'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I hope to be able to converse with my Welsh speaking friends

4 Likes

I have moved to live in Wales and it seems natural to try and learn the language.

7 Likes

I want to learn welsh because my grandfather came from a welsh speaking family and it makes me sad that the language was forgotten over time. But thatā€™s why Iā€™m here: to relearn it!

5 Likes

At 68 years old I want to give my Welsh speaking cousins the shock of their lives and have the Welsh conversations I wish weā€™d had when we were younger.

8 Likes

I fell in love with the language after hearing a song in Welsh. Now I am enjoying the fact that I definitely am able to learn ā€˜yr iaithā€™ when I keep practising, ymarfer mwy.

6 Likes

Challenge 15 and Iā€™m asked to repeat the earlier task, which is a bit confusing as I still have the same reasons and hopes as at the start!
@Nia Llewelynā€™s last day tomorrow, I understand and I wish I could have made more sessions with herā€¦ Diolch yn fawr iawn Nia!

I LOVE this reason :rofl:

2 Likes

I want to become a Welsh speaker because I am born and bred in mid Wales and think itā€™s only right I learn to speak a language thatā€™s dying out I want to do my bit to keep the language alive. In the past Iā€™ve learnt Welsh O Level in school and Iā€™ve since attended both French and Spanish lessons as an adult but then Iā€™ve thought to myself why am I trying to learn those languages when itā€™s Wales where I live and I always will live here- thatā€™s the language I need to concentrate on :wales:

4 Likes

it is a beautiful language.

6 Likes

My mumā€™s family are Welsh and I would love to chat with my relatives in Welsh. Iā€™ve tried once before and given up but here to try again - and hopefully succeed!

6 Likes

I want to speak Welsh as I have lived in west Wales for 23 years and would love to be able to have a conversation with my neighbours in their first language .

6 Likes

we plan to retire to Criccieth, where my husband is from, and it will help me to feel that I am part of the local community.

5 Likes

I have always been fascinated in the language and if i donā€™t do it now when will i do it?

4 Likes

i want to be a Welsh speaker because I am Welsh but feel bad that I could only speak a few words until this course came along. I am part of a church recognised as a warm h7b so I can now welcome people in in Welsh which is brilliant!

4 Likes

Dw iā€™n moyn bod siaradwyr Cymraeg achos dw iā€™n byw yng Nghymru a dwiā€™n meddwl bod yr iaith yn prydferth

4 Likes

As a family we used to go to Criccieth often on holiday. Dwi angen mynd i Criccieth eto. (Iā€™m pretty sure the C o Criccieth mutates but not sure how?!?)

4 Likes

yes, that would become ā€˜i Griciethā€™, well sensed :slight_smile:

Diolch Aran

1 Like

Looking forward to having you here. I retired to the Cricieth area nine months ago. Being able to speak Welsh - having completed the SSIW course has been so helpful. People are amazed by my pronunciation and grammatical grasp of the language plus the ability to formulate sentences very quickly. It has given me an inroad into the village where I live which is almost entirely first language Welsh. People locally are so appreciative that I have taken the time to really learn the language before moving to Wales and as a result we have been accepted as part of the community straight away.
Keep going - even the the very tough parts of the course. Itā€™s really worth it.

7 Likes

What a wonderful rƓle model you are! Diolch o galon am dysgu :star2:

@CatrinLliarJones I think there might be an uplifting story here :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like