SSiNews - our very own propaganda channel!

Postojna cave “Postojnska jama” for sure. Its acustic is magnificent and the environment is like that in kind of fairy-tale, as if you’d be on the visit to dwarfs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Although “bach” does indeed mean small it is also used widely as a term of endearment. Another example is “Cariad” which means “love” or “darling” but people of my generation still it use it as a term of non-intrusive affection as in “Sut wyt ti cariad?” which I would use for a long time woman friend or close woman colleague or, of course my children or grandson. ** In my mind there would never be any sexist intent. I can’t guarantee that it’s still politically OK, though

Normally my daughters keep me right on such matters but they have always lived in England and don’t unfortunately speak Welsh.

** I have special terms for my wife :heartbeat: which I can’t publish here :wink:

1 Like

Hehe … let it remain a secret. That’s how it should be. :slight_smile:

And thank you for all this explanation.

1 Like

I saw someone of approximately my and possibly your generation a while back on “Rownd a Rownd” using “cariad” to a female probably less than half his age. He got a pretty swift metaphorical sting in the ear.

So I think we have to be careful… :slight_smile:

The same in Slovenia with “draga”, what would be (as far as I understand the term) somewhat eqvivalent to “cariad”.

I don’t know why, but “fach”, “bach” and what’s more to it I like better … So thank you @henddraig :slight_smile:

My pleasure! Actually it’s just how I normally end up calling people I like! As you & I are both candidates for the ‘naughty seat’ on the Forum, I feel a great deal of empathy!! Mind, some people call everyone ‘bach’… both sexes. A very good friend had this habit, so I sometimes called him ‘fach’ in revenge!!!

2 Likes

As a matter of interest, do people near you call you “hen”?
Explanatory note: - around Glasgow, “hen” is often used to address men or women. It means neither “old” nor a chicken’s mother :smile:

Other examples: - “pet” in Sunderland, “medook” (my duck) in the East Midlands, “flower” in various places, “ychan” (derived from bachgen) around these parts.

I suspect you’re right, Mike so I am very careful. For example, I wouldn’t dream of calling even my old bootcamp friends “cariad” unless, of course, they call me “cariad” first :wink:

Now the interesting “story” about “hen” (stari/stara) meaning old. In Slovenia all young people address themselves as “stari” (both sexes) and a bit less “stara” (when girls are communicating among themselves). “stari” or “stara” is kind of depreciating word for one who’s old but youngsters these days gave it very different meaning. This is how young people (especially in middle schools) are addressing themselves even if they’re not close friends. It became a habit and nowdays sometimes you’ll hear even not so young people call others like that. It’s kind of funny to hear when two or more girls are talking among each-other and use masculine version of hen (stari) instead of feminine.

Well, this much about hen (old).

And we’re way out off topic in this thread now already … :slight_smile: (and I might be guilty for that, sorry). :slight_smile:

And, if you asked me, no they don’t call me hen (stara) :slight_smile: . Not yet. :slight_smile:

I hope I made it clear that “hen” as a form of address round Glasgow has no connection with the Welsh word “hen” meaning old.

I probably share your responsibility for going off topic :blush: but it happens so widely on the forum nowadays, that we’re not the only guilty ones. :smile:

This thread is officially about the News/“Propaganda” channel. :smile:

1 Like

To Cariad Huw and Tjana fach!!! I don’t know any Glaswegians! I live in Argyll. Nobody here calls me ‘hen’, but in Yorkshire everyone called everyone ‘love’ which, it seemed to me was exactly equivalent to ‘bach’!
On subject, is this for any news or only SSiW news?

2 Likes

This topic should be only about the News channel (category) however category iteslf should be official which I hold onyl @aran, @Iestyn and the rest of the crew should write in the category. Well, at least this is how I understand the whole thing so I don’t tend to even reply there. Otherwise, as far as I know myself, it’d be full of me. - HAHA! :laughing: And yes, I believe it’s only for SSi news for that matter.

1 Like