'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

……because I wantto learn a language I can actually use and chat to people in, not just for holidays.

7 Likes

I have been going to the same few square miles of the Brecon Beacons for 37 years and want to be able to go into a cafe and ask for a coffi, or to see the butcher (who is now a friend) for bacwn, selsig ac wyau, and-who knows- maybe manage a bit of small talk, too: mae hi’n heulog heddiw, well i fi fynd i’r mynnoedd!

9 Likes

I want to speak Welsh because I once lived and worked in Wales (and learnt a little Welsh), and although I may never live there again (I now live “across the pond”), when I am a fully Welsh speaking person, I will be able to chat with other Welsh speakers over here!

7 Likes

……I want to be able to speak in Welsh to Welsh speakers and not have to default to English. I often feel rude and disrespectful when I have to speak to a Welsh speaker in English and they in turn have to speak to me in English!

10 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to make my bilingual children proud of their mam at last!
Sadly it will be too late for my first language Welsh speaking husband who passed june 2020 but I know he would have been proud of me.
I wish I had discovered SSIW years ago and built up the courage to speak with him in his native tongue.
It is a beautiful language and there is nothing more beautiful in music than a Welsh choir singing in Welsh!

11 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because… it’s my mam’s first language, a fact I am very proud of, and I want to be able to speak Welsh with her, and to honour the memory of my great auntie Ceri who helped campaign for the revival of the Welsh language almost a century ago.

I’m also a writer by trade, and I’d love to be able to write in Welsh one day.

8 Likes

Writer here also, I encourage you to try it and keep going! You got this!

1 Like

I want to be a welsh speaker because my husband wants to and because it will be nice to lovingly tell my children “be quiet” or “stop doing that” in the stores. Since we live in the states I would be surprised if anyone understood what I’m saying in those moments :joy:

10 Likes

Oh that’s a wonderful idea! Almost like a secret language!

1 Like

I am planning to move to N Wales next year and I want to be able to get to make new friends.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker to connect more profoundly to my Welsh heritage. We’ve lost the Welsh Language in my family, and I want it back!

10 Likes

Welsh is more European than English these days.

1 Like

It’s part of my heritage, and I want to do my bit to help keep the language alive. I’ve always been fascinated with the Welsh language and culture - I tried to teach myself from a book I found in my college library in the 80’s but failed miserably and am so grateful that technology has made it possible for me to learn now.

7 Likes

I what to be a Welsh speaking because I would like to speaking welsh with my kids and help the language grow.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have been learning more about my Welsh ancestry, and it is a beautiful and unique language that needs to keep thriving! It would be nice to visit or even move to Cymru someday.

9 Likes

I want to chat with my neighbours and make my welsh speaking children proud

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker to connect with my family history on my dad’s side. He grew up not speaking it and it feels like something is ‘missing’. Becoming a Welsh speaker will connect me with that Welsh-ness :grinning:

9 Likes

This may sound daft. A long long time ago I studied medieval Welsh: recently I wanted to return to it, but I’d forgotten whatever I had learnt, and I thought learning the modern version might help, at least I would be able to ‘hear’ it, and if I became proficient enough I’d be able to use the Welsh Editions of texts I couldn’t find with English notes and glossaries; however it became an end in itself; it’s a beautiful language.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because we used the revival of Welsh and Hebrew as examples of how governments were providing funding and support as we were assisting Tribes with revitalizing Native American languages. My dad, born in Llanelli arrived babe in arms with his mom, dad, and sister Ceridwen (from Merthyr and Glanamman in Carmarthenshire) in America. I still have relatives (Thomas and Beynon) in Wales. I remember them speaking Welsh (he died when I was 9). I never imagined learning such a challenging language–it’s right up there with Ojibwe!

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh Speaker because I spent many holidays in Wales growing up and married into a Welsh family.
He has since passed away and I emigrated to the USA and remarried but
I am hoping to be able to speak Welsh with them when I return for vacations.

6 Likes