Welsh in Wessex

Hi Peter

It would be good to get a small group together. If anyone else shows any interest, we can start nailing down the where and when. Failing that, I’m happy to meet up one to one somewhere that’s convenient for both of us.

I’m putting a note in this week’s newsletter, so hopefully that will find a few more for you :slight_smile:

Many thanks, diolch yn fawr.

1 Like

Hi Vicky,
I’m between Romsey and Salisbury and kind of at intermediate level, but haven’t had much practice for the past year. Would love to meet up to see how it goes.
Cofion gorau
Val

So, no one in east Hampshire :wink:? Looks like Peter could be in luck - so far Winchester is looking pretty central, and it’s easy to get to for most people. Unless we get a sudden influx of people from Havant or Portsmouth, I’d say that Winchester would be a good place for a meetup. It’s a nice city and I think there’s something poetic about meeting up to speak Welsh in the ancient Anglo-Saxon capital.

1 Like

Hi :wave:
I am in Andover and happy to travel to meet up with a group in a dafarn ne cafe for Welsh chat and learning together. I am chatting falteringly, but I am determined to stick at it and speak as much as possible! My husband has just started, so potentially there are two of us!

1 Like

Gwych!
It looks like we could have about 5-6 people interested in meeting up. If we could get everyone together, that would be amazing, although I know that getting more than two people in the same place at the same time can be like herding cats (I wonder if there’s a Welsh version of that saying?)
Winchester seems to be a good central point to meet - perhaps @Peter_J can suggest somewhere? I can be reasonably flexible in terms of availability, although weekdays and evenings are usually easier.
If we can agree a venue and narrow down some dates, we’ll be well our way to organising our first meet up and using our Welsh in person.

1 Like

Anthony

Many apologies for this very late response to your kind reply, and also the other messages. I remain very interested in meeting up to practise my small amount of learner’s Welsh. There is a cafe/restaurant here in Winchester called the Open House Deli where there’s space to sit round a table. It’s used by other groups too as they’re relaxed there about people staying and chatting over a coffee. Would Wednesday mid-morning be convenient? I know some people may be working so Saturday morning could be an alternative. Again, so sorry to miss your replies till now.

1 Like

Not sure how many of you may be on Facebook, but this discussion is happening there too. If you join forces, you could get quite a crowd together!

1 Like

I’m not on Facebook myself but I have a feeling that @Peter_J knows the person organising this. Hopefully, we can sort something out between us.

1 Like

So, a couple of us are meeting up at 10am on Monday, September 9th at the Open House Deli in Winchester. It will be a relaxed, informal chat over a cup of coffee (or whatever takes your fancy) and a chance to practice as much or as little Welsh as you’re comfortable with.

Anyone who wants to come along is welcome, whether you’re a brand new learner or a fluent Welsh speaker.

Since we’ve had interest from people in different locations, the plan is to rotate venues for subsequent meetings.

Address and directions for the Open House Deli:

Open House Deli, 4a Middle Brook St, Winchester SO23 8AQ

https://maps.app.goo.gl/PF3svpXhPqauvG14A

Hi,
I’m so glad you’re getting the meet ups going, sorry I haven’t been in touch, been on my jollies to the glorious Bannau Brycheiniog no phone signal or internet but waking up to pen Y fan and all the beautiful falls has been so refreshing…
Needless to say I’m behind on my homework and still need to get using what I’ve learnt.
I’m afraid can’t make this meet but hope it all goes well and you have a lot of fun.
Pob lwc

1 Like

No problem. Sounds wonderful. I was in that part of the world myself a few weeks ago, although it already feels like forever ago.
Our next meetup is 10am on Monday September 16th at the Old Forge Tea Room in Hambledon.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/nySaP2fzdNDYREsWA

Sorry I missed this - are the meet ups always on a Monday? I’m in Alresford near Winchester but am not able to do Mondays

1 Like

No, it just worked out that way for the first couple. We can meet on a different day, depending when everyone can make it.

I’ve created a new thread specifically for posting details of meetups:

Hi.
I’d be interested in this if this gets some steam.

I’m only on challenge 16 level 1 so very very new to this, so maybe beyond my skill set & live in Farnham Surrey which is relatively close to Winchester .

We’re meeting at 10am on Monday 23rd September in Josie’s Cafe, Bishop’s Waltham. It’s a pretty small group at the moment but this will be our third meeting. The more people who get involved, the more steam it will have.
Learners of all levels are welcome, so you won’t be out of your depth. The earlier you start having conversations in Welsh, the quicker you’ll learn. I’ve just started level 2 and, now that I’ve finally started having regular conversations in Welsh, I realise there was no reason not to do it much sooner. I hope you can join us.

2 Likes

Helo, helo!

Dw i’n byw yn Shaftesbury (the very heart of Wessex, surely?) and I might try to get along to the meeting on Monday. Mind you it’s the best part of an hour and a half from here so… a future meeting in Salisbury would be good.

Shaftesbury aka Caer Paladwr could host a meeting sometime…

That is a decent drive away but I hope you can make it. I’m sure we could travel to your neck of the woods for a future meeting.