AutoMagic launches next month - taster screenshot

@aran. There is a big knitting, crochet forum called ravelry.com where they lost a signficant number of members a couple of years ago because they revamped the site without taking into account disabled users, and refused, for quite a long time, to do anything about it. This was really awkward for people selling through the site as a high proprtion of their sales come through the site, but their customers couldn’t use it. I’m sure your tech people are using the accesibility measures for people like @catherine-evans-3, and those you don’t know about.

1 Like

wow that’s really interesting Margaret- to be fair until I was diagnosed with Menieres I had never heard of the condition - so it’s great others can learn about the technical issues people can face when challenged with health conditions. @aran if there’s anything you need to ask me about regarding the moving images please feel free to do so. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We’ll definitely have the fall-back position of continuing to use the current static files - we’re not going to be forcing anyone over to the new system - but I’m keen for us to solve for this in the new system as well, because I think it’s got such benefits for learning… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m unlikely to be using either version now, but will people be able to use the new version while walking the dog or doing the washing up, or driving to work? This was, is, a great selling point for the present version.

4 Likes

@margaretnock yes, as I understand it from our Tech Team, there will be a basic version which is just auditory so it can be used exactly like the original apps. Set it going, then get on with whatever you want to do.

2 Likes

We’ve got some thinking to do around how we solve for ‘no current internet connection’ situations, but there are a few different possible lines towards solutions… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m looking forward to trying Automagic as a review tool also, as I finished Level 3 last winter and have been slowly going through the old course Level 3.

Speaking of disabilities, I’m glad there will be a web version. I have motor dysgraphia and can only type on a full-sized keyboard. I have to use a stylus on a phone to do any typing or texting, which is slow and laborious. I avoid phone apps for that reason.

1 Like

Thank you so much for letting us know - hugely valuable insights for us here - in many ways, getting rid of the web-app would be a huge help for us, but we’re definitely not going to do it knowing that we’ve got people who wouldn’t then be able to access the courses… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This sounds great for a refresher course. I started SSiW in 2020 and finished last year. This year I’ve been doing the old course (while on my cross trainer) and Duolingo on my phone. I should finish Duolingo in November and I planned to then repeat SSiW, so this would be a great way of doing it.
I also heard about a couple of conversation groups in my area a year ago, but really didn’t feel I had enough Welsh (I know that’s not totally true but I was too scared to go). As soon as I finish Duolingo I’m going to start attending - I finally feel brave enough! I’d rather wait until I’ve redone SSiW, as it’s more geared towards speaking than Duolingo (and teaches the Welsh spoken in my area) but I know I can’t put it off forever :joy:.

1 Like

Ruth, some tough love here - get along to the conversation groups! Don’t let AutoMagic become another reason to delay! If you’re very nervous, have you thought about starting to practise with just one other person at a time to begin with? An hour a week of ‘no English’ conversation will show you very quickly how much you’ve got in the bank, and there are plenty of people in the Slack communities (support and WSP) who’d be happy to practise with you… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I won’t use it as an excuse to delay real conversations, I promise :joy:. I’ve actually got Welsh-speaking friends in our village, so I really have no excuse at all, other than the embarrassment :grin:. I love listening to Mike speaking (he’s from north Pembrokeshire) but might practise on his wife first (she’s originally from England but went to a Welsh-speaking secondary school and teaches in one). She’ll understand my pain. :blush:

2 Likes

Well done! It’s scary at first, but once you’ve done a couple of one hour one-on-one sessions you’ll be flying, I promise :slightly_smiling_face::muscle:

Thanks, Aran, you’ve given me a nudge in the right direction. :blush:

1 Like

:star2::heart::clinking_glasses:

This sounds great move forward-can’t wait to try it !

1 Like

It’s broadly ready - and being rolled out to the pilot project in schools, and for Mynediad learners - we should be able to start to roll it out to existing subscribers pretty soon now… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

do we have to opt out of the one with moving images- I’m one of those needing the “still” web version- do we have to click on a certain link when it rolls out?

1 Like

At the moment, we’ve got an on/off toggle in settings, but we’ll also be really keen for input on whether or not that is the easiest way to do it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have been waiting for this since you talked about it in 2019. I stopped asking, but never gave up looking. Finally saw your post today. Sign me up! I want to try this! I have a difficult time finding time to speak because of being in USA and just being too busy.

2 Likes

It’s certainly taken us a lot longer than we’d hoped!

But we’re in provision to schools, and testing, and bug-fixing mode at the moment, so it really is very, very close to general release now :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes