Daily fun with Google Translate

Also loving “A thief in our Plith!” They managed to miss the translation but in turn make it rhyme. Genius.

3 Likes

I also rather like the sound of “Hurricane! Hurricane! It’s Summer” :joy:

2 Likes

This morning I woke up, this came up in my mind and I started laughing again. :joy:

But assuming Cyw doesn’t aim to bring up a generation of serial killers, I’m wondering:what was the original word actual meaning?

p.s. Hurricane! It’s a sunny day!

1 Like

The original is Trychf ilod. Apparently trychfa is cutting. I’m not sure about ilod.

1 Like

Trychfilod is insects.

Ahhhhh there we are! For some reason it looks like 2 words hence Google going down the cutting route! :wink:

Would it make sense cut in 2 words as pun or sonething?
(Or maybe it’s just a typing mistake).

Not that I know of. I can’t see why they’d want to either, but hey, who knows.

Trychfilod – Hurrah! It’s not a coincidence, they’re ‘cut-beasts’ – because they come in sections (i.e. cutting as in ‘Caesarian section’). And no, that isn’t a pune or play on words – it’s literally the origin of ‘insect’, although it only dawned on me when I realised that the Greek (entomo, as in ‘entomology’) also meant ‘in slices’ (like an ‘atom’ originally being something that by definition was un-splittable).

And now the odds of me actually remembering the word have slightly increased. If only I could remember why it was theat I wanted to know the Welsh for ‘insect’ the other day…

5 Likes

I’ll definitely remember it now. Diolch Richard :slight_smile:

Go figure. Google translate mistakes can help remembering words.

And learning and paying more attention to other languages too. I didn’t know the origin of entomo in greek. Nor ever noticed before now that it’s the same in latin: in sect!

Thanks @RichardBuck

1 Like

And the song was just on Cyw!

1 Like

Yes, that has been my experience also.

As a learner, I’ve found Google translate can be helpful and confusing. I typically use Google to help with specific words that can have multiple meanings depending on context. For example, this morning, I wanted to type “Welsh for me” in Cymraeg. My first thought was “Cymraeg am fi.” On second thought it could be “Cymraeg i fi.” Plunked my sentence into Google translate for verification and this was the translation.

Interestingly, when I capitalized Cymraeg, Google corrected the error.

I’d say, “Bloody English!” Except I’m American and Google is operated from America. What the hell, Google? You’ve got some 'splaining to do. :smile:

3 Likes

It’s a conspiracy! :rofl:

edit:

3 Likes

“Bloody Yanks!”

4 Likes

I believe their algorithm involves looking at thousands of instances of Welsh text and then trying to use context to get the best translation. One of the many problems is that many instances of Welsh text are, of course, literary Welsh, so you do end up with some unusual translations combining colloquial, literary and non Welsh.

2 Likes

In terms of documents that are available in both Welsh and English, suitable to be thrown at the algorithms, the overwhelming majority will be official government or quasi-governmental documents since these are the only institutions that will be obliged to operate bilingually and that will produce literature in the required quantity. Aside from quoted text, the bias will lean heavily towards the formal register.

1 Like

Oh ie; ac hoffi canu’r bodhran. Yup. That dead goat-skin can be made to sing… The magic of Welsh!

3 Likes

Well, just watching Dechrau Canu Dechrau Canmol. I thought they were singing Jesus is Lord but google translate has other ideas.

So, first I typed Jesu yw’r lor: Google said, Jesu is a lorry! :joy:
Next with my Welsh keybord: Google said, Jesu is the voice! :joy: (may well be true) All the Welsh keyboard did differently was add a roof to the o, making lôr

Then I tried typing in ‘Lord’ Google said, Arglwydd which I suspect is correct. How funny. :joy:

4 Likes