Hinterland

We have watched all seasons of Hinterland and now I see another season has just started. My question is this. My spies tell me that a previous season or seasons were recorded twice - once and Welsh and once in English. So where’s the Welsh version? Did it go out on TV? Is it available as a box set…can’t find the dang thing anywhere… so I probably dreamed it.:confused:

2 Likes

I’ve been looking for the same. I found the previous series in Welsh on DVD on Amazon (Hinterland - Y Gwyll is the English, Y Gwyll - Hinterland is the Welsh). As for the Welsh version of the series currently being shown, no idea (but I’d like to know).

Hwyl

Kim

I think it was on S4C. Not sure if you can still get it on the catch up service or buy it online. Someone will know.

It’s definitely not on the S4C website anymore :disappointed:

1 Like

Unfortunately, S4C programmes are usually only available on ‘catch up’ for 35 days after their first transmission.

2 Likes

Series 3 (in Welsh) was shown on S4C before Christmas, so is long gone. Last year, the Series 2 DVD (in Welsh) wasn’t available until after it had been shown on the BBC (in English).

Amazon UK suggests the Series 3 DVD (in Welsh) will be available from 22 May.

2 Likes

I’ve got the DVD’s for both series 1 and 2 in Welsh, with average English subtitles. I found one of these on ebay and one at Siop Cwlwm but it’s easier to find the English version than the Welsh, the two I found took some digging for.
I’d love to find other series from S4C on DVD but otherwise maybe a Welsh version of Dave for repeats, (yes I know Dafydd)

4 Likes

If fact just found both here

2 Likes

@Richmountart Thank you so much for that! I bought the first series in Welsh from Arrow Films a while back, but they don’t have the second one, and I haven’t had any luck finding it anywhere else. Looks like Siop Cwlwm will ship to the US :slight_smile:

1 Like

The sad thing is that, even when you find the Welsh version of the DVD, it won’t (I think) have any Welsh subtitles on it, which seems crazy seeing as someone went to the trouble of producing them for the S4C broadcast/Clic watch-on-demand. How much extra would it have cost to add them to the DVD? Technically, pennies, I’m sure. However, there may have been a licensing cost, which might have been more than pennies. Whatever the reason is, it’s a great shame for learners (and seems to me like a lack of imagination on someone’s part).

2 Likes

Never mind learners, what about Mother tongue Welsh speakers who are deaf or hard of hearing? Isn’t it against the Welsh Language Act? Has anyone reported it to the Welsh Language Commissioner? @siaronjames do you know whether S4C have any responsibility for the DVDs? If not, whoever does should be reported to the Commissioner.

3 Likes

It’s usually the production companies who produce DVDs, not S4C. The subtitles for broadcast are done by S4C, but are added after the completed programmes are supplied to S4C by the production companies, so of course the material the production companies put on DVD are their pre-broadcast tapes and so don’t contain subtitles.
It would actually cost the production companies quite a lot to add subtitles themselves - on top of the technology to put them in it would mean extra facilities cost (i.e. edit suite time) and staffing, and I’m afraid in most instances the money, time and manpower just aren’t available.

3 Likes

Thanks! And the Act currently only applies to Official bodies, which wouldn’t include DVD makers or sellers! One day it would be lovely to see Cymraeg available at least to the same degree as English. I suppose it is unreasonable to expect the native tongue of your people to be more available than others?

2 Likes

What niggles me is that certain broadcasters at the moment have no qualms about showing lots of different fully subtitled Scandi dramas yet don’t seem too keen on showing more fully subtitled Welsh ones :angry:

6 Likes

Oh that niggles me as well! (even thought I’m a big fan of Scandi drama as well).

But back to Welsh material DVDs…um, couldn’t S4C give, or at least sell, to the DVD production companies, (for not much more than what it cost to produce), the subtitles? At the end of the day, it’s just a bunch of text, and I can’t believe it would cost hours of labour to edit in.

I’ve seen subtitle files (at least in some formats) and they have time data built in, so there isn’t any actual editing really to be done. (OK, I don’t know exactly what’s involved in creating a commercial DVD, but I simply don’t believe that, technically, this should be such a big deal.

Given that this is (let’s be honest) such a niche market) can’t a bit of commonsense and goodwill take precedence over commercial interests?

1 Like

I meant that to create the subtitles from scratch would be too prohibitive for the production companies - of course, if it was a matter of being given completed ones by S4C that would certainly help, but (and I haven’t had to deal with this personally) I’m not sure why that doesn’t seem to happen.

2 Likes

Diolch for that. Just bought them both after the lady in my local shop for Welsh stuff told me that it’s really difficult to get hold of Season 1.

Argghhhh judging by the refund email I just received from Siop Cwlwm, season 1 of Y Gwyll wasn’t in stock. Does anyone know where I can get this? Or, failing this, would there be anyone willing to lend it to me please? (Obviously I’ll pay postage)

Diolch pawb

Kim

If you can’t find it I’d be happy to lend you my copy

2 Likes

That would be absolutely awesome! Diolch yn fawr iawn. I’ll keep looking but no good so far. Will let you know how I get on.

Diolch

Kim

2 Likes