Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five - 20/04/2018

Bore da! I hope you’ve a beautiful sunny weekend ahead of you. :slight_smile:

1) At what age did you leave the nest and where did you go? If you haven’t yet fledged what are your plans?

2) When was the last time you totally embarrassed yourself?

3) What headline would you like to see in the news tomorrow morning?

4) Overrated? Name one place, one person, one food, which in your opinion are overrated.

5) Eight years ago today we had a successful 12 week pregnancy scan with our second born, Beuno. If you could receive positive confirmation of anything today, what would it be?

One bonus because the weather is so fine…

6) What are your plans for the weekend?

2 Likes

1) At what age did you leave the nest and where did you go? If you haven’t yet fledged what are your plans?
21 to UEA, Norwich as a hippy to do a MSc in Biophysics. Not only did I leave the nest but I left my new wife behind for a year - BIG mistake. :frowning:

5 minutes ago but I don’t think anyone heard. :blush:

Oooh - I must tread carefully. Either the resignation or impeachment of a current leader or the reversal of a recent vote in the UK

4) Overrated? Name one place, one person, one food, which in your opinion are overrated.
Place: Gaudi’s “Sacra Familia?” cathedral in Barcelona (his home in the same city is great though)
Person: (work it out from my answer to 3)
Food: quinoa

5) Eight years ago today we had a successful 12 week pregnancy scan with our second born, Beuno. If you could receive positive confirmation of anything today, what would it be?
Can’t think of anything comparable.

Receiving @Sionned on her way to Bootcamp :smile:

3 Likes
  1. At what age did you leave the nest and where did you go? If you haven’t yet fledged what are your plans?

18, HMS Raleigh.

1. When was the last time you totally embarrassed yourself?

Last time I opened my mouth, as I usually say what I’m thinking…! I was always being told to think before opening my mouth as a child and I’m still wondering when I’ll grow up…

1. What headline would you like to see in the news tomorrow?

“Saysomethingin any language!!”
Or,
“Hourly rate of pay standardised across the board.”

1. Overrated? Name one place, one person, one food, which in your opinion are overrated.

London, Adele, asparagus.

1. Eight years ago today we had a successful 12 week pregnancy scan with our second born, Beuno. If you could receive positive confirmation of anything today, what would it be?

Joints are arthritis-free.

1. What are your plans for the weekend?

ABBA-tribute band on Saturday, roast dinner on Sunday.

2 Likes

Quite old, and not far.

Too numerous to be specific. Almost every time I post on SSiW, for example.

Governments elected in all countries who will make life prosperous for the 99% not the 1%.
Peace declared in all war zones, and all countries will work for peace, not the profits of the weapon-makers. The 1% to work for at least 1 year on minimum wage for the homeless & poor. Universal Job Guarantee implemented including free health & social care & good pensions.
Good quality housing made genuinely affordable for all.

London
Lots but the only name I can think of for the moment is David Mitchell
Pizza & Pasta

Not me, but my wife is doing a 2 day garden design course. It will be interesting to see what ideas she gets for improving our own garden which we’ve rather neglected recently.

3 Likes

21 to start an MA in Social Anthropology at Manchester University.

Too numerous to remember, too embarrassing to mention.

That the Chinese Government had finally freed the Tibetan people.

London (as per others). Graham Norton, Jonathan Ross, Alan Carr (sorry, that’s three). Pasta and cucumber.

That I will live for at least another 30 years, in full health.

Really exciting ones - a visit to the waste tip and, er, anyone for tennis?

2 Likes

21 when I married my first wife. Nothing more to say on that subject.

I have a very loose tongue and embarrass myself all the time. I also never forget when I do and torture myself about them constantly.

I’m with Huw on this. Also, that I’ve won massive on the lottery, I would help so many people out.

Paris.
Ringo Starr.
Mushrooms.

That my kids are happy and successful throughout life.

It’s World Heritage day tomorrow so we’re heading down to an event in Trefor Basin visitor centre. Take away for tea then early bed ready for work on Sunday.

2 Likes

Nineteen, when I stupidly got married in order to escape my parents’ house. For me, it was the only way out, but it didn’t make it any less dumb.

LOL! You mean “When was the last time I didn’t embarrass myself”?

Where do I start?

Assuming that “tomorrow morning” can mean “next November”… “Democrats Gain Majority in Congress, both House and Senate.”

“Assault Weapon Ban Passed.”

“Entire Presidential Cabinet Fired; New Secretaries Confirmed Who Actually Believe in the Missions of Their Agencies.”

“All Student Loans Forgiven.”

“United States to Immediately Begin National Health Service.”

That, and the great-grand-daddy of them all, in zillion-point type: “Trump Impeached!”

