'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I’ve lived on the Welsh border for over 35 years and am ashamed to say I haven’t tried to learn any Welsh yet. So here goes… (Hope I’ll be able to make myself understood!)

7 Likes

My father had to endure the Welsh knot due to the industrialisation of the South of Wales. I am determined to be the first Welsh speaker in our family to honour my Fathers family. Half English i am but passionate about anything Welsh.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because its been on my bucket list for decades - and its now or never!

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my Welsh speaking friends won’t have to speak English when I am with them

9 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker so I can chat with my grandchildren in Welsh.

7 Likes

I love Wales, I live in Wales and I would like to be able to speak Welsh fluently to my children, who learnt Welsh in school.

6 Likes

I want to speak the language of my grandfather even though he’s not here anymore, I want to connect with my roots and fully embrace the beautiful living language and culture

6 Likes

I want to feel confident in using the language of the beautiful part of the world I live in.

6 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I find it rewarding to be able to speak with my great grand daughter in her language and feel it has created a greater bond between myself and her family.I believe it is important to keep the Welsh language and culture alive.
Diolch yn fawr iawn

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker primarily due to heritage, as my Grandfather was from Wales and so I wanted to honour my Welsh heritage. That was my sole reason at first, and while it still is my primary reason, I’ve also thought of 3 other reasons as I’ve gone along with my Welsh studies:
1: Welsh is a very fun language.
2: I personally feel like Welsh comes to me naturally, I can’t quite describe it fully, but you probably get the idea.
And lastly, 3: Dw i’n moyn i’r Iaith Gymraeg barhau! :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I want to be welsh speaker because I think it is a beautiful language as well as the being the language of home

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I lived there as a child and my heart never left.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker so I can order a pint at my favourite pub in Caernarfon, chat with my mate Jonesy, and say hello to anyone else I meet on my travels in Wales.

7 Likes

Speaking Cymraeg would be the superpower I unconsciously wished for growing up in Liverpool in the sixties, pushing me toward curiosity about other languages and acquiring them. By a circuitous route I have returned to my first fascination.

6 Likes

I feel I have something missing :slightly_smiling_face: I am Welsh and my grandfather could understand welsh.
I would like to be able to chat in cymraeg on my visits to ceredigion, which I love :grin::grin:

6 Likes

… because I’m moving to Wales and want to embrace the culture!

8 Likes

Ever since doing A Level French many years ago, when I was too shy to speak it, I’ve had a hankering to become fluent in a language. As I live in a Welsh speaking area, the opportunity to practise is too good to miss. Also, I currently have a lot of stress in my life and this course is a great antidote as it makes me think about something else.
My aim is to always speak Welsh when I’m out and about wherever there is an opportunity.

7 Likes

I moved to North Wales eleven years ago. I love to live in this country and I want to learn to communicate with Welsh speaking friends and neighbours in Welsh.

6 Likes

Dw i’n moyn siarad Cymraeg achos dw i’n byw yng Nghymru a dw i’n teimlo bod hi’n pwysig. Bydda i’n fwy hyderus os galla i siarad Cymraeg gyda ffrindiau.

7 Likes

I have lived in Wales for over 45 years. I have spent hundreds of hours at classes. I have passed a GCSE in Welsh second language but I still don’t have the confidence to say more than a few basic sentences and phrases. I feel mean that my Welsh speaking friends politely switch to English when they are chatting in a group with me. I always say carry on in Welsh. I want to join in! I want to understand what is going on!

7 Likes