Wher is lesson 6b

Hi can anyone tell where I can find lesson 6b on utube, Diolch

Iā€™m sorry, what?

Lesson 6b is right here: https://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/course1/lesson6

1 Like

Sorry @Wendyfisher I donā€™t recall Lesson 6b would ever be on YouTube ā€¦ The link is that one which @wrenmoyer posted and itā€™s here on SSiW. :slight_smile:

Happy 6b learning. Itā€™s fun, believe me!

1 Like

howeverā€¦ If youā€™re using the NEW layout, Lessons 6b AND lesson 6.2 both appear to be missing (unless they have all been merged together, which they donā€™t appear to be!).
Weā€™ll have @aran add this to the fix-up list for when Ifan returns from his holiday.

Hi thanks for that. Iā€™ve been following the course on utube and doing extremely well. I really get on well with hearing and seeing the words/sentences, then responding in Welsh without looking at the Welsh slide, then checking to see if I have it correct. I can then make up sentences in my ā€˜minds eyeā€™ in Welsh . ( if you can understand what I mean . Iā€™ve learnt the Welsh alphabet so I wonā€™t get confused with the English alphabet .
Iā€™ve tried the new verbal only lessons on line but I feel totally blind because you canā€™t see the words to start with and its impossible to begin to get your tongue around a difficult sounding tongue twisting word that Iā€™ve never seen and therefore canā€™t
Process this in my brain ( itā€™s the way I learn, I guess and every person will say the word slightly differently) I will listen to more, and I will do as many lessons as I can find on utube,but I think I have hit a full stop. Iā€™m feeling rather disappointed about this as I thought I had found the perfect course for me, verbal only doesnā€™t work for me, I need to see as well.
Is there anyone else like this or am I the only one?

Ah, good catch - weā€™ll have to figure out a workaround for that - so Iā€™m tagging @Kinetic for when he gets back :sunny:

Wendi - Iā€™m afraid the lessons on YouTube were put up there by someone who didnā€™t bother to ask us for permission to use our material. Iā€™ve asked the person concerned to get in touch so that we can see if there is a way for us to let those materials stay on YouTube.

A lot of our learners think this to begin with - but Iā€™m guessing that you can have conversations in English without needing to write anything down? And thatā€™s the stage youā€™d like to reach with your Welsh? If so, youā€™ll probably find that going through the initial pain of adapting to the different approach will help you reach conversational competence faster than relying on a more familiar approach :sunny:

@Wendi ask @aran. I was probably the most stubborn person here on SSiW regarding this but Iā€™m softening all the way through in my ā€œdemandsā€ towards written thingys. Why not learn (if you really insist but I (now) actually wouldnā€™t) with going a bit around? Written guides which are provided for every course separately (well on Levels they arenā€™t complete yet) on this site if you click Learn button and choose Course you want to study, are the great way to learn a bit of writing too and see how words are written.

Iā€™ve got this way around and Iā€™m satisfied with that. SSi team has a good reason they donā€™t teach to write and I see that when I see a written text and want to read it. The way I say things reading the text is many times wrong or at least awkward way and thatā€™s quite many times I donā€™t even know what Iā€™m reading and donā€™t recognize words at all which I would recognize if Iā€™d hear them sopken.

Writing is important but NOW at the time I went so much material through and no matter how I moan about many things Iā€™m doing wrong I can freely say itā€™s the thing you can learn for yourself with a little bit of effort as much as you need it at all.

So, try to be careful in listening instead of thinking even when you try to speak how one word is written because hearing (really hearing) things is important when talking/communicating with fluent Welsh/Cymraeg speakers ā€œin the wildā€ not writing.

Well, I hope I made some sense here.

And thank you @aran, @Iestyn and all the SSi crew and fellow learners here on this forum who (unconsciously) finally convinced me and made me realize (really realize despite I knew this deep in my mind already) all these facts.

Diolch yn fawr iawn i bawb!

