Problems receiving the Weekly Email

Yup, that’s a comparatively new development, and we’ve been paying attention to it - not sure what their current offers are, but they started off a bit on the pricey side. I suspect they’re not as mature with bulk mail as MailChimp (or indeed Aweber) - so I’d want to be sure that the shift really was a solution before committing to it…

Which I suspect means we need to drill down further with this - be sure that we’re not just seeing confirmation biases in here (although our open rates are down over time, which suggests it’s widespread enough to be significant) - and then see how sure we can be about the reasons for that, and if they’re fixable here and/or not a problem with SendGrid…

@AnthonyCusack Have you registered to receive them? If you look in the FAQ there is a link there to register.

1 Like

No turns out I hadn’t, which goes someway to explain why I haven’t got them…maybe this is why I don’t get vegetables and milk delivered too?!

5 Likes

That was concerning inbound mail to helo@derynbach.cymru. It shouldn’t - indeed, can’t, as far as I can see - affect outbound mail sent by Aweber claiming to be from derynbach.cymru.

However, anyway. Having just read quickly through this thread, my first thought was “sounds like we might want an SPF record on saysomethinginwelsh.com”, and then there’s @jamesmahoney mentioning it too. :slight_smile:

*clicky* *clicky* OK, done! Aweber’s recommended SPF record is now attached to saysomethinginwelsh.com. Let’s see if that makes a difference…

2 Likes

I wish I could get things done like that!

2 Likes

Easy! Just ask @Kinetic!
N.B. On my ipad, I get any Forum messages I haven’t yet dealt with, but I’ve never had the newsletter. I think the ipad uses gmail!! It’ll be interesting to see if the next n/l gets there!! Oh, and if you are well enough, it might be a good idea to test @Kinetic’s fix by sending out a special ‘Test newsletter’ now!!!
Edit 11/10/2016
To @Deborah-SSi I think my newsletters, which arrive here on my laptop just fine, are going to a folder called ‘bulk mail’ in my ipad which uses gmail. As it contains 57 messages, I am not eager to go through them all to find out and it may not be true as I had opened the n/l on here this am before looking on the ipad and that may move it automatically from the list.
Would you do me a huge favour and send a ‘newsletter tomorrow’ message next time before you send my n/l. Then I can try the ipad before I turn on my laptop!!
Another point, you ask people to click on Discuss on the black bar at the top of the page, if coming on the Forum for the first time. I have a green bar now and some have red. Also, it says ‘Forum’ not ‘Discuss’. I think those are old instructions yes/no?

The newsletter went to my spam folder again. I use gmail.

1 Like

Ugh. Thanks for letting us know! :star2:

The newsletter went into my spam folder again. I use gmail. This didn’t used to happen - maybe just for the past few months. Has anything changed?

1 Like

Same here - the newsletter just went into Spam a few minutes ago, and has done ever since I signed up. Fortunately I check the Spam folder every day!
Edit: it’s a Gmail address.

1 Like

And mine! And I use Gmail too.

I was wondering if it were anything to do with the fact that I use | separators in the subject now instead of commas, though I receive other newsletter-type emails like that without a problem. I thought they looked neater than commas :slight_smile:

But yesterday an email from Iestyn went into my Spam folder too, and I’ve received emails from him before without a problem, so it must be something in the spam algorithms.

Thanks for letting us know, Alison, and David - we’re trying to figure it out - in the meantime, it would be nice (although probably optimistic!) to think that Google will notice enough people dragging the newsletter out of the spam folder… :slight_smile:

I click on the green tick (“This is not spam”) every single time, and it still hasn’t cottoned on…

1 Like

You would think so, wouldn’t you? How many weeks do I have to keep clicking ‘Not Spam’ before Gmail gets the idea!

1 Like

Thanks for trying! :star2:

FWIW my SpamAssassin doesn’t junk it:

X-Spam-Status: No, score=-0.8 required=5.0 tests=BAYES_00,

Here are the categories my SpamAssassin flags it for. Some of these should be under the control of the message author instead of the delivery service.

HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS,HTML_FONT_LOW_CONTRAST,HTML_MESSAGE,
    RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE,RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H3,RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_WL,RDNS_DYNAMIC,
    RP_MATCHES_RCVD,SPF_HELO_PASS,SPF_PASS,T_DKIM_INVALID,URIBL_GREY

e.g. http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Rules/HTML_FONT_LOW_CONTRAST

2 Likes

I put this in as an edit, but likely nobody saw it so…

Now I am a novice on the ipad. I can trash by putting things in the ‘bin’ and I can…Oh, I just found ‘move to junk’…I’ll carry on trying options!! No…I cannot scan down the Bulk Mail list far enough to be sure if the older n/ls are there and this mornings wasn’t in Junk or Spam. Can anyone tell me how to empty the Bulk Mail folder?

1 Like

The newsletter always goes out at 10.20 am Welsh time on a Tuesday, so just watch for it next Tuesday.

And thanks for the heads up about the bar change. I’ve tried to keep up with forum changes, and I do check it every now and then, but Yes, that needs to be altered again.

2 Likes

Spam again, boo!

But…there is a difference in gmail.

Previously it used to say this

post@saysomethinginwelsh.com via aweber.com

Now the via aweber bit has disappeared.
It still says

Our systems couldn’t verify that this message was really sent by post@saysomethinginwelsh.com.

1 Like

What @jamesmahoney said.

1 Like