Tresaith Bootcamps 2015

i’m happy with the suggestion Dee, the sooner i have a date the sooner i can confirm and send cheque. (really hope i’m free for chosen date but don’t want to influence peoples choices).

Cheers J.P.

I would love to come in June please. from June

I just ‘took the plunge’ and clicked on the luxury northern bootcamp link only to find all the places taken. I would love to go on any one.

Sorry that you missed it, Stephen - for what it’s worth, because there are more of them, the Tresaith bootcamps are easier to get a place on. :sunny:

I would like to try doing the July Bootcamp in Tresaith. I so enjoyed the Luxury Bootcamp with Aran and Catrin last spring. This time, I hope to be able to go to the Eisteddfod the following week, before the return home.

2 Likes

Just wondering when we will be able to sign up for Tresaith 2015. Should we be looking out for the registration date yet? Hope not to miss out!

Hi, I have only just started learning Welsh in the last month or so and was really looking forward to the possibility of a boot camp next year. It looks like none of the boot camps in 2015 hit a stockport primary teachers school holidays though, the July one comes closest but misses by a couple of days and looking at the responses will presumably be booked out straight away. Are there any plans to have more boot camps in school holidays in the future? Or as an alternative, how do the online bootcamps work?
Thanks susanne

Hi Susanne,

The online bootcamps are a bit of a misnomer - so we’re probably going to be changing their name! - but a good way to give yourself a bit of a kick to push on faster with the sessions you’re working on at the moment.

In terms of school holidays - I rather suspect that Iestyn is avoiding them deliberately, since having his four at home at the same time as a Bootcamp would probably be unworkable, I’m afraid.

Thanks for that! I wonder if you have any alternative suggestion for me to actively speak any Welsh, I don’t think I have ever actually met a Welsh speaker personally and being german and living in manchester, there don’t seem to be many opportunities to practice?.. Is there anybody else offering immerse yourself in Welsh experiences? Thanks susanne

Shw mae, Susanne?

I hope this will help. There is a monthly SSiW meet-up in Manchester, where you can meet other SSiWers who have learnt or are learning in the same way as you are (this mmakes things a lot less scary, and a lot more fun than “meeting random Welsh speakers”)

Here is the link to the discussion currently on the forum: Manchester Welsh Chat/Meetup August

The next meeting is this Saturday.

Diolch yn fawr, iestyn, I have been in touch with Jean who organises the meetup and am planning to go on Saturday! Still hope to make a proper bootcamp one way or another at some point… Susanne

The July bootcamp is in the school holidays - the final week of July, running into the Eisteddfod week (first complete week in August) is the second week of the school holidays in Wales (in Welsh calendar terms, the week between “the Show” and “the Eisteddfod”).

Enjoy the Manchester meet-up: I hope it gives your Welsh a boost to the next level - that of a language that you genuinely use to communicate with!

Dee, just read your thread. I would be prepared to share a rented accommodation with others if the bootcamp in July looks like being overbooked. By the time July Bootcamp numbers are sorted it could be a bit late in the day to book rented accommodation as Tresaith looks pretty busy then. On the other hand if numbers are low for the bootcamp then we returnees would feel ok about not blocking new bootcampers and help swell the numbers. Maybe we all ought to buy the Centre at Tresaith and hold Bootcamps continuously… Pencadlys SSIW !

1 Like

Yes, that’s the problem with the busier summer months Maynard - the rest of the accommodation could get booked out or become rather more expensive. It might only be the April and September bootcamps that could possibly have the ‘returnees’ bootcamp happening in parallel.

I’m very interested in the April one. However, I’m sympathetic to the idea that priority should really go to first-timers (although I have “only” done one so far :slight_smile: ), so happy with the idea of joining in renting a cottage nearby, if that idea flies.

I’m quite interested in doing another bootcamp too, and it looks like I could get the time off my work for the April one so it looks like I’d see some familiar faces. So do we have enough to fill a flat yet? Who’s counting?
Polly

The flats nextdoor to the Canolfan sleep varying numbers of people, so it would really be up to those returnees that would like to stay there to see how the sleeping arrangements would work for a particular bootcamp period and agree. The link to have a look is here http://www.tresaith.net/ciliesaes.html. That shows you one of the flats, then there are links to the others. If you go to the online booking part you can see which dates are still available and the cost for 7 days or shorter stays. I’m happy to act as the coordinating person, but I wouldn’t be staying there as I live quite close to Tresaith anyway.

By my count there are 3 of you that might be interested in doing this for the April bootcamp, though we won’t know until bookings open whether the bootcamp is booked out or not. If there are plenty of spare places it wouldn’t be needed, but perhaps those willing to do this could defer to a first-time bootcamper on the waiting list if they do fill up. It’s just an expression of interest for now, but the flats are often still available when bookings for bootcamp open.

1 Like

Well it looks affordable. Sleeping arrangements might raise an eyebrow, but I’m a keen hosteller and have slept in quite a few mixed rooms in the independent hostels so hey ho.

The other option would be camping. The site at the top of the hill to the south (Llety http://www.lletycaravanpark.co.uk/ ) is run by a welsh speaker (we stayed there last year - he was happy to do everything through Welsh with me) and has a large field but restricted numbers of pitches, so I’m sure if people got in early enough with a booking, an ‘encampment’ could be set up amongst adjoining pitches to both maximise sociability and lessen impact on other visitors.

2 Likes

I definitely want to make a boot camp next year! I’m thinking perhaps April would be best for me, before OH starts her new project in June. Will keep eyes peeled for booking info. :slight_smile:

2 Likes