Cymru - I'm coming! (and a bit of help please)

Disgwl ymlaen hefyd.

Isn’t that ‘chwarae teg’? That’s what I’ve always said. @Iestyn would then say , “chwara” and @aran, “chwarae” - yes?/no?

You might be right - I’ve never claimed to be error free - especially in my written Welsh.

It’s the main thing that everything is understood and I understand all perfectly well.

Diolch yn fawr iawn i chi bawb! :slight_smile:

I was asking for information! (@aran Help!!)
I wasn’t correcting you, Huw!! Noway could I!!!

Sorry - I misread your intention.
The dictionary spelling is, of course, “chwarae” but, on checking via the ever-faithful Google, I saw that there were quite a few examples of “my” (mis)spelling “chware”. The variation in the pronunciation of “ae”, “au” etc throughout Wales is the same as in any other language. People like me say “Cymraag” for Welsh, “Traad” for feet and “Traath” for beach and I’ve even seen @aran write “isho” for “eisiau” (or “moyn” as I say).

Vive la gwahanol. :laughing:

1 Like

Indeed - and we had the discussion about pronunciation of “naeth / naethon” in another thread. I was listening carefully to recent editions of the (very northern) Rownd a Rownd, and clearly heard “naeth” pronounced “naath”, which is actually what I think I learned in the SSiW early (northern) Courses, so I was not surprised. But the “ae” in “naethon”, “naethoch” is (to my ears) quite different.

(BTW, when I wrote about “chwara”, I was of course only meaning how it sounded, not how it was spelt).

p.s. example of a RaR “wnaeth” at 3m 12s here:
http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtml?programme_id=529479613

(at 5.15 there’s a “chwarae teg”, but it’s not very clearly spoken).
(at about 7.40 there is a “chwarae”, which sounds like “chwara” which is what I’d expect to hear in RaR).

(in passing, at 12.44 we have a clear example of the (different) pronunciation of “wneith” (as distinct from “wnaeth” I mean).

I had to look harder for an example of “Wnaethoch”, but there is one at about 4.53 in this episode:
http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtml?programme_id=529479592
and although the speaker isn’t the clearest, I think it’s definitely different from that usually used in “wnaeth” by the northern speakers in this series (and again, I think it corresponds pretty well to what I remember of the northern Courses).

1 Like

Well, now one more question which I believe @faithless78 whould be one of the most relevant to answer (hope I’m not wanting too much):

I’d go to see St. Fagans open air museum and it’s short distance from Cardiff (as much as I could establish from the map). Where to look for the busses and eventually even buy the ticket(s) for it?

Oh, and sorry if I seam annoying to you wanting to buy everything online but I tend to take with me as little cash as possible so I am trying to buy all travelling and “visiting” tickets online. I certainly want to spend cash I’d take with me for other things then paying tickets :slight_smile: (in hope that my Visa, Mastercard or Diners are well accepted in UK (which I have no doubt they are anyway)).

Helo @tatjana. A really excellent journey planning facility is to be found here Traveline Cymru. You just enter where you’re travelling from and to (St Fagan’s museum is a listed destination) and when you want to leave (or indeed arrive) and you’ll be presented with a list of journeys including walks to and from the bus stops and the bus detalis.

If you can’t access this website from where you are, just PM me where you’ll be leaving from and the date & time you’ll be leaving and I’ll be happy to send you your list of bus options.

Thank you @hewrop . I just did that in their Android app but I’m a bit annoying since I can’t save the journey plan I’ve choosen. I thought to have it at hand when being there in Cardiff but obviously app doesn’t work this way.

Otherwise the app is great. I’ll take a look if I can save this same thing on their Website. I’d be happy to log in an ddo that but I didn’t see the way for it to be possible in the app though.

Shwmae Tatjana,

For St. Fagans, the 32A service will take you direct to the museum. It is operated by Easyway, and will be a white single-decker bus, usually with St.Fagans branding on it. I’m not sure how much their fares are, but I’m pretty certain you buy the ticket on the bus. I’m also certain that they will do a return ticket for you too.
The nearest stop to where you’re staying will be at Cardiff Bridge, outside the Holiday Inn and an Irish-themed pub called Callaghan’s. If you walk out of Sophia Gardens onto the main road, cross over the River Taff (should be on your left before you cross), and cross over the road at the crossing outside Bute Park, the bus stops are there. I believe it’s the first one you come to which you’ll need.
As for times, I’m not too sure on that, since my company doesn’t run that service, but there should be a timetable at the stop, or you can look online at https://www.traveline.cymru . I think it is a Monday - Saturday service only as well, but check the Traveline Cymru website.

EDIT to correct the stop I suggested. It’s actually the 2nd one along outside Callaghan’s, not the 1st! The 1st one is usually for buses serving Canton, which the 32A does, but for some reason it’s marked up on the 2nd stop! No biggie really, since both stops are close together, so you shouldn’t miss it anyways!

WOW! Thank you @faithless78! A lot of useful informations. Checking now. Diolch.

1 Like

Any experiences here? I’ve registered on Traveline.Cymru site but entering the app on my tablet it is nowhere to sign up. Is there any hidden thingys or it’s really nowhere to be able to log in?

Oh, I hope I’ll stop bother you at some point though. - hehe :slight_smile:

Does dim rhaid i gofrestru, dw i’n siwr 99%. I’m 99% certain there is no need to register to use the Traveline Cymru app.

1 Like

It is if you want to save the things you’ve searched for. App is good for searching but not for saving plans as it doesn’t offer possibilities to save anything even if you’re registered. You can save to favourites the timetalbes, but when you want to call them back you don’t get them - the favourites folder is empty.

The site is a bit different thing. It’s quite good and you have everything in your profile if registered and signed in.

Otherwise, ja, you don’t need to be registered in order to use the app. It’s 100 % sure not just 99 % :slight_smile:

My favourite and only app is a paper & pencil :wink: (& I’ve been a computer/IT enthusiast for nearly half a century)

3 Likes

@tatjana, screenshot the page?

Yes. I thought about that and I believe I’ll do that. I will have WiFi where I’ll live in Cardiff, but anyway.

Estoy totalmente listo, hombre… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think I’m techie enough to help with the app issue, but here at least is the St Fagans bus timetable (I hope!):

3 Likes