Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 02/03/2018

Not really despite I always fear when there’s a lot of snow that I might fall under the bus when exiting and be driven over because I very much doubt the driver would be aware of someone falling under the bus.

• the hotest around 39 °C in my own beloved little country Slovenia so I don’t even need to go anywhere to experience hot weather.
  • The lowest -27 in 1985/86 in most of the winter and approximately 60 or 70 cm of snow through which I’ve walked going to work. It was frustration and fun, both at the same time.

To be honest I never had a thought about something like this. In cold weather I have more or less everything dressed on as it’s never too warm for me and in the hot weather all I need is something to drink.

About 15 cm just fallen fresh snow on the approximately 15 to 20 cm of that already laying there. It’s not the coldest weather just right for the snow to fall and keep laying there. Plenty of snow on the mountain of course and qutie cold at the seaside where they had some snow for the first time in a long years. Around my house plenty of old and freshly fallen snow and our driveway is under 10 cm of fresh snow at the moment. The work of cleaning it away awaits us for the morning. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I ever wanted or want even now experience any weather phenomenon. I’ve seen one a week ago when it was sun shining like mad and snow was falling at the same time.

Sorry, I don’t think I understand the meaning of this so can’t give you an answer. Excuse me if I appear stupid here but I just can’t pretend I understand something I don’t.

Nowhere. The weather of my little paradise on Earth contains everything I need no matter how I complain upon the cold in the winter and am cheering the hot in the Summer.

When’s that Summer comming already? I hardly wait for it!

4 Likes

Southern Germany perhaps? (e.g. Bavaria).

Slovenia is the right place for you @Deborah-SSi. Summer is more or less stable and in the winter you have snow and despite all we live normally going to work, kids to school etc … Yes, people like me are more or less prepared for the winter but still in the traffic there is a bit of chaos every time it snows but you come to your destination eventually after an hour or two. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

1) Have you ever been in danger because of extreme weather conditions?

Yes. I got heat/sunstroke in 117 F (47.22 C) heat and had to be taken to the hospital.

2) What are both the hottest and coldest weather conditions you have ever experienced?

Hottest: 117 F (47.22 C) in California. Humid, too, and the heat index was more than 137 F (58.33 C).

Coldest: -31 F (-35 C) in Ohio. Brrrr!

3) What would be in your…

a) Hot weather survival kit:

A whole lot of water, a couple of limes for flavor, salty munchies, a white cotton sheet to wet down and wrap myself up in, and something to cover my head with. Oh, and a bathtub full of ice cubes and a good Vornado fan.

b) Cold weather survival kit:

About sixteen pairs of wooly socks (my feet turn blue in the cold), sweatpants under my long skirt, a balaclava, a three-sizes-too-big hooded sheepskin coat, and a Harry Potter school robe from Alivans. That last is a terrific windbreaker; and, layered over a sheepskin coat, no cold is getting in. I have tested this out myself in a New England winter.

3) How is it where you are now, what does the next 24 hours promise for you, and has the weather ruined any plans you had?

We’re just coming out of a Nor’easter, and there is expected to be substantial flooding tomorrow. Won’t affect me, though, unless it knocks out the power.

4) If you could travel anywhere to experience any natural phenomenon, what would it be?

I wouldn’t mind spending a week or two in a science installation in Antarctica. They make extreme cold and insane wind look almost fun.

5) We sometimes use the term ‘Force of Nature’ to describe people. Who would you use this term for and why?

Not a term I’ve ever used.

and a snow day bonus:

6) If you could move to live in an alternative climate, where would that be and why?

Somewhere really rainy. Portland, Oregon, maybe, or Seattle. I’d love to live on a houseboat in Seattle, where there’s water both holding my home up and pouring out of the sky.

:grin: Myfanwy :grin:

3 Likes

Sounds like it’d be the perfect climate for me too!

1 Like

Not extreme weather conditions. We once went on a PGL activity week to the South of France and the day we went long ship sailing it rained so much I was convinced I was going to get hypothermia. That wasn’t nice and I may have been exaggerating too.

2) What are both the hottest and coldest weather conditions you have ever experienced?

I don’t really know. 38 degrees in Lyon was pretty hot.

