'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a welsh speaker because: Dad was Welsh but never spoke the language. Also as the oldest European language it deserves to be loved and revered and should not be allowed to just fade away. The Welsh are the keepers of the myths and legends of the Islands of Britain (as are the Irish and the Scots) and I feel it is important that we can keep the ties to those stories alive in their language. (if youve never read the Mabinogi, you should - I want to read it in Welsh!) Also Welsh culture is full and vibrant and deserves to be heard in its native tongue. And finally, I love Wales and want to interact with the people and the landscape on their/itā€™s own terms.

4 Likes

I want to learn Welsh because I am proud to be Welsh and itā€™s about time I learned the language.
Achieving this will make my life more complete and a huge step in returning to Wales to live.

5 Likes

I want to be able to converse with my grandchildren in Welsh as it is their first language.

6 Likes

I want to make up for forgetting everything I learned in my Welsh GCSE. I hope it will give me more options if I choose to move back to Wales.

7 Likes

becauseā€¦I want to hold a conversation with my welsh speaking partner and show him just how much his culture means to me

5 Likes

I want to enjoy conversations with the next generation who are siaradwyr cymraeg.

5 Likes

ā€¦itā€™s good to get the brain cells working (especially getting older!) and I want to be able to use Cymraeg in my local community - Llanelli.

5 Likes

Dwi eisio siarad Cymraeg achos ā€¦.I hope to write a poem in Cymraeg, tell a story in Cymraeg, hear the life story of an elderly person in Cymraeg and belong with the people in the landscape ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

6 Likes

My family is Welsh and I was born in Wales but we moved away when I was 9. I was always sad that, apart from a few words, I couldnā€™t speak my own language. I am really enjoying the chance to do something about that now. Thank you for making it possible.

5 Likes

I have been a Welsh football fan for many years and travel away as many times as I can and I have met some fantastic people, many of whom speak Welsh and I want to join them in speaking our own language

6 Likes

Because of a wild series of unexpected life circumstances, I moved to Wales last year, nes i symud i Gymru y llynedd. As an American if you asked me what do you know about Wales, itā€™s a tiny country next to England where there are a lot of sheep and they have a language that inspired Elvish in The Lord of the Rings. So, standard stereotypes, not much. But I mean, what isnā€™t there to love about Wales, dwiā€™n caru popeth yma, I love everything here. I thought it would be disrespectful to move to Wales and speak no Welsh, so I thought I should at least be able to have an interaction at a cafe or shop in Welsh. But the language, y iaith, really does have this presence and - I mean whatā€™s the right word here - vibe, I suppose. The way it looks and sounds. The more I learned, the more I needed to be fluent. Now my life goals include things like play with my band on Noson Lawen play at yr Eisteddfod Genedlaethol, translate a book into Cymraeg, help spread the language in a meaningful way.

7 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I have made my home in Wales and I want to be understood.

6 Likes

I am Welsh born, my grandmother was a Welsh speaker, but moved to England when my father was 7, so he never got to speak the language. He (and my English mother!) moved back to Wales just before I was born and I have always wanted to be able to speak the language. Although I have knowledge of quite a few words in Welsh, stringing them together to make an intelligent sentence eludes me! Also sometimes when I do try to speak to someone in Welsh, I just donā€™t have a quick enough brain to understand what they say back to me. I will keep trying though!

7 Likes

Keeping on trying is the key - youā€™ll keep on getting better :slight_smile:

Itā€™s my heritage, and Iā€™ve always regretted that I havenā€™t been able to speak the language.

4 Likes

itā€™s an intellectual challenge which makes me work my brain in different ways and will, eventually, help me to converse with and enjoy the company of hundreds of thousands more people.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because i am embarrassed to be Welsh and not be able to speak the language

3 Likes

I want to exercise my brain a bit.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live in Ceredigion and I want to be able to communicate better with Welsh speakers

5 Likes

I want to hold a conversation with my welsh speaking partner and show him just how much his culture means to me

and one thing I hope will happenā€¦that I can hold a complete conversation, in Welsh, with my partner and also get involved in the conversations with his family. I actually want to be able to speak in Welsh at the airport in October when we go on holiday and no-one know what weā€™re talking about! :grin:

7 Likes