Welsh Weekends in Garth Newydd, Llambed

The new Welsh “codi hyder” (raising confidence) centre - Garth Newydd - has been officially opened in Llambed (Lampeter). There will be regular events happening there with the aim of increasing your opportunities to speak Welsh and grow in confidence.

Look here for some of the weekends scheduled already:
https://paned.cymru/collecti@Cetra lsh-days-out-and-courses

@cetra will be leading the gardening weekend coming up on 1-4 Sept and there are still vacancies in that one.

1 Like

The official opening of Garth Newydd is due to be on Heno on S4C at 7pm tonight! :grinning::heart_eyes: Such a lot of work has gone into getting the house ready to host groups wanting to improve their Welsh by immersing themselves in the language while doing things they enjoy there! I’m so excited about the upcoming weekend for garden lovers! We are going to have an amazing time! :smile: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

They kept us waiting, but here is: the official opening of Garth Newydd on Prynhawn Da on S4C!! Its about 15:30
:heart_eyes::star_struck: https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/852867744

1 Like

Da iawn! The part about the opening starts at about 15:20 into the programme, and it looks great!

1 Like

Diolch! Have just booked a weekend in October. Looking forward to it (I think).

2 Likes

We had an amazing time last weekend at Garth Newydd practising our Welsh, meeting local people and chatting about gardening! Here’s what the lovely criw who attended had to say: :heart_eyes: “Better than Nant Gwytheyrn!”, “Ardderchog!”, “The course was very well planned, a variety of tasks and an opportunity to hear the language in a natural setting - I arrived home exhausted but with a greater enthusiasm to carry on” (Oh yes, we keep you busy! :joy:)
If you’d like to join us sometime, keep an eye on @MarcusWhitfield 's website paned.cymru - we’re hoping to run another gardening weekend next year, but there are other weekends coming up that you might be interested in!

2 Likes

Hwrê! :smiley: We’re having another weekend in Welsh for garden lovers at Garth Newydd in June next year!
If gardening is your thing and you’d like to build your confidence in Welsh then come and join us!

Poster.pdf (2.6 MB)

2 Likes

I was confused by the month (Mehefin), @Cetra till I realised it referred to a previous gardening weekend.

The next gardening weekend is in Mehefin/June 2023 :grinning: (It was Medi/September last time!)

Thanks for the clarification and updated (very attractive) poster, Cetra. It was the “This Thursday to Sunday” in the original poster that threw me. I missed the reference to June next year.

Planning ahead is, I guess, as important as planting ahead for gardeners. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The reference is “This Thursday to Sunday stay…” to point out that this weekend starts on a Thursday, rather than on a Friday. :slightly_smiling_face: The lovely welsh speaking Head Gardener at Llanerchaeron, Rhys, does a guided tour for us on the Friday so we arrive on the Thursday night so we’re there for that! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks for the further explanation, Cetra. Popeth yn glir, nawr. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Marcus was talking about Garth Newydd and his experience of learning Welsh with Aled Hughes on Radio Cymru yesterday!! :heart_eyes:Marcus ar y radio yn siarad am Garth Newydd :slightly_smiling_face: Aled Hughes - Marcus Whitfield, Garth Newydd a dysgu Cymraeg - BBC Sounds :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I wish I could be there, Cetra. I’ll actually be in Wales that, but in a course at the Nant.

1 Like

A space has become available on the gardening weekend next week… who wants to to join us?!! Mae 'na le ar gael am y penwythnos garddio wythnos nesa - pwy sydd isio ymuno â ni?! :grinning: Welsh Weekends / Penwythnosau – Paned.Cymru

www.paned.cymru

New weekends advertised on paned.cymru website :grinning:

1 Like

These inmersion weekends are still running and a great opportunity to use your Welsh “in the wild” in a supportive environment. There is one coming up that sounds like it will be a lot of fun:

And here’s a comment from Ian James who will be attending the weekend:

“I’ve spent several weekends at Garth Newydd and will be going again for the Penwythnos Chwerthin. The weekend’s theme sets the tone and its location in the heart of Cymru provides the invaluable opportunities to meet other new speakers as well as a lot of first language speakers from the town who are really supportive. In my journey into Y Gymraeg, to be honest, I couldn’t do without these weekends and I would strongly recommend them to anyone who would want spend time immersed in the language.”

If you can’t make that one, keep an eye on www.paned.cymru for more opportunities.

1 Like

Welsh weeks now as well!

Run by Hwyliaith :partying_face:

1 Like

We’re looking forward to another amazing weekend in Garth Newydd on the theme of gardening at the end of May!! :heart_eyes: :sunflower: If you’d like to come along to build you confidence in Welsh and to enjoy the area in its Spring finery, we’d love to see you there! :rose:Garddio a Cherdded 24 -27 Mis Mai Single Room Cost £175 Deposit – Paned.Cymru

1 Like