'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I missed the opportunity to learn it when I was younger- I decided to do German and French, instead. I’m catching up though! My kids are beginning to learn Welsh in school and I want to help them all I can on their journeys to speaking fluently. Diolch!

5 Likes

I feel robbed of it because of my parents lack of enthusiasm and the poor education system, it is a challenge, and I want to surprise a friend or two…

4 Likes

Lovely to have fans of Kris on here - he’s an enormously warm and kind and interesting person, and incredibly generous about spreading the word about SSiW :star2: :heart:

That sounds like an excellent set of motivational factors - I suspect you’ll do brilliantly :star2:

2 Likes

About 10 years ago, I spent 6 weeks (off and on) in Duluth and surrounding area on the coast of Superior. Loved it.

3 Likes

Northern Minnesota is genuinely beautiful land. I keep telling my friends out in California about how great it is out here, but they keep telling me that it can’t beat beaches and sunshine. And in the winter, I can’t blame them. :joy:

1 Like

Dw i’n cytuno. Mae’r cefn gwlad o gwmpas Llyn Superior yn prydferth ond mae hi’n oer iawn iawn yn y gaeaf :cold_face:

1 Like

I want to be able to talk to people in Welsh, to communicate and understand in a new language, to support my children through Welsh medium education, give myself some more career opportunities but also for a little bit of fun, for some me-time and to see just how far I can go with it!

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have chosen to live in Wales and I hope to be understood.

5 Likes

my Granddaughter will be going to a Welsh speaking nursery in the coming months and I want her to feel that Welsh is all around her and not this impediment to communication that ‘teachers impose’ at ‘school’.

I want to have Welsh spoken naturally around the house. I was really thrilled the other day when we were playing with plastic balls and I told Scout the colour of each ball as I picked it up. I never knew that I knew so many colours!

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to honour my father’s memory … and I will then be able to speak to my cousin Graeme in Welsh.
*One thing that I hope will happen * Graeme will be totally gobsmacked.

7 Likes

I remember Mrs Davies Cherry Bank who lived next to my grandparents and was so kind to us, when we visited as small children… the sound of her musical language as she sat us down on her sofa and fed us welshcakes and squash! It’s a misty memory of a mystical language and I have always wanted to learn… so why now is more the matter… so well, I’d like to be a welsh speaker as I hope to move soon to South Wales and I’d like to speak with people in their own language and become a part of the community. I also want to be able to offer to work with clients in both languages, though that’s a longer way off! We shall see how far I get!

7 Likes

…having moved to Wales with my Welsh Wife to work in the NHS, it is the right thing to do. To be able to offer the chance to speak to patients in their own language, rather than assume the conversation will be in English. It will be some time, but this is a start and I’m getting there.

12 Likes

I want to belong.

7 Likes

Da iawn ti @mark-bennett4 ! Your patients will be delighted and thank you for your dedication to their well being.

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love Wales. My grandmother was born in Wales and was Welsh speaking but wasn’t allowed to learn Welsh in school. She married and came to live in England and in later years after retiring she and Mrs Jones down the road finally learnt to read and write Welsh which they really enjoyed. She would be delighted to see Welsh being spoken so much more now especially in schools. I’m sorry that I never got to speak Welsh with her but I’m sure she would approve. I think its so important to help keep the language going.

7 Likes

…I love languages and Welsh is certainly unique. So much is lost in translation and I’m hoping to experience Welsh culture first hand without things lost in translation.

3 Likes

I have lived in powys for about 17yrs now. I love wales and have a few friends who speak welsh. It would be great to get together with them and enjoy speaking welsh whilst out and about.
I also have welsh cousins so would be fab to surprise them, when i know enough to hold a conversation about family x

3 Likes

… my sister and her family live in Wales, and whenever I visit them I feel there is such a rich culture that would be even more accessible to me if I were to understand and speak its language. The next time I meet with some of their Welsh-speaking friends I want to be able to hold a decent conversation in Cymraeg and not be lost for words (as I was the last time).

6 Likes

My Grandparents were Welsh speaking and I dont want Welsh to be lost from our family.

5 Likes

because I think it’ll make me feel even more proud of being from this wonderful country. :wales:

5 Likes