Welsh punk: Yr Anhrefn

Who here is into old skool rock and metal ? The most famous Welsh punk band, Yr Anhrefn, with Rhedeg i Paris:

More about Yr Anhrefn: http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/Anhrefn

9 Likes

I like Anhrefn but Datblygu are the alpha and the omega of Welsh language music to my ears. Anhrefn put out a couple of Datblygu’s early records, chwarae teg.

Here’s the late, great John Peel introducing them on The Tube back in the day (you get a very brief snatch of Anhrefn too):

5 Likes

Can’t be real punk…they seem to know how to play their guitars… :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Thanks for these tracks.
It’s nice to show people that it’s not compulsory to like folk music if you live in Wales.

6 Likes

don’t forget about modern punk, pobl annwyl, breichiau hir have a fantastic EP on spotify, as do uumar!

3 Likes

Good to be reminded of how open John Peel was to new music, and how wide his tastes were.
And he had a unique way of combining a certain cynicism with optimism (there may be better ways of describing what I’m trying to say). He’s still much missed, obviously.

4 Likes

Llygod Ffyrnig for the 1st truly Welsh punk 45, and Twynau Coch, and Ail Symudiad

1 Like