Cymru - I'm coming! (and a bit of help please)

The easiest option for you for the Eisteddfod tickets, probably, will be to see if they will let you pick them up ‘on the door’. If not, you could get them sent to me - I live close to the Mochyn Du also so it would be easy for you to pick them up from me when you arrive. PM me if you’d like my address.

That we wouldn’t just find out we’re neighbours. - hehe. :slight_smile:

Here is the site of Eisteddfod where one can purhcase tickets online.

But “awkwardy” puts questions again. … If I take day tickets for Monday and Wednesday is this perfectly enough for me? As I said I don’t have the slidest idea how it all looks like, what is “separated” and where you can “move” around with that ticket. I also have no imagination about all hose "Maes"es you’re talking about. I might appear dumb as the wood from which my desk consists but if one wasn’t somewhere then it’s hard to know what you’re actually talking about and what you can expect to see/visit despite I’ve visited their site and took a look at some things …

Did you miss my post yesterday, Tatjana?

My guess is that you’ll just have to buy your ticket(s) on arrival at the Maes.
The information on the website is unfortunately full of gaps and ambiguities but here is my understanding.

1. A Tocyn Maes currently costs £20 per day and gives you access to the Maes and the pavilion BUT with no reserved seats.
  2. My own ticket was delivered by post and I could find no possibility of printing my ticket at home.

I assume that you should be able to buy all your day tickets on the
first day you come, so that you will not have to queue on each
subsequent day.

If these don’t cover your queries, can you let me know exactly what you’re unsure about? I’ll then try to be more specific.

2 minutes later - let me try to paint a word-picture of what you can expect.
Abergavenny/Y Fenni is a pleasant market town not too far from the English border and is not heavily Welsh speaking. The Maes (the main site of the roving annual Eisteddfod) is within the town limits this year. It consists of a large area with crowds of Welsh speakers and learners and others milling about and “bumping into” friends. Temporary walkways provide protection from what can (not always) be a very muddy week.

This page gives a schematic layout of the various stands that contribute to the overall experience of your day(s) Maes lcations. They consist not only of a wide range of cutural spots and performance facilities but stands representing different clubs, societies and institutions. The focus of the Maes is, of course, the Paviliwn where the main events such as the Crowning and Chairing of the Bard take place. As I mentioned above, your Tocyn Maes gives you access to everything including the Pavilion (without seat reservation).

You have made many friends on the forum @tatjana, and, as one of them, I am keen to make your visit as enjoyable as possible so don’t hesitate to ask here (or by PM) if you can think of any other way I can help.

Paid a phoeni - you WILL have a great time.

1 Like

No, @hewrop, I didn’t miss it, of course not, but thoe Maes thingys (as there are 4 (?)) are confusing me a bit.

You painted this picture very well. Thank you.

Will try to book tickets online or just make another call tomorrow. :slight_smile: (I could get used to this …) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think @hewrop has explained Y Maes, but Maes B is the area for musical performances - it may be what is left of the young peoples’ hang-out zone, I’m not sure! Maes D is just a fancy name for the Learners’ Tent and area around it. @aran will be there, I imagine, and probably @Iestyn too. All ready to answer your questions!

I just typed and deleted a screed about how the Eistddfodau came about. If you are interested, let me know! (Or look up Iolo Morganwg on line!)
All you really need to know is that there are some ceremonies which are interesting to attend. The main one is the Chairing of the Bard on Friday, which you’ll miss! Second in importance is the Crowning on Monday, which you could attend, but I think you need a researved seat in the Pavilion, valid at 16.30 which is the usual time for the Ceremony, The crown is made specially by a local craft person and is awarded for the best free verses on a subject chosen by the Committee. If no bard’s verses are judged good enough, the crown is not awarded and ends up in a museum!

Some time on the Monday morning I think there will be a procession on the Maes to the Gorsedd Circle. This should be a ring of big rocks, but I think they now use fake ones! This will be led by the Arch Druid and consist of the Gorsedd in various coloured robes and people to be welcomed into the Gorsedd. You do not need a special ticket for this, but I don’t know the time or exactly where on the Maes the Gorsedd circle will be set up. You’d need to ask on arrival if interested!
p,s, I am no expert! I only know what I’ve picked up over the years. I’ve never attended, only watched on S4C! I’m not sure, but if he is not too busy, @garethrking is probably the person on the Forum best informed about the Eisteddfod.

