What am I hearing--or missing? Ongoing help for the hard-of-hearing

Helo.

Mae’n ddrwg 'da fi, dw i ddim yn siwr beth ti wedi dweud:.

Challenge 13 ‘Someone who knows you…’ Am I hearing ‘Rhywun sydd yn nabod ti’…? or ‘Rhywun sy’n d??? nabod ti’

I have played this back several times and keep thinking a hear a d??? immediately before nabod. Am I?

I hope it is helpful to create this ongoing topic for the hard-of-hearing–a place where we can ask for clarification when we cannot quite make out some sounds.

Diolch yn fawr for being patient and jumping in to help us–help me!
Marilyn

2 Likes

I guess you are doing Southern (and I do Northern), so I don’t have this challenge handy.

“Rhywun sydd yn nabod ti” would be the more careful, “correct” version, but (at least on the Northern, IIRC), we soon move on to the more natural “'Rhywun sy’n nabod ti”.

i.e. the “sydd yn” becomes “sy’n”.

So if you think you are hearing a “sy’n” sound, you are probably right and it will be the second one.

I’ve done the southern course, and that looks right to me. What you’re hearing with the ‘d’ sound is the particle ‘dy’, which is basically part of the pronoun ‘you’. In Welsh, you put the pronoun before and after the word. So it looks like this: rhywen sy’n dy nabod di.

I’m not a linguist, so I might not have explained it completely correctly…but that’s the gist as I understand it.

1 Like

Great–thank you, that answers part of it–the shortened form, but I’m still puzzled by the ‘d’ sound I think I am hearing, but I see Karla has also offered some help…

This is truly a team effort–and ‘fair play’ what a team :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, so I am not imagining things and can sleep tonight! Thank you so much for explaining this. Onwards… phew, I’m enjoying this–I hope you are too!

1 Like

I’m sure Karla is right. I had completely forgotten about the “dy”.

(I’m not sure if it’s technically correct to leave it out, but I’m sure some people do leave it out sometimes).

@Karla is right and you also heard (at one point) the longer version of it which is “rhywun sydd yn dy nabod di.” (which is shortened to sy’n)

1 Like

You’re actually hearing very well to be picking up on that, if it hadn’t stayed with you from when it was introduced - yes ‘rhywun sy’n dy nabod di’… :sunny:

Marvellous Tatjana,

From my first day on this forum you have been one of my ‘mentors’ who always has helped and encouraged me. I am so grateful to you–diolch yn fawr.

I figured out that in the 30 days I have been learning (not counting the 5 days I as away hiking in the wilds, so out of contact), I have covered a lot of ground thanks to your upbeat, genuine support–and from others here too. A lot of ground for me being 7 lessons and 13 challenges. I am working on the 80% rule, so not perfect, but making progress. I want to reach #25 by 25th December–that’s my goal.

How’s this as a delightful benefit already–tomorrow I am going to a ‘gymanfa’??? in honour of the settlement of a Welsh Colony in Patagonia.

It is so lovely to be part of this huge, wonderful network. Diolch yn fawr eto for being so welcoming,
Marilyn

Sent from my iPad

3 Likes

Brilliant, thank you Aran. I can see it is review time to get that pattern fixed in m mind.

Thanks to this forum, I am now on Skype, and for the first time yesterday had the delight of speaking with a great lady in Wales-an advanced learner who also has major hearing loss. We both rely on hearing aids and technology to amplify and compress sounds into the spectrum of frequencies we still have access to. Some consonants are confusing or disappear, leaving just a sound, sometimes a ghost sound–hence my question. Being Halloween I wondered if it was a ghost :grinning:

So thank you all–I am motoring on.

Bless you all!
Marilyn

3 Likes

You’re doing very well Marilyn. Dal ati (keep at it).

1 Like

Thank you @MarilynHames. Reading such messages I don’t know what’s more brilliant - messages like this, @aran’s endless belief in me or the support of the whole forum, their will to siarad gyda fi, the fact that I’m really welcimed on here despite I was maybe rude many times …

Humble thank you to all.

