Dydd Gŵyl Dewi

Happy St Davids day to you all

7 Likes

This takes me to something I wanted to ask. How do we say “Happy St. David’s Day” in Welsh? More to the point, what is the accepted greeting phrase? Google Translate - which I try to use really sparingly - gave me “Dydd Hapus Gŵyl Dewi”. Would this be correct, or does the “Hapus” come at the end of the phrase?

4 Likes

Dydd Gwl Dewi Hapus is what I heard on the radio today

4 Likes

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Sant Hapus!

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus!

Dydd Gŵyl Ddewi Hapus!

All the above are acceptable. The second is the most popular. The third with the mutation isn’t used often and is one which tends to raise quite a few grammar based arguments.

Here are a few other useful bits of vocabulary…

Nawddsant - patron saint
Cenhinen Bedr - a Daffodil (single)
Cennin Pedr - Daffodils
Cenhinen - a leek (single)
Cennin - leeks
Dathlu - celebrate
Dathliad - celebration
Cenedlaethol - national
Y ddraig goch - the Welsh/red dragon
Balchder - pride

In one of his last ever sermons, Dewi Sant is believed to have said “Arglwyddi, frodyr a chwiorydd, byddwch lawen a chedwch eich ffydd a’ch cred, a gwnewch y pethau bychain a welsoch ac a glywsoch gennyf i”. This roughly translates as, “Lords, brothers and sisters, be joyful, keep your faith and belief, and do ye the little things you saw and heard from me.”

This phrase, “Gwnewch y pethau bychain.” has been used over the centuries in poetry, song and literature in Wales and continues to be very popular.

Today we should celebrate Dydd Gŵyl Dewi, by not only showing pride in our herriatage and our nation, but also by doing the little things which help others and which make our communities and world a better place.

How are you celebrating?

17 Likes

:wink:

3 Likes

Oh dear, I started a new thread and must have sort of overlapped with you because I didn’t get a message about your thread and I even checked for ‘Gwyl Dewi’ before I started. Clearly we don’t need both! @aran can you get rid of my ‘Gwyl Dewi’ thread.? I’ll copy my entry from it to this thread! Diolch!
Here it is:
Dydd Gwyl Dewi hapus i phawb!
Do, if you live in Wales, let me know what happens now. I believe it is a holiday now? Yes/No?
There was much controversy about it, because so much activity for the children depended on schools. My ‘Auntie’ and I went to the festivities at our local Primary when it had extended to cover 5 or 6 villages, our own school having been turned into an activity centre. The children took part in a sort of cross between an Eisteddfod and Cymanfa Ganu, but all in English in our part of Gower.
There was a lot of discussion about whether Gwyl Dewi should be an official Bank Holiday. In Yr Alban, I am reliably informed that a Bank Holiday is a holiday for Banks, only a Public Holiday affects anything else and now shops seem to open whenever they like!
So, whether you are in school watching your children performing or out on the hill, or in shops… have a very happy day! (Oh, if any of you dress up, or your children do, you could always post a picture in this thread!). All I do up here is pick a daffodil (Cenhinen Bedr) and put it in water in the house, since wearing it would be killing it for Dewi, which seems wrong! I wear a cloth and paper one!

Thanks for this!!! I will now edit the part above to make it clear that I neither picked nor wear multidudinous cennin Pedr, but just one Cenhinen Bedr!!
p.s. @CatrinLliarJones I try to be a bit helpful when I can, but I admit, to me today is all about my country, my nation, my land and where my heart will always be.It matters more now I am in exile. I didn’t need to wear Cenhinen Bedr at home!

2 Likes

Not a holiday (of any type) yet, unfortunately!
Here in Caernarfon there has been a parade and schools singing on the Maes, and in the Morrisons store there is a harpist playing and they are handing out free daffs - probably lots more I haven’t heard about yet too!

3 Likes

Oh, Diolch! That’s the sort of celebration I’d hoped would happen in future. It wouldn’t matter if the schools were on holiday if things like that were organised! I must say it is so long since the discussion of a Bank Holiday started that I thought it must be one by now!!!

2 Likes

Well the house and garden are full of Daffodils. The kids went to school dressed in red and Welsh themed clothing. I’ve been to Morrisons this morning and heard the Welsh harpist in the foyer and been handed free Daffodils! I’ve just been to the school’s St David’s day concert listening to the kids performing and practicing their pieces for the Urdd Cylch Eisteddfod on Saturday. We then have a Welsh lamb shoulder for dinner and Welsh cakes for ‘dessert’ (after Karate lessons). :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I went to watch my daughter recite a poem at the school Eisteddfod today . I had a chat with one of the Eisteddfod judges who replied with a rather stern “pam lie ?” when I refused her suggestion to take part in a learners event at the Ynys Mon Eisteddfod in the summer :grinning:. Had a nice panad and chat afterwards in the makeshift cafe in one of the classrooms and ate my own weight in Welsh Cakes and Bara Brith

4 Likes

And I am sure @aran would ask the same!!! :wink:
i phawb - it makes me feel much closer to home to read all about your doings and those of eich plant!

4 Likes

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus! I thoroughly appreciate all the useful expressions @CatrinLliarJones, - my mini-lesson for today! The sun has only just risen here in México, but I’m proudly wearing red and green and plan on spending the day ploughing through as much of Level 1 as I can. Hope you’re all having the best day possible! :slight_smile:

I really must learn how to make Welsh cakes…

4 Likes

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi hapus iawn i chi gyd! :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

And thank you all for being part of this wonderful community… :heart:

8 Likes

for cleaning out my unwanted topic!!!

3 Likes

I’m making Welsh cakes! I’ve never even tasted Welsh cakes before so I won’t know whether they taste like real Welsh cakes or not :smile: Hopefully will be close enough!

9 Likes

Welsh cakes, on the bake stone at the moment…

13 Likes

I have already admitted elsewhere to the sin of not liking Welsh cakes!

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi hapus i chi bawb!

7 Likes

@CatrinLliarJones Diolch for the vocab lesson! :slight_smile:

I made some for the first time last year…I’d never had them before, either, but they looked “authentic”, and they tasted great! I’m sure yours are delicious!

Now I really want to make heart-shaped ones!

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus to everyone, in Wales or, like me, @Novem, and @tatjana, not!

5 Likes

They are! :blush:

4 Likes