Clecs launches today!

I’m on clecs as @kaizo, feel free to add me, I probably won’t have much to post for a while but I’ve ‘followed’ everyone on this thread and am having fun reading everyone’s posts on there. Google translate is pretty much my best friend right now :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for letting us know about this, we’ll take a look. We are hoping to eventually provide our own keyboard within the apps with better support for the welsh language!

5 Likes

Clecs, os oes unrhyw ffordd fedran ni helpu, dim ond rhoi gwybod bydd isio… :sunny:

2 Likes

Owainlurch - We have made some changes to the website to address these issues. Now by default, the bottom bar brings up the image and link box. This is the default on the iPhone and Android app and gives some consistency as well as fixing those bugs we hope! Let us know.

We have also increased the size of the comment box for replying to comments. I would point out to anyone using the web interface that if you click at the little arrow on the top right of the post, and chose “Gweld y postiad cyfan” you can see the post in its entirety (see all the comments, smiles, who has smiled etc).

4 Likes

Oh, that’s fixed the “problem” on my iPad perfectly! Thanks very much!

3 Likes

Helo pawb! I have registered on Clecs as @SandraM. I think I have now followed everyone on the thread, feel free to add me (and thanks to those who already have). My first post is on there (complete with typo!). I’m totally unused to social media, but Clecs should be great to help with written Welsh. I’m not sure I will be posting that much at first, but it’s really interesting to browse through the comments!

5 Likes

If you’re an Android user, I’d recommend the SwiftKey keyboard. It’s available in English and Cymraeg, and has been working great on Clecs, for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for this. :smiley:

I’ve tried SwiftKey in the past and not really got on with it.

Currently I’m using the Clecs mobile site to work around the keyboard issue - It’s very odd, they’re obviously using a non-standard text field since it’s the only time I’ve seen this issue. The predictive text goes really wonky, sometimes making non-sensical suggestions, sometimes not showing and sometimes getting stuck on a whole list of suggestions starting with an apostrophe. And the the shift key goes all sticky - effectively turning into a capslock.

3 Likes

That’s why I don’t like the predictive text at all.

1 Like

Wedi ymuno! / Have joined!

Bryndaf on there

Some registration e-mails are either going into peoples spam folders…or as on g-mail, the registration confirmation went into my “social” folder on there

pob lwc!

2 Likes

I’ve started using the website on my Android phone too. I just couldn’t post any responses using Literatim in the App and it was too frustrating using an English keyboard. It let me post, but to have to keep going back and forth to get the apostrophe was a pain. I don’t get any predictive suggestions at all if I try and use Literatim with Clecs - it’s permanently stuck on the line that start with the apostrophe.

I’m really hoping it will be nicely integrated with Literatim soon. I’ve met lots of people that use Literatim and it’s a great Welsh keyboard. Clecs is a lot of fun and this would make it even better.

4 Likes

Mine too! Quick work, diolch.

Another vote for standard text fields so LiteratIM works!

installing on my phone. can['t wait to try even tho I know i’ll be hopeless (atleast to start)

Diolch!

John

Just to say that Clecs is a marvellous site, and really, really welcoming to learners. I’ve seen nothing but positive comments and loads of encouragement towards learners on the site.

It’s a really good place for reading and writing Welsh in small doses, and remember that no one has to read your messages, so no one is going to be put out by them!

Don’t worry if you don’t understand stuff, (that happens when you speak to people!), just move on to stuff you do. Don’t worry if you make mistakes, no one will care!

There are several people from SSiW on there already, of varying degrees of fluency in Welsh, and we have, as far as I can see, been made very welcome indeed on Clecs!

Come on in, the water’s lovely!

Oh, and remember it is like Twitter- the more people you follow, the more you will get out of it! Follow as many as you can for the best results :wink:

8 Likes

Yes, so far it’s far friendlier than Facebook!

2 Likes

My experience:
I don’t feel like learner there despite I can’t really understand half of things written. I feel like Cymress chatting with other people also speaking Cymraeg. As a matter in fact I feel like at home having many SSiW-ers following and they’re following me.

Thank you to all who are following me. I’m really, really greateful for that.

And yes, you definatelly will feel welcomed on Clecs. I certainly do.

A little secret of help: if you’re on PC or laptop, you can always have Google Translate (or any other translating site for that matter) opened in other window and help yourself with it. it’s a bit awkward translation many times but if you can understand the context not caring too much about how word structures are really put down and together, you’ll do just fine.

So, go ahead and join us. it’s fun and it’s like comming home when you come on there. :slight_smile:

@Clecs as I know you read this topic, I had an android issue though. The app crashed many times mostly when I wanted to upload a photo and I all of a sudden lost the connection (the Wi-fi connection was really aweful where I was on vacations last week). I tried to make some screenshots of a situation though but was too slow to do that as app closed quite quickly after showing an error. If I somehow manage to repeat the situation I’ll let you know or even post some screenshots on here (hopefully) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree with Tatjana, it’s a really welcoming place and great fun! I feel is is certainly helping my Welsh, and it’s great that there are so many fellow learners on there.

4 Likes

Joined so hopefully the extra exposure will be good for learning. Hopefully soon you may see @ReesDavies (me) post some dodgy lesson 4 sentences :slight_smile: haha

5 Likes

Loving the Clecs app but there are a few problems on my iPhone.
I am not able to access the last 100 posts easily. I have to find the Clec’s post that gives the link to the last 100 posts. Once there I can only read what is there but unable to interact at all. If I try to go to a post or a link to the post I get a message ( null) mynd yn ôl or it crashes completely.
I also get this message when clicking onto a link on my Clecs feed.
Is it possible to make the ‘last 100 posts’ more accessible and make links more accessible for the iPhone?

Nonetheless I enjoy Clecs very much, it’s friendly and informative and gives me the chance to improve my written Welsh!

1 Like