I’m glad I could inspire you Marilyn and be of any help. You have be aware you did much more in much shorter time then I did and I bet you do just fine. To be honest I don’t go for that 80 % rule anymore but just pushing on (as Aran instructed) no matter what percentage I get. One day is a bit better then the other a bit worse. You as hearing impaired person doing course based totally on listening/speaking are doing superbly. I have no doubt about that.

Well, my progress reports and such stuff are going on and if you can pull something out of this too, I’m glad I ever started to write them down on here.

Keep going Marilyn as you do now and I have no doubt you’ll reach Challenge 25 until 25th December and fullfil your goal. In fact, if you’re on Challenge 13 it can be quite earlier you’ll do it.

Pob lwc!

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr!

Looks like you too are gleaning the benefits from both the Lessons and the Challenges.

I just completed a mini boot camp of my own, (more like a slipper camp in front of the fire with my feet up and pot of strong coffee) reviewing Lessons 1-7, and will continue to Lesson 10 before charging forward with the Challenges again on Monday or Tuesday. I am not a masochist, but both approaches appeal in different ways. Left brain, right brain maybe?

3 Likes

I had just started the Course 1 vocabs when the new Levels started arriving. I was finding the vocabs tough going and was curious about the new Levels so, I switched over to them. I completed was was available at the time: up to #11. I went back to the vocabs which were now much easier. Now, life has gotten crazy and I’m at a bit of a standstill. Hopefully I can get back at the lessons soon.

1 Like

Hello eto,

Another stray sound? Am I hearing/needing an “r” after Mae in the following (Gwers9, Course1) for “an old dog goes…” Mae’r hen gi yn mynd. Similarly, in “is the old dog going?” Yw’r hen gi mynd? What about “the young dog goes” mae’r ci ifanc yn mynd. And how about with cat, a feminine noun? Is there an easy rule for me to remember about the “r”?

Diolch yn fawr.

Mae isie i fi cysgu nawr. Nos da,
Marilyn

2 Likes

The only expression with “ci” I’ve found in Lesson 9 was negative so “Dyw 'r hen ci ddim yn moyn mynd.”

So if this is the right one you thought about then you definately hear “'r” in the sentence.

Unfortunately I’m not the relevant one to explain rules here. All I know is that if you speak about feminine (like cath) and you tend to say for example “the cat” you put “r” infront and the next letter softens (cath - "r gath).

“Mae’r gath yn mynd…”

Hope it helps in a way though.

Ac … Nos da. Cysgu yn da ac breuddwydion melys. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shwmae Marilyn. The ‘r’ is just the definite article (the word ‘the’). You shouldn’t be hearing it in the first example, though. ‘An old dog’ should just be ‘hen gi’, because as far as I understand, there is no indefinite article (‘a’ or ‘an’) in Welsh.

1 Like

This is what I understand also however you’ll find in the lessons many times that that “r” just appears. Don’t let to confuse you this @MarilynHames because what @Karla says should be right. At least that’s what we have been tauht though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Celtic vowels, particularly back vowels like ‘ah’, are prone to a “phantom R” sound. This isn’t the rolled Welsh R, but more like the British English non-rhotic R.

1 Like

Don’t overthink it, Marilyn - it’ll settle down for you in time… :sunny:

With these examples - ‘mae’ plus ‘y’ becomes ‘mae’r’, so ‘Mae’r hen gi yn mynd’ is ‘the old dog goes’… for ‘an old dog goes’ you don’t need the ‘y’ - old dog is just hen gi - so it’s ‘mae hen gi yn mynd.’

Yw’r hen gi yn mynd?
Mae’r ci ifanc yn mynd.
Mae cath yn mynd - a cat is going.
Mae’r gath yn mynd - the cat is going.

But it’s not really important for communication, so please don’t worry about it - continued exposure to the language will work it out for you… :sunny: