'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I think its important to preserve and promote Welsh culture, and by learning the language I will be doing my bit to achieve that. One thing that I hope will happen when I am a Welsh speaker is the ability to converse with people in work confidently.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live in Wales and feel like I should make an effort to learn, also because itā€™s fun to learn something new.

One thing I hope will happen is that I can learn alongside and help my son when he learns Welsh in school.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to connect more with my Welsh heritage, and help preserve the language in some small way.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve posted before to share the reasons, but forgot the link - here it isā€¦ https://ssi-cyhoeddus.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/recording/3474/6min_10_onesentence.mp3

1 Like

I use Duolinguo Spanish alongside saysomethinginspanish.com and Iā€™ve found them to be complementary.
I was also using Babbel and memrise too, but Iā€™ve put them on hold at present because they work differently and Iā€™ll go back to them after completing ssispanish. I like the say something in method because it really does ā€œreprogrammeā€ your brain and body to learn the basics of the new language because the method integrates mental exercise with the physicality of listening and speaking.

Duolinguo Welsh is good but since it hasnā€™t been funded very well and Duolinguo donā€™t want to update it anymore it has a number of glitches and issues.
But Itā€™s still a very good way to practice reading, listening and written stuff whilst expanding your vocabulary.

I learnt Welsh as an adult the traditional way by doing night classes - wlpan 3essons a week followed by twice a week intermediate lessons and then on to the A level and a part time degree course.
But I also used the 3rd level ssiw southern course to help me sound more natural when I was already fluent.

I totally understand why you find the Ssiw course challenging (itā€™s purposely brain melting at times) Iā€™m presently using the Spanish courses.
Iā€™ve found that I have to lock myself away from all distractions and totally focus on the lessons. I usually listen to the listening practice first and then do the lesson. I tried to do lessons in a more passive way at work but that wasnā€™t very successful (except for going over previous lessons) because although I made progress, I hit a bit of a wall and needed to repeat 15 earlier lessons.

Now @aran 's instructions are vital - relax and enjoy the game!
use the pause button at first but only when you have to. Itā€™s a cumulative process and you have to trust that process.

• I have a bit of adhd and dyspraxia so I use the pause button and the back button quite often when I start to feel stressed by the selfvimposed pressure of trying to get an answer out. The ā€œmental freezeā€ from such stress can be really debilitating
    However Iā€™m usually fairly confident by the second or at most third attempt at a lesson but when Iā€™m relaxed I can sometimes do an entire lesson successfully at the first attempt. Sometimes I might need to use the back button four or five times on a particularly long sentence.

Itā€™s all about ā€œgetting in the zoneā€
ā€œtrusting the processā€
and most importantly treating it as fun (in the way that hard work can be fun if you approach it with a good attitude) :nerd_face::+1::blush:

4 Likes

Dw iā€™n moyn dysgu siarad Cymraeg achos dw iā€™n moyn byw yn Sir Penfroā€¦

(switching to English because I donā€™t know the rest in Welsh - yet!)

ā€¦ in a few years time, to be nearer the mountains I like to walk through and climb on. Iā€™ve lived in several parts of the world, and Iā€™ve always thought it good manners to at least learn some of the basics of the local language, even if the locals also happen to speak good English. Moving to Wales will be no different, even though it is part of the UK.

Additionally, of all the Celtic languages, Iā€™ve always loved the sound of Welsh most. Itā€™s just lovely on the ear.

6 Likes

I want to speak Welsh beacuse I lived in Wales and even tho learning Welsh was not love at the first sight I fell in love with it and I want to be able to speak it with confidence.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because i want to be able to speak to colleagues with confidence, in their first language, even though it is my 2nd.

5 Likes

I want to be closer to my welsh family

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live next door to a beautiful country that speaks a different language. I love Wales!

5 Likes

ā€¦i want to bring my child up bilingual.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to fully immerse myself in Welsh culture, which has always captivated me, as well as being able to speak to my partner in his native language.

7 Likes

Technically off-topic but I highly approve of the Peridot avatar :eyes:

1 Like

I would like to learn Welsh because Iā€™ve moved to Anglesey and love the Welsh language, I know my local community are keen to preserve it. My hope is that I will be able to speak Welsh with them rather than them having to switch to English because Iā€™m there!

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because itā€™s a beautiful language that means something to me. My grandmotherā€™s family are all from Lampeter and the surrounding villages and they spoke Welsh as a first language. I always enjoyed listening to my mamgu speak cymraeg. My dad didnā€™t get much exposure to the language as he was raised in England for the most part. He has sadly passed and there is definitely an element of wanting to make him proud.

7 Likes

I have always had an interest in the country Wales and I love the sound of Welsh. I would like to visit Wales and tryout my new language skills.

4 Likes

I want to chat with my grand children in both their languages and enjoy a richer time chatting to local people when I am visiting them in North Wales. Not that there is any issue speaking English with everyone today itā€™s just I always like to want to ā€˜participateā€™ in the local scene wherever I am

5 Likes

Dw iā€™n moyn gwybod sut i siarad Cymraeg achos dw iā€™n dod o Gymru.

I was born in Wales and am Welsh, so Iā€™ve always felt embarassed that Welsh was always my weakest subject back when I was in school (until they tried to make me learn Frenchā€¦ then that became my weakest).

Iā€™ve also felt pretty detatched from Welsh traditions as I learnt about things like Mari Llwyd and Hen Blwyddyn Newydd through the internet rather than growing up with them, and although my school did have its own Eisteddfod the concept was tarnished by the gross miscarriage of justice that was Ty Coch winning that one year when Ty Gwyrdd should have won.

Now Iā€™m living in Pontypridd, and the Iā€™ve been reading more about Welsh history recently (Dw iā€™n meddwl bod hanes yn diddorol iawn). Welsh couldā€™ve been my native language if it wasnā€™t for the Romans, or the Saxons, or the Normans, or the Tudors, or theā€¦ you get the idea. So I guess what Iā€™m trying to say is, dw iā€™n moyn dysgu sut i siarad Gymraeg achos dw iā€™n caru Cymru a dw iā€™n moyn yr iath Cymraeg barhau.

I have two things Iā€™ like to achive by the end of 2024. One is being able to speak Welsh with my native Welsh-speaking colleague at work, without my brain freezing and forgetting all the Welsh I know. The other is going to the National Eisteddfod and tryingto have a conversation in Welsh.

7 Likes

Excellent goals! And there will be plenty of us at the Eisteddfod this summer to have that conversation with you, if you want to start with a friendly audience that you know (and work your way on to the friendly audience that you donā€™t know in the rest of the Eisteddfodwyr) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have Welsh heritage and have felt the pull to the history, land, culture, and language over the years. When my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimerā€™s and we learned that speaking a new language can delay the onset of dementia and Alzheimerā€™s, I decided to learn Welsh! I also want the Welsh language to continue. I feel a saddening at the loss of my own history and the loss of the Welsh culture, and I want to choose to do something about it, if only in my own life. I want to visit and be in the places my family is from and I want to be able to speak the local language when I am there. So excited to take this on!

5 Likes