Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 02/03/2018

I hope you are all safe and warm, have plenty of food and aren’t in any danger because of the awful weather here in the UK at present. :

Talking of weather…

1. Have you ever been in danger because of extreme weather conditions?

2. What are both the hottest and coldest weather conditions you have ever experienced?

3. What would be in your…
    a) Hot weather survival kit
    b) Cold weather survival kit

4. How is it where you are now, what does the next 24hrs promise for you and has the weather ruined any plans you had?

5. If you could travel anywhere to experience any natural phenomenon, what would it be?

6. We sometimes use the term ‘Force of Nature’ to describe people. Who would you use this term for and why?

and a snow day bonus…

1. If you could move to live in an alternative climate where would that be and why?

1) Have you ever been in danger because of extreme weather conditions?

Not really, but our son (then about 2) nearly got blown away by strong winds in Newquay once. That was pretty scary.

2) What are both the hottest and coldest weather conditions you have ever experienced?

Coldest, around -15C in Oslo. Hottest around 40C near CapeTown. But in Cuba and parts of Peru, although it was probably less than 40C, but it felt worse because of the humidity.
As the saying goes:
“It ain’t the 'eat it’s the 'umidity”

3) What would be in your…

Good question…

Well, the obvious, blankets, hats, gloves, thermals. Flasks of hot coffee.
And I’ve never tried it, but in one Len Deighton novel, a diver recovers from cold dives with flasks of hot red wine…gotta try this some time (minus the cold diving, of course).

3) How is it where you are now, what does the next 24hrs promise for you and has the weather ruined any plans you had?

South Oxon: Around -1C outside. Snow on the ground, but not snowing. Wind has dropped I think. Definitely “warmer” than yesterday.

We couldn’t take our grandson for a walk yesterday. (But he had fun playing with his new “walker”/brick truck.

4) If you could travel anywhere to experience any natural phenomenon, what would it be?

I’d like more opportunities to see the northern lights. Last time was clouded over.

I’d like to see the geysers in Iceland (and swim in their hot spring pools).

5) We sometimes use the term ‘Force of Nature’ to describe people. Who would you use this term for and why?

Aside from my mother and my wife…? :slight_smile:

Well, the late Barbara Castle, and of course the late Nye Bevan.

The only living people in the public domain that I can think of are I think actors, e.g. Glenda Jackson, Judi Dench.

and a snow day bonus…

6) If you could move to live in an alternative climate where would that be and why?

It wouldn’t have to be that different. Just a bit drier and a bit warmer.

Maybe somewhere like The Scillies, Isle of Wight, Channel Islands? Or even just the south coast of England. I’ve heard that around Swanage has the mildest climate in the UK. I don’t know how accurate that is.

5 Likes

I don’t think so :smiley:

2) What are both the hottest and coldest weather conditions you have ever experienced?

40 degrees in Rome and -27 degrees in Helsinki. 40 degrees was definitely worse :sweat_smile:

Loose white t-shirt, shorts and all the Sarchiapone I can find (Sarchiapone is this fizzy water thing with lemon granita and fresh lemon juice)

Nothing special… Coat, boots, hat, scarf… I really dislike wearing gloves so no gloves unless I really have to.

3) How is it where you are now, what does the next 24hrs promise for you and has the weather ruined any plans you had?

Not so cold anymore actually! It was only -12 when I went out this morning.

In the next 24hrs I will be writing my essay on dragon curves, researching my essay about The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, writing reflective statements about some Italian books I had to read and reading The Handmaid’s Tale.

So no, the weather is fine and I wasn’t going to go out anyway :smile:

4) If you could travel anywhere to experience any natural phenomenon, what would it be?

Lapland to finally see the northern lights we just missed last time… (There was a huge solar storm the night after we left and we missed “the best northern lights in years” because it was cloudy in Helsinki :D)

5) We sometimes use the term ‘Force of Nature’ to describe people. Who would you use this term for and why?

A classmate I was tutoring in math. She failed the first two math courses we had (despite studying the entire time), so she started doing so much extra work she managed to get a good grade in the third term.

and a snow day bonus…

6) If you could move to live in an alternative climate where would that be and why?

