Intense weekend

Fantastic! Just fantastic! Llongyfarchiadau @Novem. :star2:

2 Likes

My goodness! well done @Novem :slight_smile: - all those sheep and red dragons have had a profound effect :wink: !

3 Likes

For unwinding purposes, Iā€™d recommend some gentle walks, somewhere pleasant, if there is anywhere handy, and if weather permits. Donā€™t take headphones, MP3 player/phone (not for lessons, anyway!), wrth gwrs.

The imaginary conversations are a good thing, I think.

1 Like

I survived school!

Iā€™m happy to do it again in a lab if you make 35 (or 36, I like even numbers more) lessons :smiley:

Oh, I was listening to Radio Cymru as I read thatā€¦ So, I shouldnā€™t listen to that or Welsh music for a couple of days? Or do you just mean lessons? I donā€™t have any left anyway.

I noticed I did challenges a lot faster on the second day. I stopped taking the 5-minute breaks at some point because I didnā€™t know what to do during them. On the morning of the second day, the first few only felt a few minutes long compared to the ones I did the evening before. I went through at least 10 before I started feeling like time was passing at a normal rate. :smiley: As for the last two of each day, I kept checking the time every five minutes feeling like the challenge should have ended already. They were always the most difficult ones. Actually, I think the most difficult part of the whole thing was starting the last challenge. Took a lot of time to overcome the temptation to just do it tomorrow.

Wellā€¦ I thought the challenges actually felt really easy. I had already done the older courses, so I expected them to be easy, but I think I read somewhere that they were supposed to get more difficult. I think (ignoring challenges 24 and 25 for a moment) I got maybe about 80% completely right, usually on time but not always (I often talked over Catrin or started saying the sentence before you were done saying it in English). Iā€™d guess that ā€œalmost rightā€ would be pretty close to 90%. I had trouble remembering some new words the first few times (at least faint, hugeiniau and heibio) and I never managed to say some sentences in time (Ai eich plant chi ydi rheina?, Oes gynnoch chi blant eich hunain? and I wonā€™t look up the last ones because I need to answer that question about whether or not I can remember the new stuff from the last challenge). For challenges 24 and 25 it probably dropped to about 60% for both almost right and completely right. Iā€™m not sure about any of this, though. Iā€™d love to listen to myself do this to see how it actually went. Probably should have recorded myself.

I only started noticing how tired I was when I took a break for lunch. Or actually whenever I took any break. I guess thatā€™s partly why I stopped having them. Three friends started messaging me in the middle of challenge 25 asking me to help them with our math homework because they couldnā€™t figure it out and were panicking, so I took a break and it was pretty difficult to continue after it. I managed to force myself to press play :stuck_out_tongue:

It felt really long. I donā€™t know how to write any of the words, I didnā€™t look at the vocab lists.

Iā€™ll write more later, right now I have to do my homework. Iā€™ll try to think of the words when Iā€™m done with it. Itā€™s getting a bit late here and I havenā€™t started yetā€¦ :blush:

3 Likes

Does gen i ddim syniad sut wnest ti hynna! Ond llongyfarchiadau!

I have.no idea how you did that! But congratulations!

2 Likes

Okay, Iā€™m back. So, about the last challengeā€¦

I can currently think of only a couple of things that might have been introduced then. One is wouldnā€™t you? in English, one is the really ā€œcompressedā€ version of to tell me. Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s all I can think of at the moment. :smiley:

Ooh, really nice! Will you write a blog post (or write anything anywhere) about how it goes?

Thanks, Iā€™ll try to find time to do that :slight_smile:

Iā€™m 15, so youā€™d have to wait three years :smiley:

Where is that picture from? Looks really nice. I canā€™t think of any places close enough to my place like that, I have too much to do at school to go far away :tired_face:

1 Like

Have you been learning Finnish? :smiley:

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen a black and white flag before, thatā€™s really cool. Not as cool as the Welsh dragon, but cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, definitelyā€¦:slight_smile:

Thank you SO much for that hugely valuable detailed feedback.

It sounds (excitingly) as though you may actually have experienced some neural adaptation (to the prompt/response process) in the course of the two days. I expected you to say that the whole of the second day felt extremely hard, so the fact that you flew through the beginning of it is very, very interesting.

Donā€™t worry about listening to Radio Cymru - that can only be beneficial - in fact, thereā€™s no particular reason why you shouldnā€™t carry on with lessons, if you had any left - we just try to make the point with the accelerated approach that you really donā€™t need to do any extra work on your ā€˜offā€™ daysā€¦ :slight_smile:

It would be fantastic if you could let us know how you feel over the next two or three days - if you notice extra tiredness, or anything else out of the ordinary.

Youā€™ve really inspired me to think in terms of pushing even harder with some of the 5 day testing I want to do. When we have enough new material for some other languages, it might be interesting to have a few of our most confident learners do a 5 day challenge (with video diaries) at the same timeā€¦

3 Likes

Annheg!!!

What about the less confident and video diaries are scareyā€¦i mean i have a great face for radio!!!

:wink:

3 Likes

Day 2 after intense weekend: Definitely noticing extra tiredness :smiley: Iā€™m annoying everyone by starting every conversation by complaining about how tired I amā€¦ Also my throat still hurts from speaking so much. Oh, and I noticed I used some Welsh words in the language lab by accident today.

Okay, that was a bit too negative. Really, I feel great. Iā€™m really tired, but Iā€™m super happy with my Welsh and how much I can understand when listening to music and radio. :slight_smile: Iā€™d definitely do it again if I could.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s very interesting too - what language were you aiming for? Swedish?

The tiredness is inevitable. I would have been worried if you werenā€™t feeling itā€¦:slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably due to lack of concentration due to tiredness,
May I say, I think it is clear from your description of your Marathon that you are very bright and also young. I strongly suspect I could have done something like that in my teens, in fact, I did some Russian before doing Scientific Russian at Uni and the lectures never taught me anything I hadnā€™t already learned and remembered.
@aran Beware using very bright young ladies as templates when designing courses. Most people are not like @Novem!

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

Iā€™m doing two things at the moment - templating, with a first test probably in February, and testing limits - for the latter, what Novem has done here is very informativeā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch for showing me my typo, now corrected above!

2 Likes

Just thought Iā€™d state the obvious - even if I was fit enough to travel, there is no way my brain would stand up to one of your intensive courses now! Or if it did, Iā€™d forget all my English for about a week!!! (Types she who, when younger, returned from a week in Paris with a strong Quebecois accent!)

3 Likes

Yes, Swedishā€¦ Words like ā€œbutā€, ā€œorā€, ā€œifā€, ā€œandā€ ā€œlike(as in to be like something)ā€ and ā€œsomethingā€ always seem to come out in Welsh and I have to correct myself. Usually takes a really long time to think of the Swedish for them (the Welsh one just sort of keeps repeating in my head). I also try to start sentences in Welsh without noticing. :smiley:

This isnā€™t the first time this has happened, but itā€™s never been this strong before :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Heh, I had those problems after a bootcamp.

4 Likes

Same after mini bootcamp! most unusual

1 Like

Whatever you are thinking is probably right! He was reporting for Radio Canada on a visit to La Belle France by an important Quebecois politician! I was there for a Scientific Meeting!!

1 Like

Day 3 after intense weekend: Iā€™m not tired anymore :slight_smile: My throat still hurts, thoughā€¦
@aran, when you did the 18 Manx challenges, did your throat hurt in the evening? Iā€™m not sure if this is just because Iā€™m shy and not used to speaking that much in a day or if itā€™s normal.

2 Likes