Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Diolch yn fawr @siaronjames

That makes perfect sense now. I couldn’t see past glo as maybe a soft mutation of clo, and brig comes up in Gweiadur as “peak, top, crest, outcrop, twig” so at best I was getting “lock work outcrop” :joy: Can’t really explain why I didn’t discover that glo was coal :roll_eyes: Onwards… :honeybee:

PS hwrii-bwms! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Even with an ecological masters and pdfs in welsh/english/latin …theres so many differences in some species names I cant cope…but it is fascinating :smiley:
We could tell you the name of wasp/bumble bee if we know what region/area you reside.

Im pretty sure ‘Cacynen brith’ is still used for wasp in north ceredigion today yet piffgwn in the southern border…picwn/pigwn Im sure is pembrokeshire/ SW Wales…but I wouldnt bet on my rusty knowledge XD
Could swear that gwenyn meirch was northern used

Cachgi bwm is a hilarious one to stick with bumble bee…even if its more south west in origin

Some of the names blur in places

1 Like

Quick Q / Cwestiwn sydyn

What is the difference in the Welsh words for boats? Or English for that matter!

Cwch = boat? / Llong = ship? Bad = boat?
But why only bad achub = rescue boat and not cwch achub? Just because or reasons?

I like that Welsh has a unique one = corwg(l) … spelling changed to coracle in English over time

Gad i ni fynd
Dere i ni fynd

So from what I take from this…these are ok to use as a command form/persuasion but not for a more relaxed suggestive tone? (awn ni).
Makes sense. Only ever used ‘gad i ni’ as a command with family/kids anyway (fortunately!)

Helo @brynle a diolch. I live in a little-known corner of Greater Cymru known as “Dorset” … so please don’t fret about giving me the most appropriate local Welsh word. I’m just happy to stick with the basics for now!

1 Like

Excellent question! And I don’t know of a definitive reason, but I know cwch and bad are both used for smaller vessels (boats) whilst llong is for larger vessels (ships) - and to be honest, I don’t know at what criteria a boat becomes a ship in English either!
Sometimes cwch and bad are interchangeable - you can hear both cwch rhwyfo and bad rhwyfo for ‘rowing boat’, but other times I think it’s one or the other just by traditional usage - I may be wrong, but I think bad in particular referred to uncovered vessels, so original rescue boats would have been open row boats and so were called badau achub, and even though modern rescue boats have evolved to be more like cychod, the original name stuck.

2 Likes

I sometimes have that experience after an evening in the Llew Du…

2 Likes

If you could get the Devonians next door to annex you, it could then be referred to as Dwyrain Dyfnaint, couldn’t it? Once Greater Cymru had been restored of course.

2 Likes

Syniad da, @garethrking! Er roedd Shaftesbury - lle dwi’n byw - yn arfer nabod fel Caer Paladwr, medden nhw… (please feel free to correct my Cymraeg as required!)

2 Likes

I think we would have to rejig this one:
Er mai Caer Paladwr oedd yr enw ar Shaftesbury gynt, medden nhw :slight_smile:

I think we would have to rejig this one:
Er mai Caer Paladwr oedd yr enw ar Shaftesbury gynt, medden nhw :slight_smile:

Aha. Diolch. I had a nasty feeling I was a little astray. Could that mai be a taw? I shall have to find out about gynt

Yes it could, in equatorial regions.

You can just learn the adverb gynt as a one-off, meaning formerly. :slight_smile:

Yes it could, in equatorial regions.

Equatorial regions :joy: Yep, that’ll be me. Rock solid hwntw…

So, on the subject of species names…

I was trying to work out how to say “clouded yellow butterfly”. Off the cuff the best I could do was pilipala felyn cwmylog. I know that cwmylog means cloudy, but I don’t know how one might say clouded?

Secondly… the exercise opened my eyes to the glorious range of words for butterfly. Iâr fach yr haf is wonderful; so is glôyn byw. Which one would be most commonly used in the south?

It’s best not to try and translate species names literally. ‘clouded yellow’ in terms of a butterfly is llwydfelyn (literally ‘grey-yellow’)
So -
Clouded Yellow = Colias croceus = llwydfelyn
Berger’s Clouded Yellow = Colias alfacariensis = llwydfelyn Berger
Moorland Clouded Yellow = Colias palaeno = llwydfelyn y rhos
Pale Clouded Yellow = Colias hyale = llwydfelyn gwelw

You might find this site handy for naming nature (it’s the one I use) Llên Natur: Gwefan Natur i Bobl Cymru - Y Bywiadur

As for Southern usage, I think you’ll hear just as many of each and it’ll vary more to immediate locality or personal preference rather than a clear cut ‘mostly S’ or ‘mostly N’.

2 Likes

According to GPC, glöyn byw - which I think of in terms of the old fashioned English word as “living glede”, because “living live coal” sounds a bit silly - is probably altered from earlier glöyn Duw (“God’s glede”) to avoid taking the Lord’s name in vain.

2 Likes

Bore da! Yes, I kind of knew that… but however wrong it might be, the question has opened up new areas of knowledge :slightly_smiling_face:

So… thank you for llwydfelyn. Curiously enough I saw that word on my bee wall chart (cacynen cynfffon lwydfelyn, or Bombus Terrestris) and managed to extract “grey-yellow” but didn’t follow it up. Now it’s come back to me in the form of a butterfly. Thanks for the link to Y Bywiadur :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hello @RichardBuck … I looked up glöyn in the Gweiadur and it offered me “ember”. I think the simile is lovely - likening butterflies to flying, living sparks, perhaps :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yup - same thing, a live coal. I think I just like glede because it (a) sounds like Tolkien; and (b) is actually distantly related to glo :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Can I ask another? For “wing” (of a bird, dragon or aeroplane) is there any difference between asgell and adain?