Lapland! I’ll settle for Wales’ climate though :smile:

5 Likes

I came very close to slipping into the stream when I was trying to get Richard Drws Nesaf’s bin out of it this morning. I think that counts.

And I nearly died of the cold in a tent on the high veldt in Zimbabwe once, but I might have been exaggerating.

Hottest - mmm - probably Arabian peninsular desert - or Malaysian jungle - very different kinds of heat.

Coldest - seriously, I was very cold in that tent in Zimbabwe. But, um, probably today, actually. Or standing on the streets of St Andrew’s on a normal spring day.

One bottomless glass of mojitos, one bottomless glass of water, and an umbrella.

A ticket back to a sensible climate. And a bottomless mug of hot chocolate.

It’s threatening my trip to Cardiff at the moment, and it’s making the Growth Club recording for today look a little endangered. Otherwise, I think the biggest risk is cabin fever.

Northern lights, please. Or Uluru.

My daughter. Hope she stays that way. :slight_smile:

It would be either the Algarve or Tuscany as you know perfectly well already and as you keep refusing to let me do :stuck_out_tongue:

Or Bay of Islands. Maybe I need to start campaigning for Bay of Islands, so that I can fall back on the Algarve as a compromise…

5 Likes
    I’ve often experienced whiteout conditions in the winter in the Cairngorms where the biggest danger was stepping on to a snow covered cornice protruding over a cliff.

2. What are both the hottest and coldest weather conditions you have ever experienced?
    Working in Singapore (just about on the equator) in a suit (de riguer) and tie! The 200 m walk from my air-conditioned hotel to the air-conditioned meeting was torture

a) Hot weather survival kit Lots of water or easy access to water
    b) Cold weather survival kit. I couldn’t bring myself to wear tights (pantyhose) when winter-walking in Scotland (as many did) but I did wear my pyjamas under my trousers :blush: Plenty of warm layers; waterproof and windproof outer garments; seamen’s woollen socks; good boots; high energy food; whistle (no mobile phones in those days); and often a tent. NO alcohol.

Mae hi’n oer uffernol (if that’s not a contradiction in terms). ASDA cancelled their delivery - chware teg. :smile:

1. If you could travel anywhere to experience any natural phenomenon, what would it be? I saw Aurora Borealis every few years in Aberdeen (there’s even a song - “The Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen mean Home Sweet Home to Me”), but i’d like to go North of the Arctic circle to see them in full colour

@aran he’s certainly a force but whether he’s natural or not, sai’n siwr :wink:

and a snow day bonus…

The Languedoc or Sardegna. It’s hot and the food’s great.

4 Likes

Bay of Biscay comes to mind, but it was only Force 9, so hardly too scary. Even so, having wangled our way onto 04 Seacat deck under under the pretence of having to do some “Essential” daily maintenance to the smoke density meter situated in the funnels and only accessible from that particular part of HMS Intrepid even though the upper deck (anywhere outside the ship basically) was out of bounds without speaking to to OOW (Officer Of the Watch), we were stil being sprayed by the wind-driven sea every time she corkscrewed into a wave and buried her bow in it. It doesn’t sound much but that particular deck was the same height as a regular 8-storey building…

1. What are both the hottest and coldest weather conditions you have ever experienced?

-15C in Trōmsō and Trōndheim and whatever it was in Barbados. The body-surfing was amazing! A truck-load of us gave blood at the local hospital - they offered to pay us as they would normally pay any donor, but we gave the money to a local charity. Again, I went to both places while serving on HMS Intrepid. The hottest conditions I ever encountered were on top of the boiler while we were parked up in Barbados. I managed to get as far as the Steam Drum, but balked at getting close to the valve that controlled the steam clean system… I was an electrical mechanic and it was only for experience. Steam was being superheated (600C) only feet from my head and I was finding it difficult to breathe…

1. What would be in your…

While in New Zealand 5years ago, I loved the “Slip Slap Slop” approach. It’s a theme in Oz as well. Here’s the ad from NZ:-

For cold weather, a woolly jumper is essential.

