Medical Welsh

My girlfriend uses “tost” for pretty much everything. “Gwddf tost” - sore throat.
“Cefn tost”, “pen tost”

Then pain - poen (noun)
Ache - brifo (verb)

5 Likes

Not sure if I could do that when I was well, let alone “under the physio”! :slight_smile:

@mikeellwood I had to do that when I was in physical therapy last year after my cwmpo lawr y staer (fall down the stairs). Oedd e’n brifo! (It hurt!) :anguished:

I’m not really sure if I’m happy to know how to say it in Welsh now or not :wink:

Ok new phase of medical Welsh (different job) are these right?

Swollen - wedi chwyddo
inflammation - llid
blister - plistryn
infection - haint
take someone’s temperature - mesur gwres rhywun
test for water infection - prawf dwr
Have you had your bowels open? - gawsoch chi’ch gweithio?

extension - estyniad
flexion - plygiad
(the last two - as in how straight something is or how much someone can bend something - like a knee)
strength - cryfder

3 Likes

I guess someone will be along to confirm, but in the meantime, and as a bump…

I’ve never noticed the word ‘plistryn’. (Which doesn’t mean anything of course!) On the other hand, I think I’ve heard ‘pothell’ (and ‘blister’!)

Maybe you could just ‘cymryd tymheredd’, as well, if they don’t necessarily have a ‘gwres’?

2 Likes

At this level of detail, you really need to be confirming with Welsh-speaking professionals in the field - because you’re running into all sorts of issues about usage as well as possible translations - and you’ll get geographic and contextual variations as well - Catrin, for example, would say ‘swigen’ for blister and count on context to make it clear…

You’re good for swollen, inflammation, infection, strength - and extension/flexion would be reasonably obvious - but the others are into ‘what’s common usage?’ territory… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I heard anther one for blister too, which sounded like crachen but it was an old blister which had covered over so he may have just been talking about the crachen (scab)

1 Like

Swansea University also published a booklet, Caring through Welsh, that is hosted on Scribd. You can find it from the link here:
http://www.swansea.ac.uk/humanandhealthsciences/undergraduate/caringthroughwelsh/#accept

5 Likes

nice links, I just fished out a booklet ‘Lyfr poced i fyfyrwyr’ by university of South Wales, which was something I picked up at an eisteddfod some while ago.Its got general nursing, mental health nursing , midwifery etc sections to it. So maybe if you just wanted a booklet it might be worth giving them a ring.

https://pure.southwales.ac.uk/cy/publications/pocket-book-for-students(b51130d0-9866-4de2-97dc-b258c74079c6)/export.html

You never know where your welsh will take you. I have nursed Welsh speaking patients on occasion here in Cambridge. I was asked by one lady how come I was able to pronounce her name correctly. Think she was pleasantly surprised when I told her why… in Welsh. I remember one time when my colleague ( a welsh speaking Nurse) had to go to recovery as an elderly lady had come round in recovery speaking only Welsh!

3 Likes