Medical Welsh

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if anyone had any good resources for learning parts of the body, illnesses…you know, the really cheerful things.

I know it’s not essentially to say everything in Welsh because a lot of first language users revert to English for this sort of thing, however, having a more formal understanding would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony

3 Likes

Hi, Anthony.
Google translate or similar should have some of the word terms, but you might like to check them, or click on the alternatives. Otherwise a search will probably sort a few terms. Here’s a link to the first thing that I found:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/welshathome/textversion/sw_e_bathroom_mirror_body.shtml

2 Likes

If you could do a roundup of the ones you’d want most (ideally with some model sentences surrounding how you’d be using them) we could rustle up a few sessions for you… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There is a Memrise list of body parts. Google Memrise, Parts of the body, Rhannau’r corff.
It doesn’t list illnesses, but is a reasonable place ro start.

2 Likes

When working in the NHS some years ago there was a good booklet available with medical terms and phrases. I don’t know.whether it is still in print but perhaps a hospital library may be able to help.

3 Likes

There is a small booklet that lusts wELSH terms for medical conditions etc. Cannot re all title but will look for my copy and let you have details. Not sure it’s in print but acquired my copy through AMAZON :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you all!! @aran I will have a go tonight and send you a list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Swansea university has made an app aimed at people studying health and social care with lots of useful bodily / healthcare vocab and pronunciation guide.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.gofalutrwyrgymraeg&hl=en_GB

7 Likes

So here’s a quite list I wrote tonight. I realise the term “medical” is a bit pretentious for this list. Also for those translating this list I promise this has nothing to do with @aran 's recent publication! I am a paediatric physiotherapist:

Cymraeg Ffisiotherapi

Cerdded dros i’r drws/wal a dere nôl
Cerdded ar hyd y llinell fel tightrope (rhaff dyn)
Rhedeg i’r drws/wal a nôl

Neidio
Hopian
Troi rownd
Eistedd lawr
Gorwedd a lawr
Troi dros
Plygu dy benglin/benelin
Sythu dy…
Plygu ymlaen/nol/i’r dde/chwith/ochr
Sgwat lawr (?)
Sefyll lan
Sefyll ar dy fysedd traed
Gwthio…
Tynnu…
Pwyntio dy draed
Plygu dy bigwrn
Penlinio
cer ar dy benliniau a dwylo…
Codi dy ben-ôl

Any similar types of phrases would be great!! Any phrases of encouragement or reassurance that you use with your kids would be helpful too.

Diolch yn fawr iawn, bawb!

2 Likes

Ooh, lots of interesting places to look
Excited by the idea of an SSIW medical session! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Would I be right in assuming that you want the imperative form for all those verbs?

3 Likes

Yes please

3 Likes

@aran I’ve had a go at making them imperative. How have I done?

Cerdda dros i’r drws/wal a dere nôl
Cerdda ar hyd y llinell fel tightrope (rhaff dyn)
Rheda i’r drws/wal a nôl

Neidia
Hopia
Tro rownd
Eistedda lawr
Gorwedda lawr
Tro drosa
Plyga dy benglin/benelin
Sytha dy…
Plyga ymlaen/nol/i’r dde/chwith/ochr
Sgwat lawr (?)
Sefyll fyny
Sefyll ar bysedd dy draed
Gwthia…
Tynna…
Sytha dy draed
Plyga dy bigwrn
Penlinia
cer ar dy benliniau a dwylo…fel ci
Coda dy ben-ôl
Cadw dy draed yna a tro ffwrdd
Tro dy 'sgwyddau

3 Likes

hi I’m a nurse and when i was working in A&E ( King’s Lynn) one Saturday, the charge nurse asked for someone to go round to the out of hours doctors clinic to record a patients ECG .It was a young guy ( from Nefyn area) who was working as a life guard on Heacham Beach. I spotted his Red Welsh Dragon tatoo on his arm and he nearly fell through the floor when i asked him in Welsh to remove his shirt and lie on the couch. Tynnwch eich crys os gwelwch yn fawr ! we chatted in Welsh for while til I took the ECG chart to the Indian female doctor who asked me what language we were speaking. She grinned when I told her it was Welsh!

6 Likes

@AnthonyCusack a list that I’m going to have to peek in my Welsh dictionaries to understand! Something I’ve been pondering for a while has been body parts as mentioned here, but also things like sore-throat (just like I’m suffering from now :frowning:) headache I hear often on Pobol y Cwm and Rownd a Rownd, but there must be so many other illnesses that we love to talk about and have a vernacular for (or is this where I have to reach for, and try to make sense of the Dictionary of Welsh Idioms!)…‘feeling rough’ ‘sick as a …’ ‘under the weather’ and the list goes on!

So… what’s my go to phrase when I’m ill?
(err or on occasions slightly, but only ever slightly hungover?)

1 Like

Well, from Geiriadur yr Academi, there are a few possibilities:

pen mawr (m), salwch (m) bore drannoeth, salwch ar ôl y ffair,S.W:Occ: pen clwc

“salwch” is just “illness”, but “drannoeth” is “the day after”, so “illness of the day after” is a subtle way of saying “hangover” or “hungover”. And “illness after the fair” is almost poetry, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

I understand the individual words, but I’m not sure what I would be supposed to do, supposing a health (or other!) professional asked me to do this!

3 Likes

Wouldn’t one use the chi forms in a nursing context? Presumably, the patient is a stranger, not a good friend.

Or am I confused about how much the Welsh use ti vs. chi?

2 Likes

Anthony works with children. I expect usually one at a time.

3 Likes

OIC :slight_smile:

Lie on your back and bend your knees (feet flat on the floor) lift your bottom up - et voila, an abdominal bridge :slight_smile:

1 Like