'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I moved to live in Wales and it feels the right thing to do! Also I enjoy learning and used to be quite good at languages in the dim distant past when I was at school!
I am not sure what I hope will happen other than me gaining a bit more insight into Welsh culture and getting a sense of personal satisfaction and pride.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I hope to move to North Wales to live near my daughter who has settled there and I hope that speaking Welsh will help me to feel at home there.

4 Likes

I live in Wales and work in NHS Wales and I love Welsh - then I discovered that my birth motherā€™s family on her fatherā€™s side came from Wales (Prices) which made me feel that I really do belong here :slight_smile: I feel enormously proud that I can speak even a little bit of Welsh and I love trying it out on people. When I can speak more fluently I will be able to chat with my Welsh-speaking friends and really feel part of this community.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve already posted my reason here, but I think Iā€™ve never really shared my story which involves learning Welsh and since Iā€™ve seen a couple of them out there, I decided to share mine as well. And itā€™s also coming close to my 1 year anniversary of learning the language.
For starters, I live in Poland, I was born in Poland and I have nothing to do with Wales or Welsh language whatsoever, albeit Iā€™m indeed not 100% Polish. Iā€™m just a bloke who picked up the language for laughs and giggles.
Well, I was already deeply into Japanese culture and language, I even passed JLPT N4 which is apparently not that easy to pass for foreigners, with a formidable rate of less than 20% chance of success in my country. However, I only started learning Japanese, because I was really into Japanese music and I wanted to be able to translate the lyrics myself without relying on English translations. In fact, cramming all these kanji was so daunting even though the language itself is a cakewalk, really. I ultimately achieved my goal, but did I enjoy learning the language? Well, kind ofā€¦
In the meantime I failed university twice (due to personal and family issues + depression on top of this) and I tried for the third time which, surprisingly, turned out to be successful, but then the very last year approached. I panicked, because how the hell do you maintain working full time and writing a thesis? Yes, itā€™s the best time to pick up another language to learn.
I should mention as well that around the second year of the university, I chose Spanish instead of English, because why wouldnā€™t I. I liked it at first, however it was only the novelty bias speaking, I reckon.
Now, back to the main story. I decided to start learning Welsh, because Iā€™ve always been into linguistics and a Celtic language seemed to be a nice addition to my language database. And, letā€™s face it, I also thought that learning Welsh could be a cool party trick. Luckily, Duolingo has a Welsh course available, so I started my journey there. Before I knew it, I literally fell in love with the language for no apparent reason.
It truly helped me go through the horrors of my last year in the university as I organized my routine, so I could learn Welsh daily and only because of that, I was able to complete my thesis. I ultimately graduated with honors this year, which wouldnā€™t be even remorely possible without my little routine as I still had PTSD from previously failed studies and my time management skills suck more than a good Dyson.
Nowadays, I think my Welsh became better than my Japanese which Iā€™m still very sentimental about. I organized a trip to Wales as a form of celebrating my graduation and I think Iā€™d like to move there. By no means because I live a bad life in Poland. I simply want to pursue learning the language I genuinely fell in love with.
Iā€™d like to thank SSiW as well for letting me progress immensely as it was a part of my last year of uni routine.
So yes, once again, I want to be a Welsh speaker, because I accidentally fell in love with the language.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s such an inspirational story, mumeiowycz - thank you so much for sharing it! Have you already been to Wales? If youā€™re here again and in the north, weā€™d love to have you come round for coffee :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been to Cardiff a couple weeks ago as a reward for graduating and Iā€™m planning my next year holidays in Wales as well and this time, yes, I want to go up north :slightly_smiling_face:
Diolch o galon for invitation, Iā€™d love to :heart:

1 Like

Congratulations on graduating - hope you enjoyed Cardiff, itā€™s one of my favourite cities - weā€™ll look forward to seeing you when you make it up to Caernarfon! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you! I loved my time in Cardiff and to be honest, I already miss it!
Cardiff ā†’ Bangorā†’ Caernarfon sounds like a nice trip, edrych ymlaen! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Because i was born and bread in wales and wasnā€™t allowed to go to a welsh school and Iā€™ve been trying to learn since I was a young adult. My goal is to be able to go to an Eisteddfod and successfully speak and listen in welsh without using a word of English ( winning learner of the year would be nice too if anyone can tell me and help me to do that :joy:)

5 Likes

I agree whole heartedly! I am also moving to Wales, although only for a while and what a great opportunity for us to learn a new language!

4 Likes

I want to be able to converse with the rest of my Welsh speaking family and enjoy the rich culture the comes with understanding and speaking the language.

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I was born in Wales with a Welsh speaking father and 4 welsh speaking grandparents. I have spent most of my working life in Wales and now at 74 I cannot understand why I have not done it before. Also at my age I need to keep my brain active.

5 Likes

To help my 4 year old grandson while heā€™s learning Welsh in school and hopefully when heā€™s older to be able to speak welsh with him :blush:

4 Likes

Corrections welcome

Dw i isio bod yn siarad Cymraeg achos maeā€™n bwysig i mi a dylwn fod wedi cymryd y gyfle pan oeddwn yn yr ysgol.
(I want to speak Welsh because it is important to me, and I should have taken the opportunity when I was at school)

Bydd pethauā€™n newid i mi gen y byddaf yn gallu siarad gyda ffrindiau a theulu syā€™n siarad Cymraeg, yn y Cymraeg
(Things will change for me, as I will be able to speak with friends and family who are Welsh speakers, in Welsh)

Diolch yn fawr

3 Likes

I would like to live in Wales, and think I will do so soon. :blush: I donā€™t want to live there and not be able to speak the national language, and also it is a really special language that very few people around me in England can speak, my husband says I am joining a cult :rofl: And the one thing I hope will change is that I hope I can speak to new people in a beautiful language. Even though I am only just starting out, I am starting to have small conversations out in the wild with real Welsh speakers which is a real buzz.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live in Wales and know the importance of keeping the language alive.

4 Likes

I went to Spain with two friends for a holiday and the three of us were having a decent stab at speaking Spanish (Castilian) when the other two started wanting to try learning some Basque and Catalan. My response to their attempts to run before they could walk was to think ā€˜why would I want to learn a minority language from Spain when there is one spoken 9 miles over the bridge from where I live?ā€™. Well, not widely spoken, but itā€™s written there on the roads and roadsigns. Being from Bristol, iā€™m not Welsh, but itā€™s my local minority language as far as iā€™m concerned.
After a bit more reflection it occurred to me that although iā€™m not Welsh by geographical birth, iā€™m British, and there may well be as much Briton in me as there is Saxon (My grandmother for instance, was a Davies). Cymraeg may now be the Welsh language, but before the Angles, Saxons, and Norsemen came, it was the British language, and is therefore part of the heritage of most of the English. Thatā€™s what really sold me on wanting to learn it.

6 Likes

I sing in a Welsh choir and understanding what I am singing will help me remember the words - maybe!

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my first grandson has been born in North Wales and Welsh will be his first language. My hope is that I will be able to play and speak with him in Welsh as he grows up.

5 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because l live in Wales so it only seems polite to learn the national language just as l Would if l lived in France or Spain or anywhere else where English wasnā€™t the language.(ok l know that everyone in Wales can speak English too but thatā€™s just an excuse not to bother!)

5 Likes