1. How is it where you are now, what does the next 24hrs promise for you and has the weather ruined any plans you had?

It’s warmed up to minus 1C today, pavements are sheets of ice, roads are well salted. It’s my wife’s birthday tomorrow, so I’m organising a family meal.

1. If you could travel anywhere to experience any natural phenomenon, what would it be?

Aurora Borealis for me too. And to return to Huka falls, North Island, Rotorua, New Zealand. Astonishing.

1. We sometimes use the term ‘Force of Nature’ to describe people. Who would you use this term for and why?

The (unfortunately) late Glyn Williams. Farmer and my first employer. Never, ever ill, not tall or particularly stocky but as strong as an ox, seemingly never needed sleep during the lambing season. He grew up in Bala and used to come courting down to Tywyn on his bike I managed to find out. His wife was an absolutely lovely lady and his three boys were all good lads as well.

and a snow day bonus…

1. If you could move to live in an alternative climate where would that be and why?

“I reject your reality and substitute my own.”
I’m happy where I live in the UK.

3 Likes

Never done one of these before! Here goes…[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:11282”]

[/quote]

Got a bit warm in Egypt once. It hasn’t happened since - I even wear two snoods on the beach.

Hottest - Kom Ombo, coldest - Stockholm, although those places know what to do about it. On the other hand, me just a minute ago, mucking out with one glove with a hole in it - coldest me EVER.

a) Flask of tea
b) Flask of tea

Currently blizzarding in a silly fashion in North Oxon. School cancelled (skips with glee), and everyone still in their pyjamas thrashing the hoozle out of the xbox. Pony in the garden looks miffed so feeding her more often to cheer her up. Otherwise we are staying put and staying warm![quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:11282”]
[/quote]

Any other time of the year I’d say the Northern Lights. Currently leaning towards the Maldives and some bioluminescent waves. Don’t even mind if I miss the waves…

My landlady - completely indomitable. Describes broken limbs as ‘boring’, and narrows her eyes at inconvenience. Also hilarious, and an absolute rock.

Here I’m going to struggle. Can I just take some weather, say, from Texas, and plonk it somewhere near Cardigan, and move in?

5 Likes

Trying to drive to work in Cardiff in December 2010. Everything was fine until I got to the final roundabout and there was a jack-knifed lorry blocking the entrance to the office. I had to do a x-point turn on a snow-covered slope and the car slid about 10 foot at one point…

1. What are both the hottest and coldest weather conditions you have ever experienced?

Hottest is 42 degrees celsius in Barcelona. The coldest was the wind-chilled -15 celsius two nights ago…

1. What would be in your…

Plenty of water, sunglasses, sunscreen, insect repellant and a hat…

Thermal vest, hat, buff and gloves and a windproof coat.

1. How is it where you are now, what does the next 24hrs promise for you and has the weather ruined any plans you had?

We currently have 6-8 inches of snow, with drifts of 1-2 food in places. We should still be able to take our puppy, Ianto, to his puppy training class and go to the cinema to see Three Billboards in Ebbing Missouri tomorrow evening.

1. If you could travel anywhere to experience any natural phenomenon, what would it be?

I would love to travel to northern Norway and see the northern lights.

1. We sometimes use the term ‘Force of Nature’ to describe people. Who would you use this term for and why?

I would nominate @Deborah-SSi. Things happen when she’s around! :slight_smile:

New Zealand. I’m not fussy over which area or island, but somewhere by a beach would be nice… the lure of “proper” summer and autumn weather is enough. If money was no object, a few months on Tetiaroa in Tahiti would be amazing (snorkeling in the lagoon…yes, I saw the BBC hotel documentary! :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

A genius move. Done it many times myself (in a I’m-not-really-out-of-bed-honest kind of way). :grin:

1 Like

That made me laugh! I’ve never thought of myself as a ‘force of nature’!! :joy:

3 Likes

I don’t think so.

