'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

You just know the people behind you in the queue for boarding will be from Caernarfon… :laughing:

Lovely reasons for learning :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:joy:

Because I fell in love with the language. Cheesy, I know, but that’s the reason, really. I’m not from the UK, with no Welsh heritage, no connection to the country whatsoever. I picked it up out of curiosity and ended up wanting to know more about this beautiful language and Welsh culture.

6 Likes

That’s one of my favourite reasons! Where are you from?

2 Likes

I’m from Poland!

2 Likes

Oh, how lovely - there are a few connections over there, used to be a Welsh course in one of the universities at one point I think. We’re hoping to do a lot more to make it possible to learn Welsh through different languages, to try and reach more different places :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I tried to look for a uni course over here at one point and yes indeed, it used to be one in Lublin, in South-Eastern Poland. Learning Welsh in Polish could be so much fun as there are many similarities between these two languages. You’re arleady doing so much to help the language spread across the globe. Thankfully, English being a lingua franca (and taught as a compulsory subject in many countries including Poland) still helps.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s always really encouraging to see it spread even just through the medium of English, although of course we don’t have the funds to be promoting it actively all over the world.

We’ve done some test work here with making the beginning of the course available through the medium of Arabic, Pashto and Dari - and we’ve got a lot more to do to make it easy of access for all the different communities, as well as refugees and asylum seekers, in Wales - and that work should then make it possible to build the course through the medium of a lot of different languages, which I think will help spread the word further - I’m looking forward to it enormously! :smiley:

4 Likes

That’s so cool and inspiring, really! I wish I could, one day, teach Welsh myself and contribute to the spread of the language, through the media of both Polish and English, because I imagine there’s quite a bit of Poles out there as well!

1 Like

I think that will probably be possible quite soon - we’re working on a thing called Anyone Can Teach which allows people to run classes through their own learning account - so once we add Polish as an interface language, you’d be able to run classes locally :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Ohh, lovely! Now I have one more reason to practice my Welsh!

2 Likes

I’ve tried to learn Welsh most of my life - I feel it’s something from my family history that has been lost - my great grandmother was Welsh speaking and I remember my grandmother telling me how she used to speak to the “Siony” Onion Men from Brittany in Welsh - this always fascinated me.

8 Likes

I wanted to be a Welsh speaker because I wanted to learn another language but study in English.
I now want to be a Welsh speaker because it gives me joy and sounds pretty.

I hope that I shock somebody because they don’t expect me to be able to understand them :smile:

6 Likes

It’s time I got it sorted properly

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because Wales has been a huge part of my life, my soul is in Wales, and I don’t know why I have put off learning it for so long.

7 Likes

My grandfather was born in Wales and came to Australia in 1928, on his own, when he was just 16 years old, as part of the Big Brothers program.

When I was young he taught me some phrases that I have long since forgotten, however I still remember being in the garage listening to him speak in Welsh. He never lost his beautiful Welsh accent.

I know very little about my Welsh ancestry and started doing my family tree to discover more. Learning the language feels like a link to the past and since I started I have become smitten with all the quirks, frustration and beauty of the language.

I hope to visit Wales one day soon and at the very least be able to order a coffee (neu gwin) in Welsh :blush:

7 Likes

That’s very much my own story, too. I only lived in Wales (Gelli, Rhondda) for the first few years of my life, but clearly remember the onion sellers on their bikes and hearing one of my grandfathers speaking Welsh with a great aunt. I was not given the opportunity to learn Welsh as a child, or even use it, and then England, Belgium and Spain, as well as getting married, somehow got in the way of my aspirations to learn my own language properly. I still enjoy listening to Welsh, can pick up sufficient to follow along, and can read it quite well, but it is still something I miss.

6 Likes

I am a linguist, formerly a teacher of English as a foreign language and I believe all languages are precious as they are part of a land’s culture and heritage and should be preserved. Welsh has fascinated me for a long time as it is a beautiful language to hear so I decided to learn it as a retirement project.

Being a fairly regular visitor to North Wales I would like to be able to enjoy my holiday completely in Welsh, plus my consultant at Caerdydd hospital is a Welsh speaker and I would love to be able to conduct our meetings in her language.

4 Likes

Love your reason for learning, you are in the opposite situation to me, I am a patient hoping to be able to speak to my Welsh consultant in her own language.

3 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because its so interesting and I want to be part of welsh culture.

4 Likes