1 Like

Good point, @henddraig. Maes B is actually at a separate location as shown in this schematic map: Meysedd locations 2016
I’m afraid I can’t tell you anything about charges for events at Maes B but I’m sure there are others who can,
Maes D (Babell Dysgwyr) is actually inside the main Maes and is included in your Tocyn Maes. I was hoping that @aran & @Iestyn would be there on Wednesday so that I can practise my Spanish (Joc bach, bois! :wink:)

1 Like

I bet I’m not, actually. I’m not much of an eisteddfotwr myself - I think I may have hinted at that in the Colloquial Welsh textbook (end of Unit 8!). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maes B have their own website http://www.maesb.com/tocynnau/ the season tickets for Maes B include camping on the Maes B site, but they also give you access to the main eisteddfod site, but it looks like you can also buy a one off Maes B ticket for individual concerts.

Oh, shame on me but this one I didn’t buy yet. :slight_smile: so something more on my buying list for the future.

Thank you @garethrking for your kind reply. :slight_smile:

Thank you all the rest of you too. You are very helpful. I’ve e-mailed Eisteddfod today (yn Cymraeg) about buying tickets online especially because Slovenia is not on their list. Guess what happened?

They added Slovenia so I can buy tickets online! And they assured me I could get them at the gates which I hope will be actually what I would like to do. Now I just have to buy them and I’m sorted with this also. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

So is this the young peoples’ section? OK, I could look on that site, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to tell!![quote=“tatjana, post:30, topic:5400”]
They added Slovenia
[/quote]

That impresses me too!! Da iawn Y Fenni!

2 Likes

it’s for any age (over 16) but the music they put on (pop/rock rather than classical or traditional) would appeal more to a younger age group, but I’m sure plenty of older people go as well.

Mae’n ddrwg gen i. I didn’t think to check your published works, I was too busy trying to think of someone in academia who might go to Eisteddfodau to support students or give talks!
I have to admit to lack of having read most of your books, mainly because, if I’m not old enough to be your Nain, I am certainly more than old enough to be your Mam! When I first learned yr hen iaith, your books were many years off, which no doubt explains why I still need to re-learn now!!

1 Like

I did this yesterday. I’ve registerred a day ago but since there was no Slovenia on the list I couldn’t complete my data. I came back yesterday night again and yes, Slovenia was added so I could complete my registration, this time I’ve registered and bought my tickets all through their Cymraeg pages. I didn’t resort to English when I was asked to enter my card number and data and neither I did that when finishing the process of buying. I now just hope the tickets will really wait me at the main door as I’ve written into the comment while buying - yn Camraeg also of course.

Do gst do hoof so you can expect me strolling around Eisteddfod area … :slight_smile: I surely will wear one of the signs of Cymraeg learner/speaker being it SSiW T-Shirt, Cyraeg badge @margaretnock gave me back in April or might be even that famous dredlock hat if it would be cold enough. However cold like for wearing hats means around 0 or -1 and lower temperatures though what it surely won’t happen yet there … :slight_smile: But, I might put it on just for fun of it, because it’s so awesome! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It would keep your head dry in the rain too, no? :grinning:
p.s. Awesome, your total registration in Cymraeg!!

If it wouldn’t be heavy rain, yes.

Diolch yn fawr iawn. :slight_smile:

p.s. Awesome, your total registration in Cymraeg!!

What @henddraig says. :clap:
In this situation, people round here, and further South, say “Chware teg” which, I’m sure you know, means “fair play” - but I and others also use it to indicate our acknowledgement of someone’s achievement and tenacity.

Felly - Chware teg, @tatjana :grin:

3 Likes

Diolch! :slight_smile:

Phiew … a week to go.

Next week this time I’ll already be firmly in London staying there overnight and then in the morning next day on my way to Tresaith … :slight_smile:

Used in the north as well, I’m fairly sure, with the same meaning. Well, it might sound more like “Chwara teg” …

Felly, Chwara teg, @tatjana :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dw i’n siwr byddu di’n iawn. Disgwl ymlaen at dy weld di ;).

1 Like