Submitting the petition, update!

I have written to the Welsh Affairs Select Committee to thank the members, as I believe Monday’s evidence made a difference and I do not think the DCMS (Dept.pf Culture, Media and Sport) Committee with 1 Welsh member not much interested in yr hen iaith did anything!!

2 Likes

It is very hard for me to understand why someone in the UK wouldn’t be interested in preserving an ancient unique language that is so important for understanding ancient and medieval literature. But I understand that I’m probably too naive.

Well the Brits are just a bit funny about languages. I cant explain it but there it is.

Well, I live in a very peculiar social environment where languages are either a source of income or a hobby for most people I talk to. The real world is, I suppose, very different in its priorities!

They don’t usually listen, but then there are the Welsh elections coming up, so some token gestures tend to be forthcoming!

Ian Lucas certainly seems to have a tenuous understanding of Wales and the Welsh (he was the man who suggested [de]spoiling the Welsh flag by sticking it on the Union flag, thinking this would be popular amongst the Welsh) but a couple of months ago he said in the House of Commons “But S4C is the only Welsh language channel. It is a national treasure for the United Kingdom. If the Government really have a commitment to the Welsh language, they need to stop cutting the income of the only Welsh language TV channel that we have. Will the Minister please reconsider?”
and joined in protesting in 2011 against the BBC taking over S4C saying “S4C is an essential part of life in Wales, it must be preserved and developed.”

Quite possibly isolated acts and jumping on bandwagons, but such behaviour ought to be encouraged! Positive reenforcement and all that :wink:

3 Likes

S4C - I am from outside Wales (Borneo) but do not trust any personal data online. I don’t have an email address. The one I had when signing up for SSIW was a one off once use email. I would sign a petition without email address if there is a postal address to write to? Also I am wondering how I might (when the time comes) pay SSIW for the New Course 2 as I do not and never have trusted online banking.
Diolch yn fawr

I can see your letter there Jackie, which is really well written especially the point about paying the voluntary subscription, but can we see the comments made on the petition and the final number anywhere?

To the Secretary of State and both Select Committee Secretaries, I sent the wording of the petition and the following link:

This is the public signature list and I haven’t closed the petition so it can still grow. The Inquiry is set for 2017. I am happy to let iit run until then and submit it to them!! I believe our friends in USA have one or more Eisteddfodau and various St. David’s Day (Gwyl Dewi) events, so might get some attendees to sign??? Maybe the same in Australia??? Japan, if the rugby connection remains after Shane!!!?? :wink:

I sympathise. I will not Bank on line, although I do use one credit card which I use nowhere else!! I would love you to sign, just to get your Country listed, because it is about the rarest we have!! However, since, I think, you are actually Cymro, it isn’t as impressive in a way as having @tatjana and @stella!!! So don’t worry too much!!

I apologise to him!! I hope he keeps it up in his Select Committee. It wouldn’t hurt for some of his Wrecsam constituents to thank him for his contributions to saving S4C and to ask him to continue in like vein!!!

2 Likes

Excellent! That’s great. So they can look there and see all the comments too as it grows. It will be interesting to see if there’s a spike after the various events … ah, I’ve just had a thought. I’m not going to the National Eisteddfod this year (family wedding at the same time) but there is always a stand for Welsh speakers from overseas, plus one for Patagonia. We could do with getting some leaflets about the petition with the link on to be handed out at those stands.

1 Like

Brilliant!! I am not going to surprise you when I say I shall not be at the Eisteddfod, as getting to my nearest small town is a mammoth effort, so could you and @aran get something printed? You need mention of the other petition as well, if it is still running, to hand out to learners who do live in Wales!. Also the link you quote needs to be the one for people to sign!!

Yes, I was thinking that we needed a leaflet that gives both links though we’ll need to check that the other is still open nearer the time.

I’ll put it on my list of things to do by the beginning of summer :slight_smile:

Diolch yn fawr am pob i ni! (Is that OK Cymraeg?) I suspect I need to ‘decline’ am and change pob to phob!!!) (That’s why I need to listen to some more challenges!!) Will do that very soon! Promise @aran!!!

1 Like

With the inquiry not closing until 2017 there is actually plenty of time for you to send a written comment. Which would be the best postal address Jackie? Do you know?

YDraigGoch represents thousands of Welsh people living in unusual places around the world that could enjoy access to S4C. There’s a huge audience out there!

I am not sure I’d say I know, but if I was @YDraigGoch I’d address it to:
The Secretary of State,
Department for Culture, Media and Sport,
100 Parliament Street, London, SW1A 2BQ
England
UK
And I would head it:
Contribution to the Petition from non-residents of Wales asking for funding of S4C to be maintained.
Put your signature. For address, we don’t need street but locality and especially Country!! Add any comments, like why S4C is, or, is you can’t get it, would be, very important to you!!! Diolch!!!

Diolch yn fawr for the address. I will certainly add my name to the petition.

2 Likes

Dioch yn fawr iawn i ti!!! :smiley:

! phawb!
There was a sudden flurry of signatures in the last 2 days, even one from the Cayman Islands, which I can’t see on the map!! Diolch to anyone on the Forum who signed or advertised to those who signed!!
My worry is that, after the Elections in May (for Members of the Sennedd, AMs), the Tory Government in Westminster (San Steffan) will do what Maggie Thatcher tried to do and back track on promises! Have a review, yes, but with the intention of taking all Government funding from S4C!! Y Sennedd cannot afford to pay, as their grant is spoken for and doesn’t even cover essentials!

1 Like

I wonder if any of that was due to Matthew Rhys’s followers retweeting! I saw on Twitter that my original message to him was retweeted, chwarae teg iddo fe!

1 Like

Oh, @dee, I meant to thank you for all the publicity in and out of the newsletter!! A new person signed from Rome yfory!! It may well be Matthew’s fans. Tweet him how grateful we are for his support!!, sorry, I meant, “Please tweet him, if you think it a good idea, to tell him…etc.etc…”!!! :blush:

2 Likes