Dydd Gŵyl Dewi

I did this when @AnnaC did her Welsh cakes last year (it’s her pice of a cake on the pic (sorry, I’ve “stolen” it)). Now that naughty smiley comes for yours @Novem. HAHA!

4 Likes

The school I work in (in Cardiff) had an eisteddfod this morning, welsh cakes at break time and a bardic ceremony this afternoon where the winning poet in year 6 was revealed. I got to wear my rugby shirt to work, but it was freezing, so I need to invest in a Welsh hoodie! Made Glamorgan Sausages for dinner.

As someone who has only recently moved to Wales, I must admit that the concept of such a show of national pride is a little alien to me. I can’t imagine the school singing God Save The Queen on St Georges day!

3 Likes

I can imagine Welsh Anthem is the most sang of the anthemes of the World … Even I (somehow) sang it when I visited Postojna Cave (in Slovenia) … and as I was not quite satisfied with my “performance” I made little silly promise I’d sing it again. Slightly off topic but you can read all about it here.

2 Likes

Oh @tatjana if only.

Our country is small. We don’t have an international stage…yet :wink:

1 Like

Not as small as our … You can travel across all Slovenia in about 2,5 or 3 hours seing all - mountains, valleys, rivers, lakes, the sea (as little as we have it) little cities and villages … but you can also travel several days from one place to another if the company is right and you go the “right” path … many wineyards and wine cellers on the way … :slight_smile:

Oh, and @CatrinLliarJones I was surprised the expressions for leek and daffodils have the same root word - cennin.

2 Likes

International Eisteddfod Llangollen! Known, surely all over the world. Pavarotti came as young man and then again when famous! I know groups have come from Belarus, most USA states…etc etc…
And we are still here! Despite everything and everyone! (diolch Dafydd Iwan)

1 Like

The daffodil/leek things probably isn’t coincidence, it’s probably why we have daffs as the symbol as well as leeks - some confusion of translation somewhere down the centuries in one direction or another!

I celebrated with cawl a chân in Tŷ Tawe with their ffab choir and in company with @Deborah-SSi where I won a raffle prize, a lovely snazzy knitted scarf by one of the merched.

Also discovered I’ve won something in the annual Sgiliaith competition for promoting Welsh in the work-based-learning sector which is some consolation for having spent the whole year screaming things like, “Why in the name of Dewi Sant can I download the English language exam papers from the website but need to email and ask specially for the Welsh language ones!” and “Why have they translated this as ‘gweld perfformiad’ in the question paper and written ‘gwella perfformiad’ on the marking sheet, er mwyn Duw!”

Pethau bychain, my eye! :wink:

Hope everyone had a fab day!

5 Likes

ahh but we have a unit of measurement, everything has some relationship to the “size of Wales”

So my proposal is, inline with this guardian article, to formalise such units of measurements
SW = the size of Wales, so obviously Wales = 1sw
a centisizewales is 80 square miles so London = 7.5 csw
and Wales Island in Canada would = 14 csw
obviously there would also have to be a millisizewales (msw) and a kilosizewales (ksw)

Then of course we need to find out whats the thing that needs measuring is appropriate for the Cymru (C, centicymru, - cc; millicymru, - mc; kilocymru - kc etc)…

could also be the gog, centigog, milligog etc, the possibilities are endless!

5 Likes

Slovenia would measure 0,01 sw then - hehe :slight_smile: I like this one … Slovenia bach - 0,01 SW gyda 1 person sy’n siarad Cymraeg. :slight_smile:

I have slovenia at 0.97 sw :wink:

It was good to catch up with you @leiafee and a wonderful relief to find I was actually still in Wales. After sitting in a hospital waiting room for a couple of hours with English radio babble in one ear, English TV babble in another, and walls covered in English signs and announcements with only the occasional bilingual one thrown in, I was really starting to wonder if I’d been transported to England.

So great to sit in Tŷ Tawe hearing Welsh conversation all around me and being able to speak Welsh for a couple of hours.

5 Likes

I had the great pleasure of singing in the DGDS concert in St David’s Hall last night. We sang a programme of music by Welsh composers (of course), a great deal of which was actually in Welsh, which was really lovely. It finished with a ‘singalong’ medley of a number of classics (like Calon Lân and Myfanwy), then, of course, the anthem. Standing in a full St David’s Hall with a complete symphony orchestra, with everyone on their feet belting out Hen Wlad fy Nhadau is an experience never to forget. Goose pimples!

The concert was live last night on Radio Cymru, so it’s probably on catchup if anyone wants to join in the singalong at home :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I always presumed we started with the ‘leeks in the hats’ thing to distinguish our fighters and when women wanted something to show they were Welsh, they picked cennin Pedr because they are pretty and had that name! I have actually worn a leek in my hat all round the red light district of Paris, because me and three other girls were celebrating that we’d beaten France and a stall holder gave me a leek, so I somehow stuck in through my knitted red and white hat!!
Oh, the red light district was where South Wales Transport thought it best to find hotels for their Rugby Trip!! (We girls innocently thought all French girls dressed ‘like that’! Honest!). Our attire made it very clear to everyone that we were NOT French prostitutes! Or, I hope, Welsh ones!!!) :grinning:
ps Thanks for all the lovely stories of your doings on Dydd Gwyl Dewi!

3 Likes

That leek thing is just a story, Isn’t it?
The daffodil is relatively recent (late 19th century and popularised by Lloyd George) and appears to have its origins in the similarity of the name and the perceived need for something more visually attractive than a vegetable.

2 Likes

As far as the story goes I wondered if it wasn’t always supposed to be daffodils and “pedr” got left out somewhere! A bright yellow flower seems a more plausible identifier than a whopping great vegetable and who finds army-loads of leeks growing at random on battlefields - daffs are everywhere though.

1 Like

Leeks grown all over Northern Europe for food, surely? Battles usually over farm land. Either case not yet proven! :wink:

I took a big tub of homemade Welsh cakes into work, they didn’t last long!

There was also a pub in Manchester giving free pints to people called David, but unfortunately I didn’t qualify…

3 Likes

Is that the same shop that was known as the Welsh Shop in the 90’s?

Hopefully this link will show up. Our friend saying a word in Welsh on a government video (literally one word). He’s the one in the rugby shirt, looking terrified at about 40 seconds into the video.

1 Like

Got my usual ‘hanner Cymro’ gig at the local Swydd Gaer troll cave (sorry, church) on Sunday. As usual it includes how to say ‘Dydd Gŵyl Dewi hapus iawn’ in a West Riding accent followed by cacennau cri that I’ve yet to bake. New for this year is a Wales quiz. Mrs Shak has vetoed my favourite question - which Welsh village was drowned so that Liverpool could have water it didn’t need? Next year maybe, unless they can find a proper Welsh speaker😀

2 Likes