Y Lili Dlos/The Pretty Lilly

Is there a particular signigance to this flower in Cymru? I ask because I’ve noticed the phrase - y lili dlos - comes up often in songs from the song,Galan Lan to lyrics by Ryland Teifi, Daniel Loyd and others…but have failed to find any information.

Hmm. Not that I’m aware of. Maybe it’s just a handy rhyme…:wink:

maybe it refers to the Snowdon lily? http://www.plantlife.org.uk/wales/wild_plants/plant_species_wales/?ent=213

6 Likes

I’m going to choose to believe that from now on :sunny: :thumbsup:

2 Likes

In Calon Lan, the lily is ar lan y mor, and Snowdon isn’t exactly that, so I always imagined water lilies by an estuary or possibly lilies of the valley?? Or even bluebells on the slopes beside the bay?

2 Likes

Are you perhaps thinking of the song ‘Ar Lan Y Mor’ rather than ‘Calon Lan’?

2 Likes

Maybe it’s a biblical reference, lilies cropping up as they do in the bible, though I can only think of ‘consider the lily’ at the moment.

3 Likes

Ah yes @pollypolly, great quote:

And why take ye thought for raiment?
Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow;
they toil not, neither do they spin:
Matthew 6:28 (King James version).

A pham yr ydych chi yn pryderu am ddillad?
Ystyriwch lili’r maes, pa fodd y maint yn tyfu;
nid ydynt yn llafurio nac yn nyddu
(Fersiwn Cymraeg Newydd)

3 Likes

I am a total idiot!! Put it down to a senior moment!! The lines popped into my head and I failed to follow them and realise they were from the wrong song!! Mae’n ddrwg gen i pawb!!

No problem at all. Official forum policy allows for one senior moment per week. :wink:

1 Like

(unofficial policy is that the moment can last all week…for which I’m grateful :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Oh, me too!!! :smiley: :wink: