Tresaith Bootcamp - Sept 2014

Not only that, but the week is actually a holiday. There are no lessons, just fun activities using what you already know.

Thanks for the info @Huw. I didn’t realize contactless cards might be an option, but definitely good to know.

We are all packed and ready to go. Packing for the weather was a bit of a challenge (it seems like there is going to be a 20 degree Fahrenheit variation at times of the week), but we’ll see how it goes.

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

Croeso @Joanie

To be more specific, contactless cards are widely used in big cities but elsewhere they tend to be restricted to fast food or coffee chains and the transaction limit is something like £20.

You’ll rarely hear Fahrenheit used now even by wrinklies like me. You won’t be far out if you think of 1 Centigrade/Celsius/Kelvin division being equal to 2 Fahrenheit. If you want an exact conversion, you can either Google something like “98.4F in C” or use the formula C = 5(F-32)/9. At -40 the temperature is the same in both Fahrenheit and Celsius but we hope not to experience that! :slight_smile:

Unless things have changed a lot since I was last in Wales (summer 2012!), you can almost always use a US credit card in places that accept a UK credit card by telling the cashier that it’s a US card, doesn’t have a PIN, but can be run ‘the old way.’. US cards usually won’t work in ticket machines, so I go straight to the counter at bus and train stations.

I doubt very much that things have changed since your last visit, Diane so your advice is probably more current as well as being more relevant - what with you being American and all :slight_smile:

In April, I found that the garage on the main road, not too far from Tresaith, would offer “cash back” if you were buying stuff over a certain amount. (There is a reasonably-sized convenience store/mini-supermarket attached, and some of us bought our food there when on cooking duty). The minimum spend might have been £10, but I could not swear to that.

Most UK actual supermarkets will offer “cash back” (up to £50) these days when you buy something with a debit card, if you happen to find yourself near one.

My experience has been the same as Diane’s throughout Europe, with a few occasions where they couldn’t or wouldn’t do it the old way.

In terms of using credit/debit at all, we’ve had some trouble with that. At home I’m used to never carrying cash - most chain convenience stores/supermarkets/restaurants in our area will accept credit for small amounts. We’ve learned through travel that it’s a US habit to do so, and that trying to charge small monetary values is frowned upon.

Thanks for the info about the convenience store/cash back, @Mike. Will look into the fees for that vs. cash point withdrawal from my bank.

Hi all I’m starting to think about packing. If any of you coming some distance need extra pillows or bedding, or anything else I can help,with, let me know. I’ll be heading down from Gogledd Cymru bore Dydd Sadwrn.
I’ll bring my swimming costume, hoping it will stay warm. A friend of mine has suggested one of Wales’s best chippies nearby, and two others have independently stated that spending time in Tresaith will be a truly special experience. Dw’in edrych ymlaen i cafarfod chi, Renee

@Renee: I’ve got everything crossed for nice weather too, although I don’t think I’ll be swimming. Bit of paddling, perhaps. :wink:

Disgwyl 'mlaen at gwrdd â ti hefyd! :slight_smile:

I’m with you there Jon, paddling only for me!