Hottest, Thailand in August last summer. 35 C. There was a reason I was walking on the island at 5.30 am to be back in my fan conditioned room by 9.00am Mind you I remember the long hot summer of '76.

Coldest. Winter of '84/85? I was living in rural Herefordshire and had to walk three miles to work. I didn’t drive at the time and roads weren’t safe for a bike. There was an icicle from the eaves, down two floors to the ground.

a) Hat, water, shade
b) Hat, gloves, scarf, jacket

Hardly any snow here in Sir Gar but biting winds. Spinners meeting cancelled for tomorrow morning. Karl Jenkins Memoria Cantata in Aberystwyth cancelled for tomorrow night. That’s OK as I need to keep an eye on the three chickens who I’ve moved indoors because of the weather. Refused to come out of their house this morning but presented me with the first egg of the season.[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:11282”]
[/quote]

I remember seeing a photo of a crescent moon on it’s back, above the sun, taken at, I think, the South Pole. That would be quite amazing to see.

My best friend Carolann. She died nearly 5 years ago. She said what she thought, politely. She learned belly dancing and did some in Egypt and was given money for it. She had very high standards and most people, including me, didn’t live up to them, so she was quite often disappointed.

@aran, it’s snowing in Tuscany at present! And what were you doing in St Andrews? I lived there when we were first married, he was a student there. But I agree it can be chilly, it being right on the North Sea. I don’t think I want to move, it’s hard work to start all over again making friendships. But if I can get it a bit warmer here I’d be up for it.

3 Likes

I went cycling on a stormy day and, while descending the horseshoe pass, nearly got blown under a truck. (I actually leant against it for about 40 yards or so.)

The hottest was on holiday in Dom. Rep. when it reached about 38°c and the coldest was in Minneapolis (17-20th Jan. 2001) when it sinked to -27°c.

Factor 50 spray, a hat, endless fruit sorbet and water and I’m happy.

Layers, a hat and a bottomless bowl of cawl. :slight_smile:

My wife has just gone to work so I’m on guard duty keeping an eye on the roads so she can come home before it gets too bad again. Everywhere is white and it’s snowing at the moment. We’ve accepted that we ain’t going anywhere tomorrow apart from sledging on our hill and making a snowman.

Like most people already, the northern lights are on my short list.

I have nothing for this one, sorry, it’s not a term I use.

If we could have slightly less extremes here I’d be happy to never leave again, even for holisays.

4 Likes

I’m not sure exactly, but somewhere in Europe I suspect - somewhere that has slightly warmer and more reliable summers, but also gets a reasonable lot of snow over the winter so people prepare themselves for it each year and take it in their stride.

6 Likes

OK, what’s an essay on dragon curves?

A dragon curve is a space-filling fractal that looks a bit like a dragon. It’s basically what you would get if you were to fold a strip of paper infinitely many times, then unfold it and make every crease on it a right angle :slight_smile:

(top left is one fold, top right two folds, bottom left three folds and bottom right four)

This is what you get when you reach infinity:

It also has a lot of cool mathematics behind it, which is what I’m going to be investigating :smile:

(I thought I might as well try to find a way to make my “Mathematical exploration” essay be connected to Wales)

7 Likes
  1.  No actual danger I think although I was once on a plane going from Buryatia to Moscow where I got diverted to Kazan due to extreme winds on the dodgiest plane I have been on in my life. That was pretty scary.

2.  Hottest – 46 degrees Granada last Summer; Coldest – 37 degrees, Irkutsk (Siberia); Driest – Atacama Desert, Chile; Wettest – A Rotherham Summer ;-)

3.  Hot weather Survival Kit – Sunscreen factor 1000000+ (I have sensitive skin); A parasol – no tans for goths!; Water Spray in a can to keep fresh; Towels soaked in water to hang over the door

