Anyone for a meet up in Sheffield?

Sorry folks, can’t make tomorrow or September. Hopefully October. Ruth

Is there a meetup today and if so room for a newbie.
Diolch yn fawr
Glyn

Dear all, just to say that although I am very keen to meet up at every opportunity, I am away for the September meet-up (assuming it is on the 8th) and, assuming again, that it will continue on the second Saturday of each month, I doubt that I can make the October meeting and definitely cannot make the rest of this year as I already have commitments on those days. Paul

The September meeting is on 12th. I am unable to go also.
Ruth

Sorry, yes, 12th (looked at wrong month on calander). Still can’t make it, back from hols on 13th. Paul

I can’t make the 12th either. Barnsley are playing at home again. An exciting League 1 clash with Swindon.

Hi I’ve just checked Sheffield United’s fixtures and they are playing at home at 15.00 on the second and fourth Saturdays of September, October, November and December, although not January. This may mean Bramall Lane has been closed to all traffic by the time we finish and although we start at 13.00 parking could be slightly more difficult for some people.

I’d like to propose that we shift from the 2nd Saturday of the month to the second Sunday, which would make this month the 13th September 2015 and next the 11th October 2015.

Please could you let me know if this would be better for you?

As well as general chit chat this month I have plans to play chinese whispers yn y Gymraeg to help those of us who feel nervous about accidentally coming out with complete gobble dee gook get that out of the way before trying to make ourselves understood.

If three of us can make it I’m also excited to try a new who done it game. This will involve you being given a character card with a name and one fact about them in English. A card from a duplicate set is placed un seen in an envolope. These are facts that have been based on sentences from the first few challenges of level 1. Each player will get 2 minutes to speak uninterrupted in Welsh to each other player as their character. So long as you include the basic fact you can say anything you want in welsh, just like a 3 minute swap but shorter. When everyone has heard everyone the concealed card will be brought out and the English fact read without the character name. Everyone then votes for who gave that fact. The team wins if the majority pick the right person. I’m hoping it will help those of us with small vocabularies practice listening out for stuff we do know and trying to make sense of it without the pressure of trying to reply while those with more welsh can practice letting it flow for longer in public without having to stop and explain. If it works we may be able to tweak it to be more of a game further down the line.

I also plan to bring a couple of other games I’ve seen that might work well in welsh and some of the resources I’ve picked up over the summer.

Please let me know if you can come on 12th September but not on the 13th. I will post here definitively which day it will be on Wednesday 9th September 2015.

Pob lwc

Hilary

Hi Hilary. You are making the meeting sound very interesting with the games.
Unfortunately I am unable to come either day this month. Sunday may be difficult for me any month.
Ruth

Ok from the response I’ve had I think the best plan is to stick with Saturday for now. So I will be in the cafe at hagglers corner from 13.00 this Saturday 12th September looking forward to meeting people to practice speaking Welsh with. I’ll put a picture of the Welsh flag on the table to make us even easier to spot! Look forward to seeing you.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to make tomorrow (my team Barnsley are at home again). Hope everyone has fun :smile:

I hope they had a good one Zebedee! I had an enjoyable couple of hours at the Hagglers. I had a lovely lunch, a slice of cake and two lovely Milk shakes, spread the word about SSIW to one of the staff and a couple of other people, did some knitting and made my way through my current listening exercise, two challenges and the first growth club recording. In fact all that was missing was someone to practice speaking some Welsh with. Hopefully I’ll see some of you there on the 10th October.

Hoping to be there
Ruth

Hi Hilary, reading the posts in chronological order, I got quiet excited about the change of day then… o diar, back to how it was. I was away for the September date but I might be able to make the October date. I’m going to have to re-read the game rules, didn’t follow, so if I don’t follow in English, what hope have I got in Welsh? Haha. Paul

Ah, 10th October. Barnsley are at home again. Same for the 2nd Saturday of November (the 14th). However, on Saturday 12th December, the reds are away! Hope to see you before the end of 2015! :slight_smile:

Hey guys - are the Sheffield meet ups still happening? If so, please could you let me know details for any forthcoming events. Thanks.

I’m afraid they haven’t in a while as there were a few months in a row where only one of us could make it. However I’m still keen to meet up and try out some of the Welsh I’ve been learning so we could work something out if you fancy it?

You’d be welcome in Leeds on Saturday. All the dates are in the Leeds meet-up thread and directions to the Brewery Tap, etc.

I’m happy to try a meet up in Sheffield again

Sorry won’t be there Saturday and probably not July either. Ruth

The timing of the Leeds events is always a challenge for me, as my daughter plays football on a Saturday morning - otherwise I would be there.

Would definitely be interested in doing something in Sheffield though if it is at an appropriate date and time, as it would be fantastic to have an outlet for the Welsh I have been learning.