World Book Day 2023 competition!

Hi Cetra,

This is a really cool challenge but I didn’t realise how tough it would be to keep it under 100 words!
Can I ask a question related to this;

Are word contractions counted the same way in Welsh?
E.g. is “dw i’n” 2 words rather than 3?

Can I be really cheeky and say “dwi’n” is just 1 word? I don’t normally write it that way but I’ve seen others do so.

Thanks for organising this!

1 Like

Hi Charlie! Yes, its a good challenge, isn’t it, and takes a bit of thinking about! A bit like a good puzzle! :slight_smile: You’re definitley safe with “dw i’n” as 2 words, not 3. I’ve also seen it written as “dwi’n” too and that would be one.:slight_smile: Its competitive so do what you need to do to get ahead! Happy to except slang as well as correct Welsh. Remember you can drop pronouns in writing which will save a few words and then there’s all those lovely short verb forms… Go for it!

1 Like

Thanks Cetra,

I thought I’d be fine but I seem to use more of them in Welsh than I do in English - or maybe I notice them more

Now you’re not going to share my niffy tricks with anyone else, right? :grin:

1 Like

Won’t tell a soul! :rofl:

1 Like

There’s a lovely article in Lingo360 about the competition! :smiley: And if you haven’t come across Lingo360 before its a great online magazine for learners! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Exciting news!! :smiley: As well as the chance the win free books - very kindly provided by the Books Council of Wales (Cyngor Llyfrau Cymru)! - you could also have your story read out by Aled Hughes on Radio Cymru!!! :heart_eyes: So why not have a go at writing a short story on a postcard to celebrate World Book Day! All the details are here:
Cystadleuaeth Diwrnod y llyfr.pdf (188.2 KB)
Go for it! Ewch amdani! :grinning:

4 Likes

Two weeks to go!! Win books! Hear Aled Hughes reading your story on the radio! No need to be a member of the club to compete! Ewch amdani! Go for it!!! :smiley: :books: :star_struck:

1 Like

Am I right in thinking you can enter more than once or am I making that up? I need as much Welsh practice as i can get! :grinning:

1 Like

You can enter as many times as you like @charlie-o ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

One week to go - closing date is next Saturday 18 Feb!!
Win books! Hear Aled Hughes reading your story on the radio! No need to be a member of the club to compete! Ewch amdani! Go for it!!! :smiley: :books: :star_struck:

This right here - I thought I was being brief with my story, until I entered it into a word-counter and got 300. Oops.

I really enjoyed this challenge though. Pob lwc i bawb! May the best storytellers win. :heart:

2 Likes

Yeah it was really good fun! Good luck to everyone else too!

1 Like

Quick! Take a sharp knife to it, there’s still time! :open_mouth: Use all the contractions you can think of, ditch the pronouns, go for short form verbs, and if you write how you would speak you can use little beauties like this:
“Dw i ddim yn gwybod” = 5 words but “M’bo” = 1 !! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Drum roll! :slight_smile: Its World Book Day tomorrow so the winners of the World Book Day competition will be announced - can’t wait!! :slight_smile: Watch this space!!

2 Likes

Are the results of the “postcard” competition out yet?

Yes! And, apologies I had to remove the post from yesterday due to a mix up with showing the wrong author against one of the stories! I’ll re-post the winning stories here once that’s sorted! :slight_smile:
Dwynwen Teifi was the judge, and here are her results:
Cydradd 1af - Nigel Homer #36 a David Williams
Cydradd 2ail - Robert Arnold #435, Verena Maser #287 a Lucinda Smith ( aelod newydd)
Cydradd 3ydd - Cetra Coverdale Pearson #82 a Charlie Owen #37
Cydradd 4ydd - Elizabeth Rees Gilbert #452 a Debbie Smith ( aelod newydd)
We’re very proud of everyone who entered - the standard was very high and we consider you all to be winners!! Llongyfarchiadau mawr i bawb!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

More winners’ work will be displayed soon :tada::postbox::wales:

1 Like

Joint third place @charlie-o :tada::wales:🥳

Apologies for the mix up

2 Likes

….and @Cetra

3 Likes

Joint 4th Elizabeth Rees-Gibert & Debbie Smith

3 Likes