Bŵtcamp June 2023 - 5th to 12th - Lampeter

@nia.llywelyn oes Scrabl Cymraeg gyda ni’n barod yn Garth Newydd?

I know we have a few games there - the Owain Glyndŵr one for example - and I think we have Scrabble already, but Nia knows more than me :slight_smile:

Dictionaries … well, they are strongly discouraged. The aim is immersion in Welsh, and if you don’t know a word then you can find a way to describe what you’re talking about, or mime it, or draw a picture of it, anyway of conveying it without resorting to English. It’s the skill you need in a real life conversation. You can’t keep holding up a conversation while you search for a word in a dictionary, so this week gives you practice at developing other skills to get around it.

I’ll talk more about this at the beginning of Bŵtcamp when we have an ‘Orientation’ session in English and you can ask any questions then. Once that’s done, we go into Welsh and it’s Welsh Only for the week. You will find abilities to communicate you didn’t know you had!

2 Likes

You’re very close - you just need the ‘to bach’ to get the pronunciation - siarâds :joy:

2 Likes

Shwmae pawb, I’m looking forward to joining you all from the 5th. I live locally to Lampeter, and am Welsh by birth, but only really started learning last August through SSiW, and been following the recordings each week since. I’ll be a big jump into the deep end and no idea how competently I can swim, but will soon find out. gweld chi cyn hir, Chris

2 Likes

Dw i’n meddwl bod gêm scrabl Cymraeg yna, dw i’n trio cofio!

Bring yours as well @chris-mitchell, we could have two games going on at the same time :tada:

2 Likes

We’ll have to rename SSiW to “spell something in Welsh” for the week :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Deborah, only discovered these three vocab units today and quite a lot of the material is new to me although I have covered 40 weeks of the current SSiW course. So lots of listening/ assimilating in the next 9 days or so. Wela ti yna

1 Like

Shwmae pawb. I’m Ceri, and I’m a fellow bootcamper. I currently live in Cardiff and though my mum grew up speaking welsh I was in that generation where people didn’t think it was worth bringing kids up with the language. But I’m now trying to conplete a long held desire to right that. I’ve done the SSiW southern course, a class with Dosbarth Cymru and lots of Duolingo. I also get to read Brig Ddyn every single night to my son, Berwyn, who is currently obsessed with the book.
See you all soon
Ceri

1 Like

Brig ddyn sounds like fun!

Beth yw oed Berwyn? How old is Berwyn @ceri-hughes?

1 Like

Mae Berwyn yn bron dau - bydd ef dau 13 mis mehefin. Mae Brig Ddyn yn stori weithiau trist y fod yn onest - ond mae gorffen yn hapus.

1 Like

i can understand not holding up a conversation while speaking to look up a word… and learning to flex those conversational muscles by thinking about descriptors for the word you seek…

what about when you have learned a new word and want to understand more about its etymology and how it can be used in different contexts?

hiya ceri :wave::slightly_smiling_face:

syllafu rhywbeth yn y gymraeg?:thinking::laughing:

1 Like

That’s something to keep for after bŵtcamp :slight_smile:

o, na! ti’n difrifol! dim geiriadurion! ond, ond, ond!:eyes: :open_mouth::woozy_face:

:no_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::grin::joy:

1 Like

@yr1arall It’s a good idea to bring a notebook, and as a reply to using new words in different contexts…hopefully we’ll get enough time to discuss things like this.

It’s a good thing we’re doing everything in Welsh or sign language because I don’t know what etymology means :joy:
The good thing about Bŵtcamp is that you’ll be using the words you actually need to hold real conversations…and hopefully you’ll come accross some new and handy phrases too

1 Like

llyfr nôt, ie.

:+1:

1 Like

Llyfr nodiadau @yr1arall .
nôd ( a mark) nodi ( to note) nodyn ( a note) dynodi ( to denote) dynodwr dalen ( book mark)

2 Likes

mae nôt hwn yw angenrheidiol i nodi bod fy nodyn i gofio fy llyfr nodi roedd anghywir, oes?

When agreeing with people in Welsh you say
‘ondiwe / yndywe or feminine ‘ondyw hi / yndywhi - isn’t it (yntydi in the North)

We probably will be going over lots of interesting phrases like this during the week @yr1arall

1 Like