Worldwide map of Welsh speakers

No can do! No mobile phone! Not all of us have coverage where we are likely to be! If I had one, I’d record, “Rhaid i’mi mynd i’r dre i anfon hon!”

There is a “tips” for Welsh as well.
When I tried it, I found there seems to be a limit of about 50 characters of the text you can submit with the video. My phrase was within the 5-10 seconds they recommend, but my text would have been a bit longer than 50 characters, so I’ve given up for the time being.

Thanks, Mike - I hadn’t see that

If people are willing to record bits of themselves speaking Welsh, there’s a project to build a national corpus of Welsh looking for every bit of the language they can get right now:

2 Likes

@Deborah-SSi
Hi Dee I struggle to navigate round the SSiW forum… What does putting a group on (y) Saith Seren mean… does this refer to the Wrecsam centre?

Are you looking at the map at the top of this thread? It’s not a SSiW map, just one that people in general are using. The different categories are colour-coded.

1 Like

Yes, this Braw map has few SSiW markers for at the moment. Maybe people are worried about privacy issues or it getting out of date… I think I now understand what @gruntius and @johnwilliams_6 were doing and talking about in this thread. Diolch i ti, @Deborah-SSi

Tried twice just then to add myself. The site said Diolch yn fawr, but when I look at the map there is no marker.

I’ve just checked and my marker from early days is still there. The map is nothing to do with SSiW, so if anyone has any difficulties you’d need to get in touch with the creators. I haven’t heard much more about it since it was launched.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m on there, now. I just worked out how to do it: Skewen, to the East of Swansea :slight_smile: Also I noticed that someone else on the same road as me is on there. I need to investigate :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s on now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shared on Facebook and Twitter

1 Like

I just added a yellow marker for myself. :grinning:

Great! I did too. I wonder how it compares with the SSIW map. I find it really exciting to see so many people learning and speaking Welsh all over the world :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I wonder how it compares with the SSIW map

There is certainly some overlap because I’ve just found I’m on the map and I’ve no recollection of entering my own details. :worried:

All resolved here with apologies

Oh dear…

Hmmmm… they certainly haven’t asked for or been given any access from us, so I hope very much they haven’t just copied entries…

[Edit: doesn’t look like a copy, because you’re HuwJones on our map and just Huw on theirs… hmmmm…]

Curiouser and .curiouser! I’m not worried, though. It is well within the bounds of possibility that I may have done it myself and forgotten. Who are you, by the way? :laughing:

All resolved here with apologies

1 Like

It was mentioned in the newsletter when it was first published, so maybe you jumped in then and forgot about it.

2 Likes

Or as I tend to say these days, when in any kind of doubt…

’WHAAAAT???’!!

1 Like