Does Welsh Have A Future...?

Thank you. However my moanings in my own topic aren’t much amazing but I’m doing my best to keep going. Just for a fun of it I’ve ordered a coffi in Cymraeg in a bar where I always go for a cup of coffe or a bottle of Malt and the waitress was all impressed however I realized later I put all the sentence slightly wrong. Unfortunatelly I don’t let myself to have the attitude like “Oh, whatever, no one will know anyway.” so I’ve got a bit frustrated upon that (but only when I already left the bar, not before). :slight_smile:

Oh, and I’ve got a coffi of course. Obviously coffi is universal word understood everywhere despite we say “kava” to it. :slight_smile:

I’m waiting for that moment on a bus to Bled which is always full of tourists mostly from UK. :slight_smile:

I’m glad you did. :slight_smile:

1 Like

it will happen too! I once was on holiday in Turkey and was wearing a CYMRY T shirt. I went in the pool for a swim and my wife told me a Welsh couple had seen me in that shirt and asked if I was a Cymro, I got a conversation anyway.

3 Likes

Da iawn ti! Must get one myself. Any excuse to try and speak! [big emphasis on “try”]

1 Like

Hmmm … I remembered quite opoite situation once on that bus. I was wearing WRU Grand Slam 2012 winning T-Shirt (Well, the sign (message) on it is a bit provocative though) and when I came somewhere to the middle of the bus two cupples angrily stood up. One cupple went to the front of the bus and sat right behind the driver and the second went off the bus probably waiting for another one to come. Both cupples were obviously way too frustrated with me comming on the bus dressed in this shirt, not to mention that my Welsh WRU dragon always monitors situation from the rucksack I’m wearing - hehe. :slight_smile:

But yes, that was not SSiW shirt and I can hope wearing it might bring me many more pleasant experiences and getting me some chance of a little practice of speaking Cymraeg aswell.

2 Likes

Please help clueless person who didn’t know there was one!! I presume it’s on-line! Where???

Help is comming your way …

For you and all the rest - HERE IT IS! http://www.zazzle.co.uk/SSiWelsh

Happy shopping. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Diolch yn fawr, ‘Tjana fach’!! (That’s what I’m sure I’d end up calling you after about two minutes!!) I am still wondering how I could have been ‘in’ SSiW so long without realising there even was a shopping site!! :laughing: I’ve bookmarked the site to look at later!! I’m sure I’ll find lots of stuff I fancy!! :sunny:

2 Likes

Diolch pawb.

When I love something and want to show off a bit what I love the first thing I ALWAYS DO is searching for a shop so with SSiW it was the same. I found they have a shop there already quite some time ago when we were still on the old site and forum but didn’t buy anything until recently. However SSiW is guilty I’ve opened my own Zazzle shop at the time. Diolch yn fawr iawn i chi!

And I love shopping in the shop. One pin badge surely will come into my posession in a short time yet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hu luv, hi yes it’s an interesting question does Welsh have a future I guess the more people that learn and eventually speak the language will add to it’s exposure else where maybe. I suppose the same question could be asked of my language of Maori. I have done lesson 14, and i’m noticing that I am just missing certain words of the sentences however, it will improve with time i’m sure. Watched the All blacks play Samoa last night I think Samoa could bring a wake up call to some teams in this years world cup if they play like they did last night. Well dioch there are things that i’m speaking that i’d like to be able to write down that will come too cheers.

2 Likes

Little by little @peterluke60 even if doing as I did once, writing a blog post whole 4 hours but at the end (despite quite some mistakes @faithless78 had kindly made me aware of) I was quite satisfied and proud about my writing but kind of afraid to put it in to view to the world at the time.

The main thing is to try (if you really wish to) and it will come in time. I started with small tweets about daily things or simple greetings in Cymraeg.

You do the superb work! Keep it going.

And … I like maori. It’s just shame I can’t learn more then one language at the time due to my (obvious) limited abilities. But one day, who knows …

Not to us they couldn’t. Talk about losing the element of surprise - they’ve been waking us up every few years for the last quarter of a century…:wink:

and that’s just been Western Samoa. I dread to think what the whole of Samoa can do to us :fearful:
My brother is taking (ie paying for) me to see Cymru-Fiji on 1st October. :smile: Dw i’n lwcus iawn 'nd yfe?

1 Like

Oh memories!!! I am dripping envy over Fiji!! I was there when Western Samoa showed us!!! I early-retired that year and treated myself to all our games, the semi-finals and final!! (Well, it was meant to be a treat!!) Well I recall getting the words of ‘Advance Australia Fair’ before joining the massed ranks of ‘Welsh/Scots/Irish etcAussies’!! We found most of the real Aussies didn’t know the words either, so we shared them!!

If you don’t mind my asking, is Maori your first language, or did you learn it as a second language, or did you grow up bilingual? Sorry but I have no idea of the linguistic situation over there.

Yes that’s alright I learnt Maori when I was in the Army I lived with a couple who spoke it my mates wife was a native speaker and taught me in much the same way as SSIW,is doing . That’s how I learn languages it was difficult but worthwhile and fun.

6 Likes

Counting on you to make sure we get the right result, Huw…

I am very excited at the coming of this years world rugby cup honestly I feel that there are several teams who could be there at the end. I am keen for Wales to do well they have some very good players. However,as I said there will be several teams including our Nevis the French.

1 Like