There. I’ve discussed politics, even when I told myself I wouldn’t. :wink:

1. Place: Hollywood, California. I grew up in Los Angeles, and Hollywood is just another part of the city; a pretty tacky one, if you ask me.

2. Person: Jack Sparrow. What a prancing idiot. You want a real pirate captain? My money’s on Captain Barbossa.

3. Food: What Americans present as a fancy English tea. Can’t get a decent panad, and the tiny, cutesy bites of food are so small you can barely taste them. They certainly won’t begin to quiet a grumbling stomach.

That I’d be healthy until the day I passed on in my sleep out of sheer old age, and that my finances would permit me not to worry about my expenses. Don’t underrate money: you really don’t want to run out of it. Been there, done that, don’t want to do it again.

Fine weather?! It’s still wet and wintery here. The groundhog got his numbers mixed up: it’s sixteen more weeks of winter, not six.

In any case, I’m spending the weekend indoors behind my typewriter, same as I always do.

2 Likes

I can’t answer most of the questions, especially 2) - I’m truly sorry, and it won’t happen again!

So best to look forward. Today, I’m off count herons in warm spring sunshine in my favourite valley, for the annual heronry census. This afternoon I’m making a first visit to Wales’ new and only wildwood: https://www.cambrianwildwood.org, which is really near where I live! On Sunday, be warned, I shall be bursting to tell friends about it on Slack…

1 Like

Originally, I went to uni in Cardiff at the age of 19. That wasn’t really leaving the nest, more hopping to the edge of the branch. Same with when I then went to London followed by Lyon.

I’d say the proper move, the real hop off the ledge was when Emma and I bought our place together in Feb last year…so Cardiff again haha.

This wasn’t the last time, I can’t really remember the last time properly, but the time that sprang to mind was in France. I was asked “where do you come from?”, I replied “je sais pas” (i don’t know)…there were about 15 people listening.

“World Bank nations have agreed to write off 3rd world debt”

Place: Tenby. I grew up next to Cornwall and felt the similarities between the two were overplayed.
Person: Alex Cathcart
Food: Fish and Chips. I’m just not a fan

I hope we’re also getting that news in the relatively near future (not yet, we’d like the wedding first please).

Emma is riding 100 miles for charity this weekend so I’m off to support her. Then my parents are up tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

P.S. These Friday 5s are one of my favourite things of late :smile:

They’re such a positive when somethings can be so negative. Diolch o galon @CatrinLliarJones

1. At what age did you leave the nest and where did you go? If you haven’t yet fledged what are your plans?

I was quite late because I went to a university not far from home so it made sense for me to stay home. So I moved out and into my first non parental house when I was 22 after having been working for a few months.

I don’t get embarrassed very easily to be fair. Anything can happen and I wouldn’t get too flustered :slight_smile:

1. What headline would you like to see in the news tomorrow morning?

Brexit cancelled in obscure fax mistake incident EXCLUSIVE!

1. Overrated? Name one place, one person, one food, which in your opinion are overrated.

Place - Rome. I enjoyed it, but I do feel people go a bit too far with its praises.
Person - Ed Sheeran. Never got it
Food - onions. They are Horrific and they find their way EVERYWHERE!

1. Eight years ago today we had a successful 12 week pregnancy scan with our second born, Beuno. If you could receive positive confirmation of anything today, what would it be?

I had a brain tumour scare in 2015 and even though a tumour was ruled out after multiple scans they still don’t really know what’s happening (lot more headaches rhan the average person, weird growths at the back of my eyes). If they could just work that out I’d be chuffed

1. Weekend - I went down to Andys Records to celebrate “Record Store Day 2018”. I’m about to leave the house to go to a Severn Bridge protest before heading for a drink with a couple of friends in Aber. I plan to get back early but this will not happen…
3 Likes

Wait… I remember an embarrassment!

The only thing I am frightened of, well jot frightened of - but what gives me the heeby jeebys is touching my own eye!!

I’ve gone on record before to say that I would turn down £10 million if it involved having to touch my own eyeball to claim the prize.

Anyway whilst having said scans I also had to have eye drops done…by a girl in the hospital who I actually know pretty well through a weird link (her ex boyfriend used to a very good friend of mine)…

…which made for great fun as I squirmed and squealed while she tried getting a tiny tiny drop of eye syrup into my eye. Honestly it took her about 15 mins and she ended up having to drop it from such a distance that most of the medicine ended up hitting my cheek

1 Like

Sent away to boarding school aged 11 when my parents moved to Sri Lanka.

Hmmm. I mostly concentrate on embarrassing my kids these days. I find putting up videos on YouTube anf Facebook pretty embarrassing, though, especially videos of intensive learning days… :flushed:

Independent Wales offered place on UN Security Council.

