Forum bug reports

Is there somewhere to post them?

I can artificially raise the view count on a thread by clicking on the thread title in the left again and again and again and again…

Good call (and good spot) - maybe on the Trello board? Or your Google doc?

Is that actually a bug? By clicking it many times you’re ‘viewing’ it many times. What should the behaviour be in your opinion?

Hi Ifan, I’ve noticed that when I click on the Bootcamp* button, the text appears, but the videos do not, although the page leaves spaces where the videos ought to be. I’m on a PC, Google Chrome Version 34.0.1847.131. Diolch!

@Kinetic - Is that actually a bug? By clicking it many times you’re ‘viewing’ it many times. What should the behaviour be in your opinion?

If that’s how it’s been designed to work then I guess it’s not a bug… :slight_smile:

But from a behaviour point of view I’d expect it to be more along the lines of unique views i.e. ignoring people who come back to look at the same thread several times. Obviously it’s not as clear cut as that e.g. does viewing replies add to the view count or not? But if you want to measure the popularity of a post based on the view count at the moment you have somewhat hazy data.

DavidHT: the text appears, but the videos do not, although the page leaves spaces where the videos ought to be

Hi David,

That is your browser protecting you from “insecure content”. To see the videos, click on the little shield that appears in the top left hand corner of your browser, near the address box, and select the option to allow such content.

Hwyl,

Stu

Diolch Stu, I will have a look at that tonight when I’m back home, and not listening to solicitors droning on at work.

Is that actually a bug? By clicking it many times you’re ‘viewing’ it many times. What should the behaviour be in your opinion?

Ideally I’d say one view per person - so views = how many people have seen it. Low priority, though…:wink:

Aran: Low priority, though…:wink:

I agree. It seems simple but it’s a lot of housekeeping to implement. You need to track everyone who’s viewed every thread.

Craig F: You need to track everyone who’s viewed every thread.

Hmm, actually we already do that, in order to keep track of whether people have read threads. It wouldn’t be too much trouble to count the number of entries in that table for a given thread, which would give an accurate value of how many individual users had viewed it.

I could also make it count repeat views by the same person only when there are new replies for them to read, I guess. (Kev, if you’re around, what do you think of this - only increment the views count when creating or updating a PersonTopicStatus? So put that inside the ‘if message_id > status.message_id’ in update_read_status!.)

This’ll definitely have to be one for after we’ve got the efficient problems sorted though, as the last thing we need at the moment is more database queries :wink:

Move the counter increment out of the TopicController::load_messages and into Topic::unread_read_status?

Sounds sane - I’ve not tested it (will do so another time, have to run), but I think commit be830a2e7aa0df3365044a1e29a7e69bfb700a76 does the job and actually saves a write in a lot of cases (re-reads of existing topics).

That’s for the stupid ‘just count initial views’ option, not the ‘count views once for every new post’ - I think this is preferable, really.

Stu: That is your browser protecting you from “insecure content”. To see the videos, click on the little shield that appears in the top left hand corner of your browser, near the address box, and select the option to allow such content.

Helo Stu, I tried this and it worked. Diolch yn fawr.

Hmm, actually we already do that, in order to keep track of whether people have read threads.

(puts on dunce cap then goes and sits in the corner) :wink:

Craig - not at all! That was me having a lightbulb moment and realising that I could exploit the read status thing to accomplish the goal of showing unique person views. It was in no way any kind of criticism of what you said - thanks for giving me the idea :slight_smile:

@Kinetic: LOL, no offense taken at all. I had the same realization about 3.2 ms after it was too late to edit my post.

Not sure if I’ve found a bug, or if this a browser problem?

I clicked on my own name in a post, DavidHT, which took me to my profile. Not a lot to see. I clicked my browser’s go back button, and got a screen full of

*app.message_interface.updateFixedPanel();
$(’#right_panel_update’)
.html("<div id=\“thread_430552dd3a3609f4\” class=\“thread \”
data-hook=\“thread\” data-slug=\“430552dd3a3609f4\”>

\

\ Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 09/05/14 <\\/span>\
<\\/div>\ <\\/div>\ \
\ \
\ *

…type stuff. It doesn’t seem to do it every time, but mostly. I’m on a PC, Google Chrome.

I am getting that too. If I click on a link in a post which takes me to another website and then press my back page button to get back to SSIW, I get a page full of code titled app.message interface. It happens every time on my android phone but not on my laptop using IE.

I’m having the same problem (using my Android phone). I get a full page of code when I close my phone and then reopen the browser, but everything fixes when I press the back button.

Suspected Bug Report

I’m occasionally getting a situation where if I click my browser “back” button, I’m presented with a window containing what looks like a lot of code …

Starts off like:

app.message_interface.updateFixedPanel();

$('#right_panel_update')
	.html("<div id=\\"thread_da813447069a6333\\" class=\\"thread \\"\
 data-hook=\\"thread\\" data-slug=\\"da813447069a6333\\">\

\

\ Saith Seren, Wrecsam

Seems to happen randomly, although there may be a pattern I haven’t spotted yet.

I’m using the latest / current Chrome, on a Windows XP laptop.

Yep i get the same thing happening (windows 7, chrome), just click the back arrow a couple more times and hey presto i’m back here.

Cheers J.P.