Dydd Gŵyl Dewi

Maybe you could rephrase it to get past the censor?

The Welsh village of Capel Celyn was drowned to provide Liverpool with what?..:wink:

2 Likes

Surely the answer isn’t “water to sell for profit”? I’ve managed to sneak my Nye Bevan question through😜

3 Likes

Your fifth columnist work is greatly admired at SSi Towers.

3 Likes

Keeps me amused …

1 Like

What was that one? And could you maybe mention the village that managed to avoid being drowned to provide water to someplace else in England? I heard about it, but I’ve forgotten all details and am not sure how to word Google search to find it, but for next year, if we can find it, it would be a great lead-in to mention of Capel Celyn, for which, apparently, Liverpool apologised in 2005!!!
Or, how about, next year, asking, “To whom and for what did the city of Liverpool apologise in 2005?”

1 Like

Good one! Or, what is the chemical formula of the substance that covers Capel Celyn or who was Holly Chapel and why was she drowned? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I am not sure how many of you will be doing anything to mark Gwyl Dewi except cwtching up somewhere warm while the snow falls outside and all traffic is missing from all streets. Even here in mid Argyll, outside the RedWarning zones, we actually have quite a lot of snow falling.
But, even if you are snowed in - I do hope you have a lovely day. If you can get out and want to play in the snow - take care and have fun!

2 Likes

My mum (native speaker from Anglesey) says Hwyl Fawr a Dydd Dewi Sant

3 Likes

Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapis, pawb (Happy St Davids’ Day All)
I’m in Avonmouth today, just over the border. Opposite a building in St Andrews Road which has a St Georges flag on it ?? :blush:

1 Like

Ny wonn vy Kembrek, mes yn Kernewek my a yll leverel (I don’t know Welsh, but in Cornish I can say)… Dydh Goel Davydh Lowen, pub huni! :grinning:

I love this from Catrin last year — in Kernewek we would say: Bedhewgh lowen ha grewgh an taklow byghan :slight_smile:

(And if anyone is making Welsh cakes, please send me some :wink: :wink: )

2 Likes

Apparently Google has a doodle today (though not on this side of the pond) celebrating Dydd Gŵyl Dewi:

2 Likes

Dydd Gwyl Dewi hapus to you all, wherever you’re and whatever you are doing! Here’s a picture of me as a child, dressed up for the occasion!

How are you celebrating? We were meant to attend an evenign of cawl a chan at the children’s school this evening with Gwibdaith Hen Franm and Phil Gas a’r Band. But because of the severe weather warnings, everything is postponed or cancelled. So we’re indoors, having battened down the hatches, stocked up on food and coal and seeing what this evening brings. It’s blowing a terrible gale here and the temperatures have plummeted. We already have about a couple of inches of snow which fell on Tuesday and Wednesday and are expecting more tonight.

But I do have a lovely vase of daffodils on the window sill and we had Welsh beef meatballs for dinner.

I hope everyone is safe and well. Iechyd da to you all!

5 Likes

Wearing suitable adornment! Cwtched in the warm with little poodle dog!

1 Like

Us too! Although Oxfordshire is in the middle of everywhere, we are in the middle of nowhere! Sideways snow and schools closed! Frozen pipes! Disgruntled ponies!
We have wished each other a Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus, and we are definitely going to roast something for dinner, but no daffs - I ate some as an experiment once - never been fond of them since…

Love this - makes you feel like the little things matter too. Thanks Dewi! :blush:

My granddaughter rejected T’cu’s special Dewi Sant cawl which happens to be the best ever; our daffs haven’t blossomed again this year and it’s ****** freezing outside. Gwyl Dewi Sant - “Pah! Humbug!” :laughing:

BBC national radio seems to be giving Wales more exposure than usual lately:

Ellis James introduces 3 Welsh comedians talking about Wales and Welshness (in English):

I heard about the 1st half live, and the intro suggested it was being broadcast in honour of Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant, although the description on the website doesn’t actually say that.

Also:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/C2jRCn2zlNzRmxRwbZmCTH/10-welsh-words-that-will-warm-up-your-st-david-s-day?intc_type=promo&intc_location=news&intc_campaign=welshwords&intc_linkname=radio4_fac_article

My dafs are nowhere near out, but I brought… well no, Janet went up the garden and brought a bud in for me on Monday! It has come out lovely heddiw!

1 Like

To all the Welsh on the Forum,
Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus!

1 Like