AutoMagic Welsh is here!

Really like AutoMagic, having the text in English and Welsh really helps me. I find it especially useful to be able to see the written welsh as I find it easier to retain what i’m learning when I can read and hear it.
I found on the older course when I just listened, I would phonetically try and sound it out and would try to create the written word in my head. The majority of the time I would be wrong so this works much better for me. Llongyfarchiadau waith gwych

1 Like

I have just tried AutoMagic and I love it for two reasons.

1/ I can see the written Welsh which is great

2/ I seem to be able to get my Welsh out quicker seeing the written English as I can eliminate the ‘to’s and so on as I think when I’m hearing the Welsh I’m busy trying to process the words inbetween which Welsh doesn’t use and I end up losing the plot! i.e I want ’ to’ learn Welsh - Dw’in moyn dysgu Cymraeg. So this is a bit of a game changer I think for me and the way I might learn going forward?

I wasn’t sure on one thing though? With the normal voice sessions you know you have 30 mins, but with this there didn’t seem to be a cut off, or a way to get onto the next level?

Thanks Laura

3 Likes

There’s no set time built-in, you can just leave anytime you feel like it, be it 5 minutes or an hour, and the program will keep track of the material it showed you, so it kind of advances automatically through the course material.

If you feel that material is repeated too often, you can restart at a higher setting, which means that old material is repeated less frequently while at the same time new material is introduced more quickly.

3 Likes

Came across my first issue, Progress doesn’t always save. Going from tablet to PC was ok but a session I did on pc has not registered when going back to tablet so I am repeating section. I did change speed on tablet so that could be a factor. I use the brave browser for both tablet and PC.

1 Like

Thanks Hendrik,

How do I restart at the higher level, I can’t seem to find how to do this? Thank you

Right at the bottom of the screen, there will be a symbol representing your answer to “how are you feeling today?”. If you click on that, you can change your answer to reduce or increase the difficulty level, allowing you to (hopefully) rapidly move past the stuff you already know as it repeats things less frequently.

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn

Thanks, Stacey - Brave isn’t currently in our list of tested browsers, so will add it to the list

This is a fabulous idea - and thanks to my friend Laura, a fellow SSiW student who I practise with on Zoom, for alerting me to it! For me, the frustrating thing about some of the SSiW lessons had been hearing a phrase that I could repeat, but I had no idea what it literally meant to put it into context (eg, in the early days, “mae dal eisiau i fi” just sounded like “medalla shaving” which seemed nonsensical to me, and it was only when Aran answered on the forum with the spelling that I thought “oh, THAT’s what it means” and after that, it stuck. So this new method is perfect for my way of learning.

Currently, I’m on week 30 so would like to be able to skip to something more advanced than “dw i eisio”, which is all I’ve seen and heard so far, but I appreciate this is early days. Will there be separate South and North Walian variants? (That’s asking a lot, I know!)

Anyway - great work, and thank you!

Chris.

2 Likes

There already are. You can find the selector if you click on the settings icon at the bottom left of the screen:

You may have to reload the page after changing the setting.
And from what I’ve seen, the program even tracks your progress for North and South versions seperately.

2 Likes

That’s great - thanks, Hendrik! It’s looking good - it’s still giving very easy stuff at the moment even though I’ve set the setting to the Fire Dragon one. Is that what we’d expect currently?

Yes, if you have just switched over to Southern, the program will start at the beginning again (at the top right it will tell you for how long you’ve been doing the course). The best you can do now is keep it on Fire Dragon until some more material is introduced.

(But seeing as you are on week 30, I’m not sure if there is any material in Automagic that you haven’t heard in the challenges before.)

1 Like

We’re going to speed up Fire Rocket Dragon to help with this kind of situation in the short term - we’ve got a better solution in mind, but it’ll take a bit of coding time, and the team is spread a bit thin at the moment, so that’s probably a couple of months down the road (at least).

Hi Deborah,

I am having problems logging on. Last month you kindly activated my new email address for me.

I tried the Auto-Magic but it doesn’t recognise my details.
This is probably my fault as I cannot find your message to me explaining what you did! Bet I flippin’ deleted it! :rofl:

Also, as my phone directly takes me to here on the forum, I can’t remember my password either. :roll_eyes: I do get irritated with myself. I am worried about sighing out of the forum in case I can’t get back in!

So sorry, I am sure it did work getting into my challenges which were downloaded onto my phone and computer. Not sure where anything is now so have got myself into a pickle.

Loving Nia’s videos though. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::wales:

1 Like

@annmoore if you want to use AutoMagic on the same device as the one you’re using to look at the forum, just click on the ‘Learn’ up at the top, then follow the steps through to the main website.

If you want to use the AutoMagic app on a different device, log into SaySomethingin using your new email address, that should take you into the main website. If you can’t remember your password for there, there’s an opportunity to click “Forgot password” as well.

Once you’re in, by either method, go to ‘Learn’ at the top and you’ll see an option for AutoMagic Beta. That should let you have access. You can also find a link to ‘Challenges’ there, so you can go directly to those.

Hope that helps! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, I’m in exactly the same boat. I’ve literally no idea where to find the ‘Learn’ to click on in the first place! Is that in the forum?? Help asap :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, ‘Learn’ is on the top bar of the Forum page :slight_smile:

@siaronjames

Not on top of my screen in app version 1.0.19

Ah - I don’t use apps. I only have it on pc. You’ll probably have to open SSiW in a browser on your phone, you should (I think) get the page with ‘Learn’ on it then.

@siaronjames
Yes, that’s helped me get to it. What a shame it doesn’t work in the app!

1 Like