Cold weather Survival Kit – Jumper, my cosy Icelandic wool hat (v. warm), Heinz Tomato Soup; In general though, get me inside pretty quick as I turn into a raging irrational monster when too cold!
4) Right now Germany is fairly chilly (around -7) but actually really sunny so it’s quite pleasant as long as I am not outside in the cold :slight_smile: that wouldn’t ruin any plans, seen as my weekend plans are normally Welsh and trying to prevent the brood from murdering each other!
5) The Iguazu Falls on the border between Brazil and Argentina is something I have wanted to see but have not yet seen, so probably that :slight_smile:
6) My youngest child’s temper tantrums right now could move mountains (Do you want socks on? – Neeeeeeeein! Do you want your socks off? Neeeeeeeeein?), so probably him :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
7) My ideal climate would be temperate 24/7/365. I am not fond of extremes of temperature. So probably, Northern Spain – Basque country. It never gets as hot as the South and doesn’t get too cold in Winter.

5 Likes

Not that I can recall.

Hottest – probably Brazil. I’ve not experienced it above about 35 degrees but the humidity is insane. In a nice way, though.

Coldest – the last ever All Tomorrow’s Parties music festival, set in the unparalleled luxury of Pontins at Prestatyn, a couple of years back. It was April and obviously warmer than it is now but it was unseasonably cold, I wasn’t dressed for the weather and that wind…. We had to queue for about 2 hours to get our room key and bedding and it was bitingly cold. The chalet was freezing and, even though the festival itself was indoors, I never seemed to get warm all weekend. By the end, my lips were so chapped they were bleeding.

Worth it, though, to see The Fall, Datblygu, Nightingales, The Ex, Raincoats, Shopping, etc

Water, cold beer, cigarettes.

Coffee, room-temperature beer, cigarettes.

I love snow and it’s the best snow we’ve had in Sheffield for years so I’m not complaining! It hasn’t hit us as hard as some parts of the country, so hasn’t really affected my plans.

I’m trying to think of an answer that isn’t the Northern Lights. A full lunar or solar eclipse would be cool. I’d love to visit the North Pole too. Or the South Pole, for that matter – I’m not fussy.

Penguins at the South Pole – that’s my answer.

Like Gruntius, not a term I would ever use to describe someone.

I actually quite like the British climate. I like the unpredictability. You need the cold to kill off all the bugs you get in tropical climes. Sunny weather’s great but I’d find it boring every day – I think you appreciate it more when it’s infrequent. Ditto snow.

I often fantasise about living in Iceland – which is basically British weather but more extreme.

I suppose if I wanted to be guaranteed perfect seasonal weather I’d go to Greenland or Norway for a few months of the year for the snow, and Brazil or Portugal for a few months for the sun. But that sounds like a lot of hassle.

5 Likes

My brother was a student there - I unwisely agreed to visit him…:wink:

My brother, now living in China, cycled from Liverpool to St Andrews in three days. Liverpool Scarborough (university group, race?), Scarborough Hexham, Hexham St Andrews. He went home on the train.

Hi Catrin & All. I’m not usually any good at these things, but I reckon I can give this one a go:
Talking of weather…

Strangely, yes: I had minor frostbite to my face once in The Lake District (believe it or not). Also a very high wind in Croatia, which was impossible to stand up in.

I’ve never been anywhere really hot, only really hot days in the UK. Coldest - perhaps due to wind-chill on mountains as mentioned above, or actual temperatures: perhaps 1981/2 when we had around -13 degrees.

Plenty of liquids and perhaps salt(?) and relevant clothing.
    Similar to a) but probably food also.

4. How is it where you are now, what does the next 24hrs promise for you and has the weather ruined any plans you had?
    Relatively mild here near Swansea, although for some reason the few houses where I live have their own micro climate…I wouldn’t say ruined, but as with us all in the N Hemisphere at the moment, plans are being altered by the weather.

5. If you could travel anywhere to experience any natural phenomenon, what would it be?
    Possibly somewhere to see the Northern Lights and perhaps hot springs.

6. We sometimes use the term ‘Force of Nature’ to describe people. Who would you use this term for and why?
    Possibly one of the influential world leaders or an “unsung” everyday hero.

and a snow day bonus…

Possibly somewhere like Switzerland or even just further North for nice clear sunny winter skies. But I’m happy to be hear for the green-ness that the rain brings.
4 Likes