I’ve not been anywhere properly cold. My 4 mile walk to work yesterday was -5 apparently but I was taking layers off by the end. I’m also not sure I ever believe British temperatures.

a) Hot weather survival kit

I hate being too hot. So Some kind of mobile shade, plenty of water, loose fitting clothes, factor 50 and a guaranteed shower at the end of it.

b) Cold weather survival kit

My coat, my rugby world cup bobble hat, multiple layers, I don’t really like gloves either but mittens if it was really cold. Lots of hot food.

4) How is it where you are now, what does the next 24hrs promise for you and has the weather ruined any plans you had?

Now it’s starting to rain (diolch byth), so the snow is leaving. I love snow in mountains, I’m not a fan of it in cities. We’ve had 21cm of snow apparently (again, like temperatures, I don’t really know what that means). I was meant to be going to the gym to complete our next Open workout. That’s been pushed back to Monday.

5) If you could travel anywhere to experience any natural phenomenon, what would it be?

Northern Lights. I would love to go to the back country mountains in North America or to the North Pole and experience proper, proper snow. I’ve been snowboarding loads of times but the resorts always feel so groomed.

6) We sometimes use the term ‘Force of Nature’ to describe people. Who would you use this term for and why?

I work with a few people who have some much power but use it to moan, unfortunately. However, there is one particular person who regularly gets referred to as a bull in a china shop. Sometimes you can feel a bit windswept when he’s stressed.

and a snow day bonus…

7) If you could move to live in an alternative climate where would that be and why?

I would love 4 seasons. As I said, I love snow but only when you’re in a country that can handle it. Same as summers, they’re fantastic but not if you’re working in an NHS building that is not designed for hot weather.

So I’d move somewhere with 4 seasons. Canada maybe?

4 Likes

Just read this…maybe I’ll look for a home in Bled instead then :thinking:

4 Likes

There are so many people that want to see the Northern Lights (me too!). Perhaps we should organise an SSiW trip - yn y Gymraeg - of course. :relaxed:

7 Likes

This has one unwanted downside though. There’s only one person living near enough who’s speaking (more or less awkward) Welsh and who unfortunately isn’t at home much due to comuting 4 hours in total every day so there’d not be much chance to use your Cymraeg unless you’d be persistent enough people around you start to learn Cymraeg aswell. You’d sure be asked to learn Slovene in return. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That sounds like a fantastic field trip! Next year, though, I’ve already run out of annual leave for this coming year…

Well, it doesn’t sound that much different from Sheffield in terms of opportunities to practice Cymraeg. And more than happy to learn some Slovene in return!

Gwych!

The slovene for I want is “želim” :slight_smile:

I wish there would be a way to give you some. I still have 10 days from previous year which I’ll really struggle to spend until June this year and then after that I have 35 days of new one … :slight_smile:

Not really - unless you count things like walking out across our breakwater to get a better view of the storm, and realising afterwards how stupid that was…

Hottest - about 35 degrees in southern Germany. I don’t cope well with heat, so tend to hide.
Coldest - about minus 20 in Moscow.

My parents’ ridiculous Georgian house that I grew up in in Wolverhampton was perfect in the summer. It fluctuated between about 10 and 15 degrees all year round! (The coal fires made very little impression on the large rooms, and they couldn’t afford to heat it properly…)

A house build for the cold. They know how to do insulation in Russia, and in Germany too. Welsh houses are so frustrating in that respect.

Well now it’s warming up again thankfully. I was gutted that Lleuwen’s concert in Cardiff was cancelled on Friday though.

The kids were playing with a Google Cardboard looking at 3D videos of volcanoes last week. That was pretty cool, but second thoughts maybe that’s better left as 3D video.

My mum. (Is this positive I wonder?)

Happy enough with Wales thanks. (Which hopefully isn’t changing too much.)

Oh yes, and I’m sure there must be an SSIW field trip to Slovenia coming on one of these years! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

[quote=“tatjana, post:33, topic:11282, full:true”]

The slovene for I want is “želim” :slight_smile:

Diolch am fy ngair cyntaf yn Slofenig!

Thanks for my first word in Slovenian! Now I just need the word for beer and I’m away… Is it something like pivo?

I wish there would be a way to give you some. I still have 10 days from previous year which I’ll really struggle to spend until June this year and then after that I have 35 days of new one … :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Oooh, I’m so jealous! I can’t really complain about my annual leave allowance but I use it up fast and usually end up having to take unpaid leave.

