'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be able to understand and speak to my neighbours and all the people in the shops around me. When I’m a Welsh speaker I will feel more a part of my new community.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my ancestors on my dad’s side are all Welsh and I have recently moved to Gwynedd. I will be able to speak to people around me and my dad in Welsh :wales:

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because that is a language of a country I used to live for a short time ( tho I thought I would stay for ever). I have started learning it with SSIW and I want to finish the course just because I have liked the language, the sound of it and the way it is taught ( tho 20 or 30 min wiuld be just perfect amount of learning time).

3 Likes

…i think it’s a beautiful language

3 Likes

Generally I love languages and learning different ones, and Welsh has always interested me. I live in England but Wales has become my destination of choice for summer holidays so it made sense to learn the language as I would if I was going to visit any country that had its own language. I think it’s respectful. I had the opportunity to try speaking a bit of Welsh when I was there a few weeks ago and the response I got made it all worthwhile :grin:

5 Likes

I’m sorry, this isn’t the right place to ask this, but I don’t where is. I desperately need to find the button to pause my next challenge. Its English half-term next week and I will be inundated with grandchildren! I’ve paused once before but can’t see where to click! Help!!! Diolch.

Tagging @Deborah-SSi and @Kinetic who’ll be able to sort you out :slightly_smiling_face:

@isobel-gliddon there isn’t actually a button to pause the emails, so you’re not missing anything :slight_smile:
Instead you need to contact admin@saysomethingin.com and request the pause, but as Aran has flagged your message here, I’ve done it for you now. You’re on pause at Week 13.

There is a button to ‘unpause’ though, so you’ll be able to do that when you’re ready. Enjoy the time with your grandchildren!

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my mother’s family came from North Wales and my Taid and Nain spoke Welsh to each other all their lives.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’d like to know what my grandchildren are saying! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I have lost my original sentence. I want to speak Welsh because I am Welsh; have spent most of my working life in Wales and want to assuage the guilt (isn’t that so very Welsh!) of not bothering to learn it before. Also I am hoping it will help my 74 yr old brain from deteriorating as fast as it so obviously is.

5 Likes

…I would like to speak to my new welsh speaking friends in Aberystwyth and surprise them! Also for my work, I would like to be able to speak welsh so that welsh speakers don’t have to switch to English when I join in the conversation.

6 Likes

…I’d like the sound of it and, unusually, for me I’m prepared to learn to actually speak it, rather than stopping at being happy at an advanced-reading level.
I fear, though, that I’ll never be able to tell people that I wouldn’t mind being a librarian. Seriously, have you looked at the word? Sut mae gen i pronounce it?! Impossible.

2 Likes

An idea that others have suggested with difficult to pronounce words is to keep practising the last syllable, and when you’re happy with that, add the second from last syllable to it, and so on until you’ve got the whole word - good luck!

3 Likes

Hmmm… Have you thought about being a cook instead? :wink:

Seriously, though, you will get there. I remember spending about 6 weeks trying to say the word “ardderchog”, but I got there in the end.

2 Likes

Haha. Thank you. Mae ddrwg gen i, medra i ddim coginio…The second dream career path in my childhood was “dofwr llew”. (Btw, an old German word for lion is Leu… I love language connections!)

2 Likes

My sentence was “I think that I still need to learn how to speak Welsh a little more slowly”
I wanted to use words and phrases that I have recently learned and put them together. I recorded it twice to be sure I got it. Hope it is right.
I wanted to learn Welsh because my father wanted me to when I was young. I didn’t. We never spoke Welsh in the house except once in a while when he had too much beer to drink. Then his Welsh was fluent!! Now that I’m 77, I realize how important it is for my grandchildren to know about where their family came from and what their language sounds like…. I am really enjoying these sessions and it is becoming easier and easier not to use the pause button. All the best from this Welshman from Colorado Springs, CO

4 Likes

It would greatly enhance my sense of ‘belonging’ to the country in which I spent most of my childhood and some of my adolescence (when I wasn’t away at boarding school in England) and it would be a way of expressing belated gratitude to the amazing Welsh ladies (my father was Anglo-Scottish) who made such an enormous contribution to my later life and who fascinated me with their conversations in Cymraeg at my Nain’s home in Amlwch. (Sorry about the long ‘one sentence’, but that is but one small part of my motivation).

As for hopes, I would love to be able to hold an unhesitating conversation with one of the reception staff at our favourite hotel in Anglesey, who has been such a patient listener and motivator.

6 Likes

We had a cat from Nantyglo (Blaenau Gwent, not Pennsylvania) once, it had six toes on each paw. Make of that what you will!

1 Like

… I love Wales and I want to feel more at home there - not just a tourist, but someone who’s respectful of the language & culture. Also my 1st language Welsh friend is always laughing with the waiters when we go for a curry, and I just know they’re taking it out of the foreigner…! (First comment deeply meant, second true but facetious).

4 Likes