Welsh produce in England

@mikeellwood Oh, you see, I had to tear one in half so I could show you the texture inside…

(We are not discussing where the other half went immediately thereafter.)

2 Likes

(I believe both halfs went there at some point eventually. - hehe) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sshhhhhhh… :wink:

1 Like

Tha’ts me by the way. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

to @triciaroberts and @AnnaC
I still got Hactos when I lived on Gower in 2002!!
Anna, your Welsh cakes looked perfect, exactly as all the best cooks in the village made! (I was not among them!).
Is @craigf suggesting eating them with clotted cream? I might like them better then!!
p.s. I like bara brith very much, much more than Welsh cakes!!

3 Likes

Thanks, @henddraig! I think an attempt at making bara brith is next on the list. But not right away, or I’ll get fat :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Hactos” for some reason reminds me of one of those Hogwart’s delicacies, like “Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans”.

Santa left me a jar of it with the Welsh Cakes. I figured it was a typical way to eat them. Also, since it’s not something we readily have in the US, you pretty much have to make your own if you want it.

1 Like

I’m surprised, considering how hard-core unhealthy it is. What if we found a way of deep-frying it and coating it in sugar? That way it would be available at every State Fair, right? :wink:

2 Likes

@craigf Santa was very good to you! I don’t think I’m going to try making clotted cream…that sounds a bit beyond my skills. And there’s enough butter in the Welsh cakes, I don’t think my doctor would have anything good to say about my eating clotted cream :slight_smile:

So true!

1 Like

LOL, well to make it successful here you’d have to replace all the fat with high fructose corn syrup. Most Americans haven’t realized that sugar will make you much fatter than fat will. sigh

2 Likes

I certainly have gained a few pounds in recent years. But my bloodwork comes back excellent so I guess I have good genes.

2 Likes

Neither have Brits. From my born-again low-carber perspective, the cream (if real cream) is the healthiest bit of it on its own (though you can have too much of a good thing). However, mixing cream and carbs, especially sugar, is not really a healthy combination, or at least it’s not a recipe for weight loss! :smile:

(So English cream tea is also out except as a rare, rare treat).

1 Like

You could have Cornish cream tea instead.
Jam on first rather than cream makes it much healthier than the way they do it just across the border in Devon! :wink:

2 Likes

Straight off the griddle, warm, no frills is the typical way! :wink:

But yes, if you get bored with that (how could you! :wink:) split in two with cream or jam is sometimes done. [by heretics! :grinning:]
Mind you, the ingredients themselves can differ wildly, as any living cooking tradition can, and all good.

But whatever you do, do not, not, NOT, sprinkle sugar on them.

That’s a hanging offence. Under the laws of Hywel Dda.

4 Likes

Don’t try to get into a spice/no spice argument with a fundamentalist, either. It almost always ends in tears.

4 Likes

Now you are making me very hungry - they look perfect!

2 Likes

I always thought clotted cream was Cornish, which people in Devon copied. I suppose, given that the Cornish are also original Brits. it could be from Cymru as well, but I never met it anywhere in the country before supermarkets!! Does anyone claim it as from their area? oh, thinks… Sir Benfro?

Jam on first, then cream in Cornwall, (apparently.)

And don’t forget to add in your jam to your “five-a-day” - even better if it’s a mixed fruit one… :smiling_imp:

Think how many of those an annual gym membership could buy…

1 Like