Bŵtcamp June 2023 - 5th to 12th - Lampeter

Same here

I’ve asked Catrin to look into it and I’ll let you know when I hear from her.

This was the reply from Catrin:

All you need to do is to click on “view invoice”, and then click on download so you can view it independently from Xero. You will then be in a position to proceed with your bacs transfer - details of our bank account are on the invoice - Account name, SaySomethinging.com Ltd.

1 Like

Yes, I’d assumed from the original email that we had to pay through the Xero gateway, but it seems a bank transfer is fine. Mine went through OK.

1 Like

Hi all, thought I’d better introduce myself as this is fast approaching!
I’m Charlie, I live in Leicester (originally from Yorkshire), but I’m half Welsh. My taid did speak the language but unfortunately my father doesn’t so I learnt mostly through SSIW.
I’ve completed the southern course, but definitely need a refresher before I go to bwtcamp!
Looking forward to the challenge and hoping I can use it to push myself on a bit.
See you there soon!

Charlie

3 Likes

I’m Chris, and also live in Leicester (I know @charlie-o as we are part of a small Leicester group who meet to practise our Welsh in a local pub). My maternal grandmother was Welsh but not Welsh speaking, but died when I was five - but I did live in Newport Gwent for a year for work experience in 1980/1 and did Welsh evening classes when I was there. I’d never moved beyond basic conversations but have been doing SSiW and Duolingo for 9 months, and am looking forward to immersing myself in Welsh and meeting everyone!

3 Likes

helo pawb! abheda ydw i. say it using alphabet cymraeg✅

i live near lampeter & am delighted to join an immersion course😃

my teacher is in blaenau ffestiniog, where i studied cymraeg gog, through mynediad and into sylfaen before leaving the area. since then i’ve done a bit of this, a bit of that, some classes here & there, without sticking to it to completion.

i speak tolerable present tense welsh and understand slower spoken welsh. my reading level is ‘parsnips and owls’ level, by stephen owen rule.

dw i’n edrych ymlaen i gyfarfod chi i gael sgwrs yn y gymraeg!

oh, are dictionaries allowed?:eyes::thinking::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

hello nicola, chris and charlie! :wave: that’s 4 of us & presumably 5 to go :slightly_smiling_face:

abheda

1 Like

I certainly hope dictionaries are allowed! :grinning:

gobeithio hefyd!

Unless things have changed since bootcamps started up again, the old rule was NO dictionaries! I believe miming became very popular in their absence :wink: … but I’m sure @Deborah-SSi or @nia.llywelyn will clarify :slight_smile:

Hi,

I’m Lisa and I’m coming bwtcamp too. I live in Bangor and have no idea what the Welsh for parsnip or owl is! I’m trying to decide whether to practise my Welsh this week or my acting/charades skills. I’m looking forward to a week of immersion very much. There is a lot of WEnglish spoken up here in my workplace, so I’m hoping that English is allowed…

1 Like

What is the Welsh for charades??

Welsh for charades? "Siarad"s, surely? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

I’m hopefully getting delivery of a “Scrabble yn Gymraeg” tomorrow, which I’ll bring with me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:man_facepalming: :rofl: :rofl:

hiya lisa :wave:
pannas for parsnips and tylluan for owl, says the online geiriadur. i didn’t know them either. (along with most foods, animals and plants!) but these, together, in english, are the title of a wonderful learner’s book of microstories in cymraeg with additional footnotes, like this:

1. DW’ISIO’R GÊM ‘MA
    Mae Mabon ac Owen mewn siop.
    Mabon: Dadi! Dw i angen gêm fideo newydd! Owen: Ti ddim angen gêm fideo newydd.
    Mabon: Plîs! Mae ‘na gitarwyr¹ robotig² yn y gêm ‘ma!
    Owen: Mabon, ti ddim angen y gêm ‘ma. Ti isio’r gêm ‘ma.
    Mabon: Iawn! Dw i isio’r gêm ‘ma. Be’ rŵan? Owen: Na, mae gen ti ddigon o gemau eraill³ yn y tŷ!
    Mabon: Iawn… awn ni⁴ ‘nôl⁵ adre?
    Owen: Na awn⁴, awn ni⁴ i dŷ Alun.
    Mabon: Ond dw i methu⁶ chwarae gemau fideo yn nhŷ Alun!
    Owen: Mae’i deledu’n fawr, ac dw i angen gwylio’r gêm bêl-droed.
    Mabon: Dadi, chi ddim angen gwylio’r gêm bêl-droed. Chi isio gwylio’r gêm bêl-droed.

1 Gitarwyr isn’t the toughest to decipher, guitarists. What’s cool here is the ending. Adding -wr (from gŵr = man, husband) equates to adding -er in English; dysgwr = [male] learner. Adding -wraig (from gwraig = woman, wife) equates to adding -ess in English; dysgwraig = [female] learner. Finally, adding -wyr (from gwŷr = men, husbands) equates to adding -ers in English; dysgwyr = learners. Naturally, some exceptions exist.
2 Robotig is exactly what you think it is; robotic. There are a number of English words ending in -ic that transfer pretty seamlessly into Welsh by employing -ig instead; topic = topig, academic = academig, Catholic = Catholig, etc. Back in Story 8, we met arall (= (an)other, else). The fun, however, doesn’t stop there. Eraill is the plural version of arall and yields stuff like siop arall (= another shop) > siopau eraill (= other shops).

etc etc

we are, apparently, not to use saesneg at all. hm.

it’s going to be interesting!

1 Like

na, that’s the speaking word.

the miming word is apparently siarâd!

don’t you just love cymraeg? a single tô bach, and the emphasis changes from a foreign word that sounds like nothing you know (sha-rad) to a fancy way of saying sha-RAAD for charade!

ain’t cymraeg wonderful?! :smiley:

3 Likes

I was joking, but it’s an excellent point - it does make sense that charade would be siarâd, but to turn things full circle - apparently the word “charade” derives from the Provençal word “charrado” meaning “conversation” (pronounced “sharado”).

So conversation is pronounced “sharad” in Cymraeg and “sharado” in Provençal - but probably coincidence!

2 Likes

Actually, Chris isn’t far off!

charade: siarâd
charades: siaradau
:slight_smile:

2 Likes