodation nearby is usually snapped up really quickly. If you widen the area you are prepared to travel from you’ll have better choices. In 2016 I stayed 13 miles away from Abergavenny, but in England. There are usually special buses laid on from nearby towns to faciltate travel.

1 Like

@margaretnock May I ask how you usually handle buying the tickets to the Maes? Can I wait until mid-July to see on which days I’ll be stewarding (if any) and then buy tickets accordingly, or should I just but the tocyn wythnos now to be safe either way and then work out a refund?

@Hendrik , I just volunteer for every session so I get in for free on those days, and they mostly give me 2 sessions a day (never more than 2), so they give a food voucher as well. You can always buy tickets on the day. £130 for a weekly ticket, £20 for a day ticket. What you can’t guarantee is exactly where you’ll be sent, as a volunteer, but you can indicate on the form areas of interest. An evening session is likely to send you to the main pavilion and you may get to see the ticketed events, but you might not. Last year there were no big screens at the entrances where stewards could see what was happening on stage as had been possible in previous years. If I were you I’d just wait and see what your rota is and buy on the door. Perhaps you can buy two or three days worth on your first visit so you don’t need to queue each day, but that’s only a suggestion.

2 Likes

Thanks Margaret. Good to hear from someone who’s actually been there, done it, as they say.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any ideas of schedules for the shuttle buses? Will they be running late to Caernarfon? Is it practical to be staying in Caernarfon, relying on these buses and still be stewarding any time from 9.30? to 22.30?

Last year in Tregaron, the last shuttle bus was leaving the Maes at 11pm, so I hope they’ll have a similar time-table this year. Early morning stewarding may be more complicated, as the first shuttle arrived at around 10am. So in order to get there earlier, you may have to rely on normal public transport buses.

Here’s the timetable for the main stage (Llwyfan y Maes):

1 Like

Photos of some of the preparations in Pen Llŷn

FB_IMG_1688298955235

4 Likes

Is anyone still looking for self-catering accommodation for the Eisteddfod week?

Here’s a selection from Sykes cottages in the Eisteddfod area.

I gave up trying to find if there really are shuttle buses to Caernarfon (I think there aren’t, after talking, twice, with Nefyn Coaches) and am camping on site. No sign of the Cymdeithas yr Iaith campsite which I think used to be a ‘thing’, before covid.

I’ve phoned the Eisteddfod directly with these enquiries but to no avail. I’ll keep trying to get some sensible information for you, so fingers crossed.

In the meantime I’ve found this from Teithiau Elfyn Thomas

Also see this post -

https://cymdeithas.cymru/steddfod23
“Gwybodaeth am wersylla i ddilyn” - So there will be camping, but details are not yet available.

1 Like

Diolch Rob! I searched and searched but couldn’t find anything!

Just as a side note, the Cymdeithas gigs are at the Nanhoron Arms in Nefyn, see the map below which shows the Nanhoron Arms and the blue flag which shows the site of the Eisteddfod - it’s a 10 minute drive from one to the other:

I have just been told that at the moment discussions are taking place regarding shuttle buses. and that more information will come soon!

I’ll let you know as soon as I receive more news.

1 Like

I’ve been told that the below service will also be running throughout the Eisteddfod week :slight_smile:

The Eisteddfod newsletter of 25 April says

“We’ll have details of extra bus services from different directions at the beginning of May, so you can come along and enjoy without having to worry about the car.”

They haven’t published these details, two months later. I’m not impressed. In 2019, Llanrwst, I managed to stay in a hostel within walking distance. Last year in Tregaron I paid an arm and a leg to be on site so as to fulfil any volunteering duties sent my way. Camping. Without electricity. Not a problem, except minimal charging facilities for phones. This year it would have been good to know if I could have paid the same arm and leg to stay somewhat more comfortably, including charging facilities, in Caernarfon. But six weeks before the start, to not know about transport. It could be considered to be a bit of greenwashing.

1 Like

https://cymdeithas.cymru/steddfod23

“Gwybodaeth am wersylla i ddilyn”

The sentence is right a the bottom of this page, just below the information on the Awst 12 gig. Having said that, no one is making it easy for people to make decisions about where to stay or how to travel if they’d prefer not to drive.

1 Like

Calling all Welsh learners!

Www! Sbiwch be sydd 'di cyrraedd pnawn 'ma! :star_struck::eyes::raised_hands:

Taflenni newydd sbon i ddysgwyr - ‘Cymraeg at the Eisteddfod’

Mae’r rhain wedi cael eu creu ar y cyd rhwng yr Eisteddfod Genedlaethol, Iestyn Tyne, Esyllt Maelor a’r Ecoamgueddfa! Mi fyddan nhw ar gael o safleoedd yr Ecoamgueddfa yn fuan!

Mi rydym yn edrych ymlaen yn ofnadwy i’ch croesawu i’n pabell yn yr Eisteddfod ym Moduan mis Awst. Rydym wrthi’n brysur yn paratoi rhaglen llawn dop o sgyrsiau, lansiadau, gweithgareddau a mwy ar eich cyfer. Bydd rhagor o fanylion i’w cael yn agosach at yr amser.

Oohhh look what arrived this afternoon! :star_struck::eyes::raised_hands:

Our brand new pocket guides to ‘Cymraeg (Welsh) at the Eisteddfod’

These lovely guides were produced in collaboration with the National Eisteddfod, Iestyn Tyne, Esyllt Maelor and the Ecoamgueddfa! They will be available for free from the Ecoamgueddfa sites very soon!

We can’t wait to welcome you all to the Ecoamgueddfa tent at the Eisteddfod in August. We are finalising the week long program as we speak, and it’s a good one! From talks, book launches, to events, there’s going to be something for everyone! We’ll share more info closer to the time.

Dwi wedi bwcio bwthyn ym Morfa Nefyn dros wythnos Yr Eisteddfod Cenedlaethol. Dwi’n mynd i fynd am y tro cyntaf am gwpl o dyddiau.

I’ve booked a cottage in Morfa Nefyn for the Eisteddfod week. It’ll be a holiday for my partner and daughter, and a chance for me to practice some Welsh. And also, a chance for my daughter to experience Welsh cultural event. We live in Bedfordshire, no Eisteddfodau there.

1 Like