LOL! :grin:

I remember when I was in London back in 1971, and there was a heat wave. At least, the papers said it was a heat wave, because in zillion-point type, the headline was: THE DAY THE EARTH BURNED UP!!

It was 86 F (30 C) which, apparently, was enough to melt asphalt and buckle train tracks in an area where the infrastructure was built for cool — or at least coolish — weather.

In spite of the very real inability to cope with the temperature, I had to grin at the hyperbole, because in Southern California, that’s a normal, balmy summer day. Then again, here in New England, we get visitors from Los Angeles, San Diego, and thereabouts who bundle up in puffy down coats and ear-flap hats if it’s anything under 65 F (18.33 C)… and they still say they’re freezing. If it ever snowed in L.A. or people had to drive on ice, there would be a rash of terrible accidents and a citywide panic.

1 Like

I once got caught driving from Nefyn to Llithfaen on the north coast of Pen Llyn. I left Nefyn in early spring sunshine and just a light flutter of snow. No more than about seven minutes driving later it was coming down so thick and fast that I couldn’t see further than about three feet in front of the car. I managed to drive through Pistyll and begun the ascent up to Llithfaen along a steep narrow hill. But despite my best efforts I lost control of the car and started a dramatic slide backwards. Luckily the (by then, thick) snow broke our fall. A farmer on a quad bike saw me, helped shift my car in to a field gateway before quad biking me home to Llithfaen.

I once got a second degree sunburn in the Dominican Republic. I’d covered my pale skin in factor 50+ but somehow (probably because of the rum) missed a small patch - it was VERY painful!

Hottest - August inland in central Ghana or early November in Phuket.
Coldest - December in Boston Mass (where I ended up with a completely numb posterior) or here three days ago when it reached -6 overnight.

a) Hot weather survival kit
Factor 50+, a big floppy sunhat, shades, ice cold sparkling water, citronella candles, a way of cooking outdoors and access to @aran’s Mojito stash.

b) Cold weather survival kit
Layers and layers of clothing, something warm to cover my extremities for being outdoors, a good Cognac, lip balm, candles, a real fire and a pack of cards.

3) How is it where you are now, what does the next 24hrs promise for you and has the weather ruined any plans you had?

Snow started last Tuesday and because we live in the foothills of Eryri in a maze on narrow back lanes which remain mostly untreated by the council, we were stuck. Our hill was treacherous. We were home Tuesday and Wednesday at which time we had more snow that we’ve had up here since we moved. Thursday, with some effort and care, we managed to get the kids to school. Then Thursday eve we were hit with extreme gales and freezing rain. Friday school was shut again and we were once more stuck till Saturday. Temperatures plummeted to -6 and we lost a fence, a wooden gate and one tree, as well at battling frozen pipes. But we are all thawed out now and back to normal routine. :slight_smile:

4) If you could travel anywhere to experience any natural phenomenon, what would it be?

I’m also someone who would love to see the Northern Lights - probably combined with a trip to take the kids to see Sion Corn. But anything involving birds makes me very happy.

5) We sometimes use the term ‘Force of Nature’ to describe people. Who would you use this term for and why?

Like @aran, I would say our daughter Angharad,

and a snow day bonus…

6) If you could move to live in an alternative climate where would that be and why?

I wouldn’t. I love the unpredictability of the Welsh weather, the extremes we sometimes deal with and the challenges it brings. I’m like a chameleon, I throw myself in to every season and change with them. I Like to prepare for them and make the most of them. It keeps me on my toes and makes life more interesting.

3 Likes

a good Cognac

That’s OK if you’re all cwtshed up inside but, since alcohol is vasodilatory, it can be dangerous if you’re outside because it speeds up loss of body heat.

I was briefly in a mountain rescue team based in upper Deeside (Cairngorms - not Cheshire) and my favourite remedy for someone suffering from exposure was to climb into a sleeping bag with them. My girlfriend and I used to practise this a lot. :smiling_imp: in case of emergencies you understand.

3 Likes

Exactly! “pivo” …

You’re on good way to become Slovedne speaker. Now you only need to know that pivo Union is good to order if you’re in Ljubljana and surroundings and Laško pivo you better order somewhere in Štajersko region, that means around Maribor, Celje, Ptuj etc … Beware … don’t mix the beers and regions. :slight_smile:

So, now you know. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In case you missed it.

3 Likes