Dunno. Guess I’m more interested in stuff that’s underrated.

That we could advertise to everyone in Wales on Facebook without losing money. :slight_smile:

Ballet (done) and being happy. :slight_smile: Maybe some reading. Maybe some brainstorming ad ideas. Beating the kids at cards. Losing to the kids at cards. Walking the dog. Being barefoot.

Still there just parents are no more …

Ohh … sorry though … I was out of the nest from 5 to approximately 17 as I was sent to an institution for Blind and Half Blind children being there my entire childhood for exception of app. 3 months of the year (during school holidays and for (not every) weekends, so I only after that really occupied the nest.

And if I go a bit deeper …before that, from 2nd month of my life and untill I went to that institution I wasn’t really home either due to several eye opps I’ve gone through, so I came and left and came and left …

I embarrase myself every time one enters the room at work or passes me by there or on the street and i should know them but I don’t … You will never imagine how hard and embarrassing it is living with practically no face recognition when at some circumstances you don’t know even your own son or husband or you wonder if they’re the right ones …

##There's peace allover the World and no one tends to fight wars anymore!!!!!!!

All who receive more respect and “bowing” than they deserve. We all have blood running through our veins, haven’t we?

Confimation that nothing’s wrong with my son’s thyroid and everything suspicious was just set of circumstances.

Not much planned as my husband had to go to work today. Well we actually don’t plan anything any time at all if it isn’t really neccessary. Mostly we go spontaniously and according to happenings and circumstances and all works just perfect.

But well … I plan Summer comming tomorrow as even today it was around 24 or even more °C. It’s just 6 °C less than 30 isn’t it so Summer is here! :slight_smile:

I thought I’d put on this: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/emma-gowman. Emma deserves some REAL support in noble cause she does! Good luck Emma!

4 Likes

You’re a superstar!!! Diolch o galon!!

1 Like

Diolch a croeso! :slight_smile:

Joined the RAF Rugby was a dump in the 60s.

St David’s day introducing myself in Cymraeg to 100 Merched y Wawr. Everyone welcome they said. Guess what? I was the only man!

1. What headline would you like to see in the news tomorrow morning?

Welsh Independence

Anything from Macdonalds.

1. Eight years ago today we had a successful 12 week pregnancy scan with our second born, Beuno. If you could receive positive news…?

Welsh Independence

Buy more hens, inspect our bee hives (they’ll be building up to swarm soon), choir practice(Côr Dros y Bont, Ynys Môn)

2 Likes

Was it this year? If not than why I know this part just that there was no embarrasement at all me thinks. :slight_smile:

Helo Tatjana.
Ie, blwyddyn hon oedd hi. “Dewch i noson dathlu gwyl Dewi Sant, croeso i bawb” oedd y gwahoddiad. Roedd rhaid i mi sefyll ar y llwyfan a chyflwyno fy hun i chant o Ferched y Wawr, egluro pwy ydw i, o le dw i’n dod, lle dw i’n byw a sut mae fy mywyd wedi cael ei newyd, ers i mi ddechrau dysgu Cymraeg.
Wel, wnaeth pob un ohono nhw edrych yn union fel fy mam yn nghyfraith! Dim synnu rôn i’n mor embaras.
Hwyl,
Alan

14 - not planned, and was a lesson in bolshy stubbornness. Luckily, things worked out ok, and I was able to carry on with school, and left with A levels, and headed to university ( I liked it, so I went twice ! ) and qualified as a veterinary nurse, and then as a RGN, and have worked as a nurse ever since.

2. When was the last time you totally embarrassed yourself?
    I don’t think it ever stops. Answering the door one day last week, at about 0830, in PJ’s with a glass of wine in hand, and finding the postman. I grabbed the post while desperately trying to explain that I work nights, so this was technically my evening, and I was relaxing after a shift, and that a glass of red at 0830 was fine in those circumstances, and feeling quite sure he didn’t believe me !

3. What headline would you like to see in the news tomorrow morning?
    Goodness, loads - independent Wales, Trump resigns, nuclear weapons are all going to be banned

4. Overrated? Name one place, one person, one food, which in your opinion are overrated.
    Lands End. Boris Johnson. Avocado.

5. Eight years ago today we had a successful 12 week pregnancy scan with our second born, Beuno. If you could receive positive confirmation of anything today, what would it be?
    A family member to have a blood test result that shows CML in remission.

Still waiting on 3 ewes to have lambs, so in between lamb-watch, I will be pootling around the garden, and catching up with some long overdue weeding, and hoping for some nice healthy lambs.
1 Like