Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Only that I think adain is more common for a ‘flight’ wing. GPC lists both as this type of wing, whereas GyA lists both but says asgell is less correct and more occasional (though used, nonetheless). Asgell is more commonly used for other types of ‘wing’ (buildings, military, sports).

Bore da @siaronjames, a diolch. That’s the conclusion I was tentatively reaching.

Ages ago I was looking for ways to say “showing off” (dangos fy hun) but also came across the phrase lledu fy hesgyll “spread my wings” - which resulted in my associating “wing”, in all senses, with asgell. I also met asgell in the military/sporting sense while trying to learn some rugby terminology, where I learned asgellwyr and blaenasgellwyr (“wingers” and “flankers”).

It was only my sudden interest in bees and butterflies that brought adain to light!

Diolch yn fawr, eto.

3 Likes

Superlative Adjectives (tallest, best, fastest, etc.)

Hello,

Q. 1. If I wanted to say ‘I am the tallest’, would the adjective mutate depending on whether the speaker is male or female?

E.g. A woman says: ‘I am the tallest’
Is this ‘Fi ydy’r dala’ or ‘Fi ydy’r tala’?

In Uned 17 of the Sylfaen course, it covers the third person singular situation (Hi/Fo), where the adjective does mutate depending on whether a woman or a man is being referred to. E.g. ‘He is the tallest’ (Fo ydy’r tala) and ‘She is the tallest’ (Hi ydy’r dala). But the unit doesn’t cover the first or second person singular, or plurals.

Q.2. If I wanted to say ‘You (sing) are the tallest’, again would the adjective mutate depending on whether the ‘you’ being referred to is male or female?

E.g. Person X says to a woman: ‘You are the tallest’
Is this ‘Ti ydy’r dala’ or ‘Ti ydy’r tala’?

Tagging @garethrking as this is grammar-related!

Yes - about a woman, Hi ydy’r dala; to a woman, Ti ydy’r dala :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks @garethrking, did you mean to put ‘Fi’ instead of ‘Hi’ in the above post? If not, may I ask what would the ‘Fi’ form be – is it ‘Fi ydy’r dala’ or ‘Fi ydy’r tala’ if I as a woman am saying it about myself (that I am the tallest).

Soz, Sara - yes, it’s going to be dala for a woman whatever. I would say of myself Fi ydy’r tala, while you would say of yourself Fi ydy’r dala. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

My brother in New Brunswick, Canada, sent me information he had found on old hotels with Welsh names: “In the 1880’s Campobello [Island] sported three of the most elegant hotels on the Atlantic coast. TYN-Y-MAES HOTEL…(that’s Welsh for house in the field)…the Owen and the Tyn-Y-Coed.” Is ‘Tyn-y-’ a written corruption of ‘Tŷ-yn-y.’? (The adjective ‘tyn’ - strained, tight - appears irrelevant!)

1 Like

Well, kind of… it’s more like the written form over time has come to reflect how the name is pronounced in normal (fast) everyday speech.

1 Like

Is there a quick way to get to the blue ‘Reply’ button at the end of a category page in order to ask a question? To post this, I finally thought to go into my ‘mail’ and click my earlier ‘Tyn-y-’ question, which (thankfully!) got me nest to the Reply box for asking questions. However, when I asked that first question, and when I try to post elsewhere, I need to spend minutes scrolling from 2014 or 2015. I typed in ‘how to post’ and that took me to General Questions August 2015 and the page is so long – a dweud a gwir – I gave up.

@susan-w-lewin On a lap top, on my lap top, there’s a light blue line to the right of the text, with a light blue box, cursor thing that you can click on to move up and down. On my phone I can do the same sort of thing by clicking on a blue box at the bottom of the screen which tells me what number out of how many I’m at. I hope that makes sense.

I get a 4-directional arrow thing rather than a ‘blue box’, but moving that faint blue line rather than the customary sidebar scroller works just as you said. Diolch yn fawr, Margaret!

Croeso.

Susan,

There’s a quicker way than moving the blue line cursor block. If you look under the blue line, you should see a date for the last post - E.g. ‘2d ago’. If you click on that, it will take you to the last post.

Or it least it does on Safari on the Mac and iPad.

HTH. (And what’s the Welsh for Hope This Helps anyway? Gobeithio Mae Hwn Yn Helpu? GMHYH? :grinning:)

Diolch, David! That is a quick way, and works with Firefox too. I had not come across HTH before, a rŵan dw i’n ei gwybod yn y Gymraeg > GMHI (Gobeithio Mae Hwn Iawn?)

1 Like

Croeso!

glôyn byw is definitely the posh boi name to bring out to impress at parties. I know Welsh speakers from southern Wales who have never heard it and others who dont use it. (but it is technically and academically your boy)

Would someone shed light on the use of “i’w”? e.g. in Automagic: gormod i’w fwyta; gest ti rywbeth i’w yfed (where it doesn’t seem to correspond to “i ei/eu” - '“or/to her, him, it, they”, as noted in my dictionary). Is it just colloquial usage?

Surprisingly, it is actually short for i + ei, and it has confused me in the past.

The short answer is that Welsh doesn’t really say “something to eat”, it actually says “something, for eating it.”

See this thread for a recent discussion:

1 Like

Diolch, Richard. I realise “i’w” is something I may never understand, but hope I will eventually remember to include in the correct places!