1 Like

Ahh, didnā€™t realise that these people werenā€™t your good selvesā€¦BUT for me, the combination of both of you is perfect. Please keep it on line and do moreā€¦Iā€™m amazed how much Welsh has stuck to my brain. Iā€™m not talking about writing, far from it! Or even learning loads of grammar. I learn by seeing pictures/patterns, and hearing what it is referring to ,always have done, any difficult tongue twisting words can be instantly worked on( I hope you understand what Iā€™m saying) Eventually speech gets faster than the brain can produce the picture and and then you just talk hey presto youā€™re fluent ( Iā€™ve started doing it already in small amounts. Itā€™s brilliant). I have learnt more Welsh in a month than all my years of trying to learn French. You must keep to you rules tho ā€¦ Say it before your speakers and donā€™t crib off raw material sheets. Pause button is great. Slow to think the Welsh at first but I get quicker.
Please do more this way, I canā€™t blindly look into space, need to look at a person talking and/ or short text and build up
Hereā€™s hoping

I would actually like to build the lessons out in a visual format like this - with people saying the responses, so youā€™ve got something to look at, but you still have to focus extremely closely on what youā€™re hearing, and you donā€™t have the risk (which is a very problematic risk for a lot of people) of being distracted by unfamiliar spelling/letter-sounds.

But Iā€™m afraid thatā€™s going to be a very expensive thing for us to get done, so itā€™s not likely in the near future.

Weā€™ll see what kind of response we get from my request for them to talk to usā€¦ but I would strongly recommend that in the meantime, you set yourself the challenge of working through 5 audio-only sessions to see if they work for you - because Iā€™m fairly sure that the success youā€™re experiencing so far comes from the way in which the sessions work, rather than the visual element - and that if you can manage to get used to not having the visual element, youā€™ll discover that it works wonders for you :sunny:

Thank you for your prompt replies. I will certainly be doing that, Iā€™m not going to just give up . Iā€™m going to take a class at our local adult learning centre in September too & have got S4s on the TV at the moment too listen to. I can see your point of view, but which ever way you do it you canā€™t control which rules a learner will obey, and you could be cutting out a big group of people who would otherwise want to learn & I canā€™t be pigeon holed into learning just one way, verbal only, it wonā€™t stick to my brain. We all learn differently and I donā€™t find visuals a distraction to listening. I can still use the verbal only lesson after I have done the lesson with the visual, makes sense in my brain. The combination of your good selves and the other people is brilliant
Thank you for your consideration and time and all your efforts on this programme

1 Like

No, we canā€™t, youā€™re absolutely right - but we do have a certain moral imperative to make sure that our learners know what we think will help them most. Youā€™re right that thereā€™s a danger of losing people who donā€™t want to learn that way - but we need to balance that against the danger of offering ā€˜whatever you wantā€™ to every learner, and as a result NOT helping uncertain learners choose what we believe will help them most.

Iā€™ve met a lot of people who believe that about themselves, but I havenā€™t actually met anyone whoā€™s really tested it very carefully - Iā€™d be very interested in hearing what experiences youā€™ve had that have left you convinced about this :sunny:

Itā€™s never forbidden to work your way though besides ā€œobeyingā€ SSi rules so if I didnā€™t feel like being cut out even if I one time at one point said I feel a bit excluded because of something (what I canā€™t even remember anymore) then nobody should.

I know now more then any time before that everything is in our heads and if we want to go with the flow weā€™ll do that and still do the rest what works for us in adition. Many of learners here donā€™t stick with SSi only but do many other things to learn but the process still works for them so thereā€™s no such thing as to be cut out if only you want to take it this way.

Cut out would be deaf people as this corse basis only on audio learning but as Iwork with them I know that they need way different aproach to lear language since they canā€™t even talk properly due to lack of audio abilities.

Or cut out would be us, who donā€™t see well (I count among them) if the course would be only visual basis but here would apay the same thing as mentioned above. ā€¦

But I even did those ā€œvisualā€ courses felt a bit excluded (as I donā€™t recognize pictures very well) but still caried on, however I didnā€™t continue any of them for other reasons and not that of being excluded or cut out and RATHER CAME HERE happy to be directed to this site by one felow learner ā€¦

Pob lwc i ddysgu @Wendi.

