Wildlife in Welsh

My daughter came home from school the other day and was saying titw tomos las and Robin Goch to me- blue tit and Robin. So I thought I would write her a list of the birds she has or is likely to see and I found the book I had didn’t have the Welsh for a few birds. Does anyone know of a resource of birds and animals where the names are in Welsh and English?

Yes, @ramblingjohn has this thread here with everything you will ever need to know. You’ll never need to buy a book, just read through the 2300+ posts there and you’ll likely find what you want. If not, just ask, he can and will answer all your questions.

2 Likes

Llyfr natur, Iolo Williams. will provide the wildlife book you need.

Edit: gruntis was very kind while i was typing this,
Cheers J.P.

1 Like

There’s are lists English-Welsh and Welsh-English in Y Geiriadur Mawr and as @ramblingjohn says Iolo Williams’ books are great for this, e.g. Llyfr Adar Iolo Williams, Llyfr Natur Iolo Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your replies.
@ramblingjohn do you happen to know what the Welsh for carrion Crow is?

Bran dyddyn - carrion crow.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

I didn’t fancy looking through the 2300 posts for specific things but then I found I could search for a word within a specific group of posts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Totally understandable, but it is an addictive thread and well worth working through gradually! I’m sure there are lots of repetitions, many of which are due to me, partly bad memory, partly not having been through it properly. At first I thought it was purely for pictures taken in Wales! Then I found I could post our Gwiwerod Coch (red squirrels)! Many bad pictures followed, for which I apologise! Maybe you and your daughter could take pics and put them in the thread?

1 Like

I have summarized much of the info in the What’s Outside thread in another post. Due to time constraints I am 830 posts behind though.

3 Likes

Wow. Thank you for putting link