1 Like

Just person type I think. And Iā€™m 50, have been living in Wales for 10yrs and still surrounded by English speakers lol. Iā€™m very arty/crafty/ knitting/crochet ( which I taught myself from the Internet), colours patterns that sort of thing. Listening is a great skill and I donā€™t think Iā€™ve done so much as I have since starting Welsh. Iā€™m very capable of learning, tho not always possible to succeed on your own. Iā€™m sure with all the work that has been done so far on the programme that you are careful not to exclude types of learners if you can help it, as one type of learner is no more important than another. Of course you have to tell learners what you think is best. One method doesnā€™t always work for every one. Having said that tho what you are doing is very good, just not quite right for me, I thinkā€¦but I will try and bash this square peg into a round hole and see what happensā€¦

I always used to agree with this, but Iā€™m less certain about it now. Of course, if someone dislikes something so much they donā€™t want to do it at all, then it obviously doesnā€™t work for them - but thatā€™s not quite the same thing as ā€˜couldnā€™tā€™ work for them.

If we want to become conversational speakers of a language, we all have to go through the stage of understanding the spoken language - itā€™s unavoidable. The question is, do you embed it into your learning from the very beginning, or do you wait until you think youā€™re ready to have conversations? In my experience, the whole process is much faster if you place heavy emphasis on listening from the very beginning - so if youā€™ve got the determination to test yourself on this, I think youā€™ll find some real value by the time you get through 5 or more audio-only lessons (and you may well surprise yourself about your ability, too!) :sunny:

Hi Tatjana
I donā€™t feel cut out, Iā€™m quite chilled. Of course you can do/go where ever is helpful to aid success. Always good if you find the tailor ready made course.
However if my opinion has helped with any future ideas, then Iā€™m glad.
Hi Aran
Will try the lessons as suggested for a while and seeā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ll really look forward to hearing how it goes for you :sunny:

1 Like

Iā€™m all curious too. No, Iā€™m eager to hear from you how it goes.

Well, I actually didnā€™t mean that you feel cut out, Iā€™ve jsut replied to your mention of groups of learners possibly being cut out with only audio aproach and thatā€™s basically it. I just always tend to write a bit more then is possibly neccessary. :laughing: A habit I just canā€™t get rid off.

Oh, let me comfort you ā€¦ Iā€™m 48 and Iā€™m living in PURE NON WELSH/ENGLISH environment with no learners around being the only person in my country who learns Cymraeg at all (which I believe is not only my situation on here) but one day I will probably manage to pull out the best from what Iā€™m learning, who knows. :slight_smile: In my early stages of learning I actually said at one point that this doesnā€™t work for me butā€¦ gee ā€¦ how I was wrong. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries. Iā€™m going to try it out. Will get back to you in a whileā€¦

2 Likes

@Wendi @Aran

Thatā€™s a rather interesting point. Usually when we talk in this forum about people being (or believing themselves to be) visual learners, we think about them seeing the text of words, first by reading and then in their mindā€™s eye.

However, Wendi has reminded me of the other aspect of ā€œvisual learningā€ (or visual hearing) which is the semi-lip-reading that we probably all do to some extent in person to person conversations, and some of us find we have to do to an increasing extent as anno domini (or rock concerts or disease, and probably a number of other factors) takes its toll on our hearing capability over the years.

Sometimes we are just not able to get sufficient information from the aural input to work out how a particular word should be formed, and a visual clue would sometimes help. No, I donā€™t mean text, but a moving picture of a native/experienced speaker forming the words would help.

I doubt if it would ever be practicable for whole lessons, still less whole course, to be presented like this, but maybe there could be some short video available for words with pronunciations that learners typically find difficult (or hard to distinguish, like the confusion people often have beetween Welsh ā€œddā€ and English ā€œvā€ sound).

Iā€™d suggest the video would concentrate just on the mouth area so there is just enough visual information presented with minimal distraction.

It would not be a panacea, but it might help some people.

Itā€™s been on my to-do list for a while :sunny:

1 Like